title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ordering of discs in multi-disc album

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryJ
    • Jul 2015

Ordering of discs in multi-disc album

Hello
    I am fairly new to Asset, but I'm very impressed with how it works with my Cyrus streamer.
    I had one question. Why are the discs in a multi-disc album not ordered numerically. The discs have been numbered as 1/15, 2/15, 3/15 ... 10/15, 11/15 ... 15/15 (via iTunes when the CDs were ripped).
    However, in Asset the discs appear in the order: 1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 2, 3 etc for the album.
    Many thanks for any help
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ordering of discs in multi-disc album

It is likely the Cyrus which is alphabetically sorting the album track listing, as Asset orders correctly by track number, you can try a different control point (such as Asset Control, or Kinsky) to view what Asset gives out.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• HenryJ
      • Jul 2015

Thanks. I looked at this 15 CD multi-album on mediaconnect. The individual CDs are also out of order on this. (As I said the problem is the order the individual CDs within the album are presented. The tracks within each CD are in the correct order.)

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Ah discs...albums are always presented alphabetically.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• schmidj
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2013

If you sort alphabetically, 11, 12 to 19 comes before 2. If you add a leading zero to the disc number below 10, disc 01,02, etc. they will sort correctly. This is true of any alphabetic sort, not just in Asset.

Comment

• HenryJ
            • Jul 2015

Thank you for the helpful information.
            I have discovered that disc number must be a numeric field in iTunes as it seems to be impossible to add a leading zero to the metadata via iTunes. I'm not quite sure how to work around this.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by HenryJ
              I have discovered that disc number must be a numeric field in iTunes as it seems to be impossible to add a leading zero to the metadata via iTunes. I'm not quite sure how to work around this.
              For new rips you can tick the Pad disc number to 2 digits option, found, in:
              CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag

For existing rips, you can use an action in MP3Tag to add a leading zero for all discnumber < 10

This may help the ordering in the Cyrus streamer, but you are right regarding iTunes, which will drop the leading zero beacause it is numeric.

Comment

• HenryJ
                • Jul 2015

Many thanks for all of the help - is there a Mac equivalent to MP3Tag?
                Thanks again!

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Sorry, I don't know.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Thanks again!
                    You can use mp3tag on a Mac. See:
                    Mp3tag is the universal Tag Editor for Mac. It supports editing of metadata and cover art for many different audio and video formats (MP3, MP4, FLAC, WAV, ...), file renaming, metadata import and repeatable actions.

Comment

• daleyb
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Oct 2014

This is of Interest to me because Iam thinking of buying the Cyrus Stream XA. At present Iam still ripping via DBPA to H.disk.However, Iam not putting ANY TICKS Pad disc number to 2 digits option, found, in:
                      CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag. Iam leaving them empty then after rip going into MP3TAG And using Autonumberwizard to put 1/12, 2/12 Etc.... IS this O.K or will it cause the same problem down the line..????

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by daleyb
                        This is of Interest to me because Iam thinking of buying the Cyrus Stream XA. At present Iam still ripping via DBPA to H.disk.However, Iam not putting ANY TICKS Pad disc number to 2 digits option, found, in:
                        CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag. Iam leaving them empty then after rip going into MP3TAG And using Autonumberwizard to put 1/12, 2/12 Etc.... IS this O.K or will it cause the same problem down the line..????
                        Depends on how the Cyrus Stream XA handles discnumber. Ask the Cyrus Stream XA developers for a definitive answer.

Comment

• daleyb
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2014

That makes for a Common sense answer- and I will contact them.Maybe HenryJ could tell us the best way...? On how he rips...

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

Maybe HenryJ could tell us the best way...? On how he rips...
                            There is no best way, just 2 ways as in Discnumber has a leading zero or it does not.

Different softwares sort the character strings and depending on how smart the software is you could get the following ascending sort ordering:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

or

1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 2, 20, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

As in most cases, we are unable to determine how the software sorts the characters, so adding a leading zero will always give:

01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

regardless of the software. It is a simple choice for you, whether to add the leading zero or not.

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

after rip going into MP3TAG And using Autonumberwizard to put 1/12, 2/12 Etc.... IS this O.K or will it cause the same problem down the line..????
                              FYI, along with the padding options in CDRipper >> Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag, the MP3Tag Auto-numbering Wizard allows you to pad track numbers.

Comment

Working...

]]>