title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Files with ._

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Grim_Ripper
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2014

Files with ._

Hi,

Not sure I'm in the right area. Basically my synology NAS is backing up my flac files to a usb external drive with ._ duplicate files. They have never been near a Mac. Synology sent offering much help.
    Basically just want to make sure, are my flac files ok ? Does it matter a duplicate file with ._ prefix in front with the same name but in KB, matter ? I'm in windows and don't know why I see them. If I ssh to the folder and do a ls -la they don't show up. Seems to be the copying process.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Files with ._

They are additional files, the original flac files are untouched.

It would be good for you to track down what is creating these files.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Aug 2014

Not sure what else I can do to find out what is causing them.

They only appear on about 75% of the music files as well, which is strange.

I've FTP to the NAS and done a SSH connection. When I do a ls -la directly to the NAS these ._ files are not shown. If I map a drive to the NAS through my windows laptop and directly copy the files from the NAS to a USB attached to the laptop and copy and paste the files no ._ files appear. I've been speaking with synology and they are telling me the files can not be created by the NAS. They were originally ripped to a QNAP NAS and copied from the QNAP NAS to the synology. I don't get why I can't see them directly on the NAS.

So they don't affect the original flac files one bit ? I want my backup to be a backup, not with flac files that have been modified in some way. I've even run perfecttunes against the NAS and they seem ok. Got me concerned with regards to my flac files which are backed up.

Any advice would be great.

Comment

• drjenkins
        • Feb 2006

You might want to join this thread at the Synology forum.

Looks like a few others without Macs are getting ._ files.

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Aug 2014

Can you assume me that my flac files are fine and not been modified in anyway ?

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Aug 2014

Anyone?

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Until you know what created the ._ files you cannot be 100% sure that it did nothing to the originals.

If you want to be 100% sure, install PerfectTUNES and run the AccurateRip component on your library, it will:

a) check the flac files looking for CRC errors
              b) check against AccurateRip showing any ripping errors.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Aug 2014

I have done this spoon and seemed fine.
                Hard to check the the 24bit files that have been downloaded, but audio tester said I was ok.
                The date and time have not changed, only these additional ._ files have a new date and time. You did mention that the flac files will be untouched.

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2014

Sorry Spoon, bit confused. You mentioned that the flac files would be untouched. Panicking now they could have been modified. Very stressful :(

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by The_Grim_Ripper
                    Sorry Spoon, bit confused. You mentioned that the flac files would be untouched. Panicking now they could have been modified. Very stressful :(
                    If you ran PerfectTunes against your FLAC files and didn't get any errors, you're fine. And by errors, I don't mean "not matched", as this is not an error, just a non-match. Another thing you can do is to do a "bulk conversion" with dbpa, but choose to "convert to" [TEST CONVERSION]. If you have any FLAC files that have been modified since they were created, you'll get reported errors here (that is, CRCs don't match). No reported errors and you're fine!

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2014

Thanks garym, think you know how I worry
                      Can't work out where these ._ files come from

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Thanks garym, think you know how I worry
                        Can't work out where these ._ files come from
                        the synology thread posted earlier suggests that others are having this same issue. When I google "._ files" I see lots of discussion of this issue. For example,
                        When users copy files to some destinations other than the boot drive, they might get multiple files created, some of which can be invisible for some operating systems but visible in others. For the most part these files wont cause problems, but in some in

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Aug 2014

Thanks. Yes I saw a few as well. Synology support seem to think it's something from my end creating them. Can't see where or how. Stressing me out a bit.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Thanks. Yes I saw a few as well. Synology support seem to think it's something from my end creating them. Can't see where or how. Stressing me out a bit.
                            well if its on your end, its also on the end of several other users. So doubtful it is something unique to your situation. And in any case, you can easily test your FLAC files to make sure they are unchanged and still valid. And you've already done this, so you know there is nothing to worry about with regard to your original FLAC files.

Comment

• The_Grim_Ripper
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Aug 2014

Thanks again Garym, the voice of reason. Anything unusual or different seems to put me on edge, as you know !
                              This has helped greatly,if there's doubt be sure I'll be worried !

Comment

Working...

]]>