title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Display Album Release Year before Album Name

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheEmpathicEar
    • Aug 2014

Display Album Release Year before Album Name

[I think I may have asked this question before, but could not find it. LOL]
    How can I get the Album Release Year to display before the Album Name? i.e. [2005] Born to Run (for Springsteen)
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Display Album Release Year before Album Name

Display how? in which program?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Spoon
      Display how? in which program?
      I am trying to get this happen with the CD Ripper.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by TheEmpathicEar
        [I think I may have asked this question before, but could not find it. LOL]
        How can I get the Album Release Year to display before the Album Name? i.e. [2005] Born to Run (for Springsteen)
        Your question doesn't make it clear what you mean....i.e., exactly what "display" you wish to change...but I'll go out on a limb and guess that you want to add the YEAR data to the actual ALBUM name. (Based on your chosen example, guessing you might want to distinguish the 30th anniversary edition of Born to Run from the original album....?)

Anyway, if that's what you want to do, there are a couple approaches. For just one or a small number of albums, simply type in your "custom" album name in the ALBUM window at the top of the CD Ripper window. So simply type in "[2005] Born to Run". If you want to apply this construction to all your albums rips, you can automate it using the ID Tag Processing DSP. Open that DSP, select the "Manipulations" tab, then scroll down and select "Rule-Based Manipulation." Try adding this rule to apply for all rips whenever this DSP is in use:

If YEAR=[anyvalue]
        Set ALBUM=[(YEAR)] [ALBUM]

If, instead, it's the file name you want to change, you customize the format of your file names with the Naming String in CD Ripper (it's in the lower left corner). Click the "Set" button next to the string and then, using the available tag variables and punctuation elements, construct the file name structure you want. Using a very simple example to demonstrate how you'd add the YEAR data:
        [artist]\[album]\[track] - [title] --->file name "Bruce Springsteen\Born to Run\01 - Thunder Road"
        [artist]\[year] [album]\[track] - [title] --->file name "Bruce Springsteen\2005 Born to Run\01 - Thunder Road"

As you can see, the naming string is simply a template for how your file names will be formatted.

Note: The file name structure has no bearing on how the album is searched, navigated, or displayed by your players The file names are just how the files are organized on your hard drive....your playback devices use file names to locate files, but use their internal metadata for navigation and display.
        Last edited by BrodyBoy; 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by BrodyBoy

If, instead, it's the file name you want to change, you customize the format of your file names with the Naming String in CD Ripper (it's in the lower left corner). Click the "Set" button next to the string and then, using the available tag variables and punctuation elements, construct the file name structure you want. Using a very simple example to demonstrate how you'd add the YEAR data:
          [artist]\[album]\[track] - [title] --->file name "Bruce Springsteen\Born to Run\01 - Thunder Road"
          [artist]\[year] [album]\[track] - [title] --->file name "Bruce Springsteen\2005 Born to Run\01 - Thunder Road"

As you can see, the naming string is simply a template for how your file names will be formatted.

Note: The file name structure has no bearing on how the album is searched, navigated, or displayed by your players The file names are just how the files are organized on your hard drive....your playback devices use file names to locate files, but use their internal metadata for navigation and display.
          Thx and sorry for the confusion! It's the above I was trying to describe. The only additional thing I want is the album year in the above with brackets around it. i.e. file name "Bruce Springsteen\[2005] Born to Run\01 - Thunder Road" I like the brackets because they make it clear that the year is NOT part of the album name. And, brackets are special characters? Do you need to use '[' or something like that?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

[artist]\[[year]] [album]\[track] - [title]

Is what you need.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
              • Aug 2014

Is what you need.
              Thx! I think I was confusing the Title syntax here with Foobar.

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
                • Aug 2014

Is what you need.
                I'm sorry. I open up CD Ripper, go to "Naming" and click on "Set". It's here where I get confused. Do I take the above and replace what's in the part of the "Naming" - that is "[album]\[track] - [title]" - field with the above?
                Last edited by TheEmpathicEar; 07-26-2015, 01:54 AM.

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

I'm sorry. I open up CD Ripper, go to "Naming" and click on "Set". It's here where I get confused. Do I take the above and replace what's in the part of the "Naming" - that is "[album]\[track] - [title]" - field with the above?
                  To be absolutely certain about what needs replacing, what is your current Naming string?

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
                    • Aug 2014

Originally posted by mville
                    To be absolutely certain about what needs replacing, what is your current Naming string?
                    "[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]", I'm guessing this is the default?

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

"[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] - [title]", I'm guessing this is the default?
                      Replace \[album]\[track] - [title] with \[[year]] [album]\[track] - [title] so the full Naming string is:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[[year]] [album]\[track] - [title]

Just to confirm, in CDRipper, the Album Release Year you refer to is the Year tag and you aren't using a custom user-defined tag?
                      Last edited by mville; 07-26-2015, 02:42 AM. Reason: confirming tag usage

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
                        • Aug 2014

Replace \[album]\[track] - [title] with \[[year]] [album]\[track] - [title] so the full Naming string is:

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[[year]] [album]\[track] - [title]

Just to confirm, in CDRipper, the Album Release Year you refer to is the Year tag and you aren't using a custom user-defined tag?
                        I just want the release year - no month or day - just the year. [And, BTW, thx!]

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

I just want the release year - no month or day - just the year. [And, BTW, thx!]
                          The reason I ask is there are often 2 Years to consider for a CD release. CD release date and album release date.

In your example of [2005] Born to Run (for Springsteen), I think you are referring to a CD release year of 2005, as opposed to the album release date. Born To Run was released in 1975.

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
                            • Aug 2014

The reason I ask is there are often 2 Years to consider for a CD release. CD release date and album release date.

In your example of [2005] Born to Run (for Springsteen), I think you are referring to a CD release year of 2005, as opposed to the album release date. Born To Run was released in 1975.
                            I assume you are referring to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Born_t...ersary_Edition. It does get a little confusing at times. I have some remasters where I use the original release year and some where I don't. I guess it's as a good time as any to start being consistent.

Comment

• TheEmpathicEar
                              • Aug 2014

*** It has been quite a while, I hope I don't have to start this thread all over again ***

1. The above string results in the "Year", "Month, and "Day", rather than just the year, as part of the file/folder name.
                              i.e. "Album Artist\[2011 08 12] Album Title\05 - Title" I want just "2011" in brackets and not the month and day.
                              2. I think, generally, I want the CD release year. But, this is not as important.
                              Last edited by TheEmpathicEar; 07-20-2016, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>