title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

  1. #1

    Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    I am looking to purchase DBpoweramp to start my project of ripping my huge CD collection. I have no experience with any of this software. I see that there is tagging and Album art within dbpoweramp software. What are the major advantages of also purchasing Perfect Tunes to do this vs. DBpoweramp by itself? Please feel free to add any additional opinions that may go slightly beyond the scope of this question to help me understand.. thanks

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,024

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    PerfectTUNES is more about working with your already existing files, dBpoweramp CD Ripper is for creating new rips.

  3. #3

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    I guess I am doing both.. I am wondering after I rip the files, what dbpoweramp will and will not do vs. PerfectTunes

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by kwiat87268 View Post
    I guess I am doing both.. I am wondering after I rip the files, what dbpoweramp will and will not do vs. PerfectTunes
    post-rip, dbpa can't (1) check your rips against the AccurateRip database or (2) attempt to locate better quality (or missing) artwork and replace. PerfectTunes can do both of these, among other things. My recommendation: Buy Both! Excellent tools for a digital music library.

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,635

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Remember also, you can trial both dBpoweramp Music Converter and PerfectTunes before purchasing.

  6. #6

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Music Converter works okay, but Perfect Tunes is not worth the money. It's clunky, unreliable, un-intuitive, slow slow slow, so very slow.

  7. #7

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    post-rip, dbpa can't (1) check your rips against the AccurateRip database or (2) attempt to locate better quality (or missing) artwork and replace. PerfectTunes can do both of these, among other things. My recommendation: Buy Both! Excellent tools for a digital music library.
    Thanks, I am new to dBpoweramp and was wondering the same thing.

    I had a further question though: If AcurrateRip detects a track has ripping errors, what then? Can I do anything about it? If so, what?

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,024

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Some people will try to clean the cd, or try to rip in a different cd drive, and if they still cannot rip without errors, some will replace the disc.

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Some people will try to clean the cd, or try to rip in a different cd drive, and if they still cannot rip without errors, some will replace the disc.
    And sometimes with error rips I listen to the song and find that I hear no audio problems. It may be only a few frames (miliseconds) that are bad and it's not audible.

  10. #10

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    post-rip, dbpa can't (1) check your rips against the AccurateRip database or (2) attempt to locate better quality (or missing) artwork and replace. PerfectTunes can do both of these, among other things. My recommendation: Buy Both! Excellent tools for a digital music library.
    Ok, I'm still a bit confused. Under the Products page, the ripper technology for dBpoweramp is described: "AccurateRip compares your rip with the results from other people, if AccurateRip says your rip is error free, it is. dBpoweramp is able to obtain previously un-achievable levels of error recovery, through re-reading, c2 pointers and AccurateRip v2 (cross pressing verification)." https://www.dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper.htm

    Is this different from AccurateRip in Perfect Tunes?

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    39,024

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    It is the same, except in dBpoweramp Accuraterip is only checked when ripping a disc. PerfectTUNES only checks already ripped files.

  12. #12

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    It is the same, except in dBpoweramp Accuraterip is only checked when ripping a disc. PerfectTUNES only checks already ripped files.
    Ah, I see. So dBpoweramp checks and does its search during the ripping process, whereas Perfect Tunes can check and search on existing files. Good to know. Perfect Tunes would probably come in handy if I wanted to check old files that I suspect may have error problems.

    Thanks !

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Yeah, I have a similar question. I'm more than likely to purchase dbPowerAmp, but not sure if I should get the combo (for existing digital collection where I don't have physcial media (online purchase for instance)). I'm not sure if it's due to the limited functionality of trial, but PerfectTunes doesn't seem nearly as good as DBPA. Although dedup would be nice, I'm more interested in the MP3 tagging. DBPA queries 4 different DB's where as PerfectTunes appears to just be a manual process. If that's the case I can just use MP3tag.

  14. #14
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,364

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by brigrigg View Post
    Yeah, I have a similar question. I'm more than likely to purchase dbPowerAmp, but not sure if I should get the combo (for existing digital collection where I don't have physcial media (online purchase for instance)). I'm not sure if it's due to the limited functionality of trial, but PerfectTunes doesn't seem nearly as good as DBPA. Although dedup would be nice, I'm more interested in the MP3 tagging. DBPA queries 4 different DB's where as PerfectTunes appears to just be a manual process. If that's the case I can just use MP3tag.
    dBpa and PerfectTunes do entirely different things. They are not substitutes for each other. for ripping, converting, tagging, etc., dBpa is the program you want. PerfectTunes is good for checking AccurateRip confirmation "after the fact" post ripping and for checking for duplication and for finding different/better artwork (again, after the fact....)

  15. #15

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2

    Re: Perfect Tunes Capabilities vs. Using DB Poweramp by itself

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    dBpa and PerfectTunes do entirely different things. They are not substitutes for each other. for ripping, converting, tagging, etc., dBpa is the program you want. PerfectTunes is good for checking AccurateRip confirmation "after the fact" post ripping and for checking for duplication and for finding different/better artwork (again, after the fact....)
    No, I understand they are different. I'm not debating getting one over the other, but debating on whether it's worth getting PerfectTunes on top of dBpa. I would love an app that does what PT claims to do, but I was just expecting the same quality of dBpa (with the PT trial), specifically with ID tagging for my existing MP3 collection that I'm not able to re-rip with dBpa. Like when tagging with dBpa (pre-rip), it shows metadata from 4 different sources. I was expecting the same with PT but was disappointed that it looks like it's just a GUI to manually edit ID tags, without any online DB search for metadata. Unless this is because it's a trial, but the trial states that it won't allow you to execute any of the changes (ID tags, album art, delete dups, etc.). So that leads me to believe that the app would be identical to the trial with just the ability to actually execute on actions. I can do that now with MP3Tag (which actually does online lookup)...although the de-dup feature would be nice.

    Just disappointing...unless I'm wrong in that the purchased version is actually better.
    Last edited by brigrigg; 05-15-2017 at 08:57 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •