title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Any Way To Set Volume Level of Recording When Ripping a CD?

Any Way To Set Volume Level of Recording When Ripping a CD?

Hi. I would like to know if there is a way to increase the volume level of the recording when ripping a CD? I am trying to rip some CDs using the Apple Loseless Format so I can play them on my Apple Ipod Touch 5. The regular volume level they rip at is a little bit low for my hearing capabilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Administrator

Re: Any Way To Set Volume Level of Recording When Ripping a CD?

If you increase the volume it is likely the tracks will clip, as these days popular cds have no headroom to be increased.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If you increase the volume it is likely the tracks will clip, as these days popular cds have no headroom to be increased.
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. How can I increase the volume? I'd like to try it and see if I can increase the volume without getting any clipping. Thanks again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Hi. Thanks for your reply. How can I increase the volume? I'd like to try it and see if I can increase the volume without getting any clipping. Thanks again.
    Apple's Soundcheck can help if this is just a problem with certain albums, but it doesn't work with Apple Lossless. So if you do need volume normalization, you'd have to select a different codec (mp3, AAC, WAV, of AIFF), then turn on Soundcheck in the iPod so that it can scan your library and apply the tags.

If, on the other hand, the problem is that the level seems too low on everything , I'd check your iPod settings or perhaps try different headphones. iPods have a volume limiter (to protect both ears and headphones), and some headphones can seem noticeably "quieter." (I'm not sure why that is, in technical terms, but I've definitely noticed it.) Also, headphones with incompatible volume sliders (incompatible with Apple's implementation, that is) can cause some volume control issues.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Hi. I would like to know if there is a way to increase the volume level of the recording when ripping a CD? I am trying to rip some CDs using the Apple Loseless Format so I can play them on my Apple Ipod Touch 5. The regular volume level they rip at is a little bit low for my hearing capabilities. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You shouldn't need to increase the ripped volume levels of the CDs, as Spoon says, increasing these levels will result in clipping.

Look at the player software on the Apple Ipod Touch 5. If the volume is too low, I suspect this is where the problem lies.

Thanks to all for the input.