title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

R15.3 - Windows 10 - Wav properties and ID tags not showing

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zao
    • May 2014

R15.3 - Windows 10 - Wav properties and ID tags not showing

When right clicking a Wave file in Windows Explorer> Properties> Audio properties, I don't see any data other than the fact it's a .Wav file. I can't read or edit the ID tags either.

It seems to work fine with FLAC and mp3 files (only other ones I've tested), though.

I've tried uninstalling the program, rebooting then reinstalling + rebooting, but the problem persists.

Any ideas what's up?

Thanks
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: R15.3 - Windows 10 - Wav properties and ID tags not showing

Originally posted by Zao
    When right clicking a Wave file in Windows Explorer> Properties> Audio properties, I don't see any data other than the fact it's a .Wav file. I can't read or edit the ID tags either.
    Are you sure the wav file contains tag data?

Comment

• Zao
      • May 2014

Originally posted by mville
      Are you sure the wav file contains tag data?
      Yes. Definitely!

Comment

• Stealth DJ
        • Aug 2015

I had this problem also when I upgraded to Windows 10.

The fix:

I converted all the files to WAVE format with the dBpoweramp Music Converter. I just selected "Overwrite" when it said the files already existed and success! The WAVE tag data is now displayed in Windows Explorer or actually in Windows 10 its called File Explorer.

Comment

• Zao
          • May 2014

Originally posted by Stealth DJ
          I had this problem also when I upgraded to Windows 10.

The fix:

I converted all the files to WAVE format with the dBpoweramp Music Converter. I just selected "Overwrite" when it said the files already existed and success! The WAVE tag data is now displayed in Windows Explorer or actually in Windows 10 its called File Explorer.
          I have already tried that. That's a trick I always had to do to be able to tag files when I exported a Wav file from my DAW. But it's not working in W10. I even tried doing a clean install of W10 and it still wouldn't work. Maybe I am in the minority with this issue, I don't know..

Comment

• Zao
            • May 2014

Is there any news on this issue yet?

I've done another clean install of Windows 10 x64 and I'm still getting this issue..

I have Wav files - some of which I've tagged with Dbpoweramp. Windows explorer can read the ID tags, but Dbpoweramp can't see them - everything is blank. Dbpoweramp can't provide any audio properties on these files either. I also took some of these Wav files, converted them to mp3 or FLAC with Dbpoweramp, and then it could read the ID tags and show the audio properties of them. It seems to be ok with anything I've tried, other than Wav.

These files clearly do have the information attached to them, but Dbpoweramp just can't see it for some reason. It seems to be a bit of a bug. Maybe the bug is with W10, or maybe it's with Dbpoweramp, I'm not sure.. Is there any way the development team could try and repoduce it and figure out what the issue is? I'm kinda lost trying to figure this out.. Thanks!

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Which security software do you have? it suggests that the program 'GetPopupinfo.exe' is being blocked (this reads the tags and properties).
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
                • May 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
                Which security software do you have? it suggests that the program 'GetPopupinfo.exe' is being blocked (this reads the tags and properties).
                Thanks for the reply.

I'm only running Avast at the moment. I've never had any messages about the blocking of this file from Avast. But anyway, I tried whitelisting that file, and I even tried temporarily disabling Avast shields, but I still can't get Dbpoweramp to read the info from wav files. And just as a side note, Straight after doing a clean install of W10 (before installing any third party software or even making any changes to the Windows configuration), I installed Dbpoweramp straight away and it still had this issue. I've installed it several times since then and the issue persists.

I really can't think what could be blocking that file from running. As I say, Avast is the only live security software I'm running right now, and I'm sure it's not blocking it. I'll try reinstalling Dbpoweramp now with Avast disabled - will edit this post in a few mins..

Edit: Unfortunately that didn't fix it.. I also just remembered some more info that might be of use to you - As I said before, I had it working fine with Windows 7. A little while ago I tried running Windows 7 x64 and Windows 10 x64 in virtual machines via Virtualbox. I did this with 3 different host operating systems - Linux Mint, KXStudio and Windows 10 (all x64 OS's). In every test situation, I found that Dbpoweramp would work fine with Windows 7, but the problems I've been having still existed with Windows 10.

I wonder if Windows Defender is causing the issue. Thing is, it's disabled for me because I'm running Avast. I don't have any options to adjust Windows Defender settings because of this. Maybe at some point I'll try removing Avast for a little while and messing about with Windows Defender to see what results I can get. Anyway, if there's any more info I can provide you guys to help with troubleshooting, please let me know Hopefully the cause of the issue and the sollution will be clear soon..
                Last edited by Zao; 12-08-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Are you able to convert from Wave to say FLAC?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
                    • May 2014

Are you able to convert from Wave to say FLAC?
                    Yes. I can take any of these wav files whose ID tags and audio properties cannot be read by dbpoweramp and convert them to FLAC or other formats using dbpoweramp. After doing this, dbpoweramp can read their ID tags and audio properties, even though I didn't add any extra info to the files - all I do is convert them. Hope that helps

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

What happens if you try to run Getpopupinfo.exe manually?
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Zao
                        • May 2014

What happens if you try to run Getpopupinfo.exe manually?
                        I get a message saying "This application is not designed to run on its own".

Comment

• Zao
                          • May 2014

Are there any developments on this yet? Anyone else have this issue? I'm still stuck with the problem. I tried doing a registration retrieval and the latest version for my licence is R15.3, which is what I already have. Are there any later updates to version 15? Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

R15.3 is the latest of your branch. In R16 branch there is R16.1, but I am not sure this will help you as the issue is specific to your system.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>