title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

NOTE: Any posts to this forum on or after 16th April will disappear in few days when we transition to a new forum

Thread: want external drive to retry bad rips - important to get one with different offset?

want external drive to retry bad rips - important to get one with different offset?

Hello! Just started using dbPoweramp a few weeks ago; love the product. I've encountered a smattering of tracks that didn't rip perfectly, so I was looking into getting an extra (external) drive to see if the rips fared better there.

Now I want to make sure I am interpreting a part of the documentation correctly -- Having drives with two different offsets will increase my chance of getting a secure rip? So if my current drive is +6, I should go out of my way to find a drive that is something different?

Or did I misinterpret, and simply using a different drive is what matters the most?

I ask because +6 is what I have inside my laptop, and that offset seems to be very common among the external drives currently on the market. The computer shop by me only has one drive from the AccurateRip database that is listed as a different offset! So I'm thinking of jumping on that one, since there are apparently only 3 left in stock.

If this truly doesn't make a difference however, I will probably grab one of the cheaper 6+ models.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: want external drive to retry bad rips - important to get one with different offse

My interpretation (and my own approach) is simply having a different drive is the key, not the offset. And I can often get good rips on one drive when I can't on another, even if both have same offset.

Administrator

Re: want external drive to retry bad rips - important to get one with different offse

Often the internals of the drive can be the same, even across different manufacturers, a different offset implies different internals.

Cool I think I'll go for it. Thanks!