title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DSD handling

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mihaylov
    • Jun 2014

DSD handling

Hi! Tell me please why "DSD handling: 'as is' sends untouched audio/x-dff or audio/x-dsf. 'as Wav' decodes the DSD to PCM" 24bit 96 kHz, but not 24 bit 192 kHz?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: DSD handling

Anything above 45KHz in DSD is ultrasonic noise.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mihaylov
      • Jun 2014

OK. Thanks!

Comment

• nautibuoy
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mihaylov
        Hi! Tell me please why "DSD handling: 'as is' sends untouched audio/x-dff or audio/x-dsf. 'as Wav' decodes the DSD to PCM" 24bit 96 kHz, but not 24 bit 192 kHz?
        It's not to do with ultrasonic noise.

Your DAC may not support native DSD streaming but may support DoP, which packages DSD to look like 24bit PCM for the purpose of getting it to the DAC. If it is getting DoP, your DAC should recognise the packets as containing DSD from the packet header and process them to pass DSD to the actual decoder. In the meantime, because the data is packaged as 24bit PCM that is what is likely to be reported on a control point, at a sample rate appropriate to the DSD rate. You can find a fuller description of DoP here;

Comment

• Mihaylov
          • Jun 2014

Thanks!

Comment

• Mihaylov
            • Jun 2014

Why it is impossible to select "Decoding Down Sampling" for DSD conversion to WAV as in dBpoweramp Music Converter:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	dsd.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	292977
            Why 96 kHz but not 88.2 kHz is recommended?
            Last edited by Mihaylov; 09-12-2015, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

I do not understand, you image shows you able to select the option.

96Khz is a common samplerate which players can play, 88 is not.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Mihaylov
                • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
                I do not understand, you image shows you able to select the option.
                Why it is impossible to select "Decoding Down Sampling" for DSD conversion to WAV "on the fly" in Asset UPnP Configuration as in dBpoweramp Configuration?
                Last edited by Mihaylov; 09-12-2015, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Mihaylov
                  Why it is impossible to select "Decoding Down Sampling" for DSD conversion to WAV "on the fly" in Asset UPnP Configuration as in dBpoweramp Configuration?
                  I'm guessing here, but maybe the realtime processing involved is not achievable within the DLNA protocol specification.

Comment

• Mihaylov
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
                    Anything above 45KHz in DSD is ultrasonic noise.
                    Yes, of course. But the high sampling rate not only allow to playback signal with the higher frequency, and also to produce more accurate recovering of the analog signal in the audible frequency range (20-20000 Hz) during digital to analog conversion. And SQ is higher due to it.
                    For example: I set up MinimServer on Qnap TS-459 Pro for my friend for playback of the dsf files on Linn Klimax DS/1. He told me that the same record in MinimServer option dsf -> wav 24;176 "on the fly" sounds better than in option of offline conversion by dbpoweramp dsf-> wav 24;96 - more air, the scene is more, localization is better, music instruments are more accurately tracked. (SACD Living Stereo RCA Heifetz - Double Concertos). But offline conversion by dbpoweramp dsf-> wav 24;176 sounds as good as dsf -> wav 24;176 "on the fly".

Comment

• Mihaylov
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by mville
                      I'm guessing here, but maybe the realtime processing involved is not achievable within the DLNA protocol specification.
                      It's achievable. At least it's so in MinimServer.
                      Last edited by Mihaylov; 09-15-2015, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Mihaylov
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by nautibuoy

Your DAC may not support native DSD streaming but may support DoP, which packages DSD to look like 24bit PCM for the purpose of getting it to the DAC. If it is getting DoP, your DAC should recognise the packets as containing DSD from the packet header and process them to pass DSD to the actual decoder. In the meantime, because the data is packaged as 24bit PCM that is what is likely to be reported on a control point, at a sample rate appropriate to the DSD rate. You can find a fuller description of DoP here;

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard
                        I mean transcoding option DSD->WAV but not DSD->DoP.

Comment

• Mihaylov
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by nautibuoy

http://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard
                          I mean transcoding option DSD->WAV but not DSD->DoP.

Comment

Working...

]]>