title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Rip -> Automatic Backup

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shiftee
    • Aug 2015

Rip -> Automatic Backup

Hi, this might be a bit leftfield but I thought it might be worth a shot asking here ...

My goal is to have a system in place where I can rip a CD to my PC and have the resulting files automatically copied to my NAS drive.

I've tried a few sync programs and I have the same trouble with all of them, which is:

1) dBpoweramp will create a file.
    2) The sync app will detect the new file and copy it across.
    3) dBpoweramp will then write the metadata to the file.
    4) The sync app may or may not notice that the file has been modified.

The result is that all of the files are copied to the NAS drive but some of them don't have the tag data included. Because the file size and timestamps are the same, it then takes a full body scan of my entire music folder to determine which NAS files aren't exact copies of the PC version.

Anyone else experienced this issue and have a solution I could borrow?
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Rip -> Automatic Backup

Hey Shiftee,

Originally posted by Shiftee
    Anyone else experienced this issue and have a solution I could borrow?
    I use a batch file after I've ripped my batch of CDs. This batch file contains calls of Microsofts robocopy to spread and sync my folders across my network to my openelec based media server and even to my NAS. My opinion is that the backup doesn't have to be synched in real time - it's early enough if you do it at the end of a rip job.

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      Hey Shiftee,

I use a batch file after I've ripped my batch of CDs. This batch file contains calls of Microsofts robocopy to spread and sync my folders across my network to my openelec based media server and even to my NAS. My opinion is that the backup doesn't have to be synched in real time - it's early enough if you do it at the end of a rip job.

Dat Ei
      I do essentially the same. After ripping job or tag editing job, I run FreeFileSync on my windows machine which mirrors my main unit (a linux server on the network) with a separate drive on a different computer (on my network also). Because I have my tag editor set to change the date/time stamp if I change anything, even just a tag edit, the backup job also picks up those minor changes and copies the changed file across to my backup. (This latter point causes some minor issues with programs that list my "new music" based on date files changed. This has the effect of showing in my most recent new music an old file that I only edited artist name. But I'd rather have this minor issue than have a lot of tag changes not picked up in my backup).

if you try to backup simulaneous with ripping, it won't pick up certain tags that are added at the end of a CD rip (e.g., ALBUM REPLAYGAIN)

Comment

• mville
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2008

How about creating a .bat (batch) file that contains the dos move directory command.

In CDRipper, add the Run External DSP which you can set to run the .bat file (After Batch).
        Last edited by mville; 08-13-2015, 07:22 PM.

Comment

• Shiftee
          • Aug 2015

Thanks for the replies guys. Good to know it's not just me.

I'm pretty much sold on the idea of manually running the sync after a rip/tag session but just out of interest, is there a way of automating a sync (ie running a sync program) at the end of a rip?

Comment

• Dat Ei
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Shiftee
            I'm pretty much sold on the idea of manually running the sync after a rip/tag session but just out of interest, is there a way of automating a sync (ie running a sync program) at the end of a rip?
            Look at mville's answer.

Originally posted by mville
            In CDRipper, add the Run External DSP which you can set to run the .bat file (After Batch).
            Nevertheless - a sync can be very time consuming (several minutes to hours), depending on the size of your library and where your target library is located (i.e. a NAS). So it's not the best idea to sync after every single rip.

Dat Ei

Comment

• Shiftee
              • Aug 2015

I'm with you.

Thanks again for your time guys.

Comment

Working...

]]>