title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper window not visible when open

CD Ripper window not visible when open

Hi everybody, I recently updated my ATAPI iHas124 A DVD RW drive, which I use to rip CDs (yes, it's a old). Since I did this update, when I open CD Ripper, it shows that it's open in the bar at the bottom of my computer, but the Ripper window itself (maximized) is not visible. When I roll over the screen with my mouse, the various CD Ripper prompt boxes show up just like the CD Ripper screen is there, and I can't click on my desktop icons, so the Ripper screen is there and open, but not visible. It's like having an invisible CD Ripper window open on my desktop. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper window not visible when open

And you are running Windows Vista?

Dat Ei

Hi all.

I have literally just had what seems like the same problem after coming back to my laptop to rip some more cd's after a break of a few weeks. I have paid for the Reference version of cd ripper. When I originally opened the program up and inserted a cd into my drive, it ripped the first track and then dbpoweramp crashed (froze). I have since shut down, restarted my laptop a few times, and closed down dbpoweramp through Task Manager. However, now when I double click the icon on my desktop I get the same minimised problem as cut-the-flac. Also on my desktop screen I get the message Insert Audio CD into : D: [HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM GT20N]. I have ripped many cds over the past 8 months or so and never had this problem before.

I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, 2007, SP2. Although I have just seen a link in my System Properties to upgrade Vista so maybe that is what the problem is?

having same issue - anyone got a solution?

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, there is a solution. It is a problem coming from one of the latest Vista Updates. Please look for the other threads in this forum. There you'll find the concrete update you'll have to uninstall.

Dat Ei

Administrator

Many thanks indeed Spoon. Uninstalling that update worked for me. I assume it wasn't a critical one? (I am no expert but I don't think a lot of MS updates are as critical as they might lead you to believe).

Thanks to both Dat Ei and Spoon! Uninstalling Windows Vista update KB3057839 per the link Spoon provided did the trick.
    Spoon, just for kicks I also tried the second fix option provided on the link (Select Properties >> Compatibility and enable the option 'Disable Desktop Composition), but all my options were grayed out. I couldn't check the 'Disable Desktop Composition' box or any other box. Any idea why?
    Last edited by cut-the-flac; 07-01-2015 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Corrected wording for clarity

Following further advice from Spoon and Brodyboy I have managed to hide the KB3057839 update. However, the following link explains (although I don't fully understand it) why MS think the security update is needed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3057839

Does this sound like a critical update or should a good anti virus program cover the risks? Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as although uninstalling the update seems like it is our solution to the dbPA problem, I am just concerned that it might actually be a very important one for other reasons.

Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerboy View Post
    Does this sound like a critical update or should a good anti virus program cover the risks? Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts as although uninstalling the update seems like it is our solution to the dbPA problem, I am just concerned that it might actually be a very important one for other reasons.
    KB3057839 is a Windows Security Update for all supported versions of Windows and Windows Server OS's. In theory, it should be installed.

It is installed on my Windows 8.1 64-bit PC and I have no problems with CDRipper. Why there is a problem with CDRipper and Vista is still a mystery. IMO, uninstalling this update is only a temporary solution and the underlying problem needs fixing.

I second that. The uninstalled update returns after a while, so I had to uninstall it again. Can the good folks at dBpoweramp work on solving the underlying problem so that we don't have to keep using the temporary solution of uninstalling the Windows update? Would be greatly appreciated by us Vista users.

Administrator

The first message:

https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...aks-dBpoweramp

Indicates how to stop the update reapplying.

The 2nd message shows where we are upto with this issue. We have done code review after code review, there is nothing wrong with our code that we can find.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Spoon, thanks for the update on this issue.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cut-the-flac View Post
    Can the good folks at dBpoweramp work on solving the underlying problem so that we don't have to keep using the temporary solution of uninstalling the Windows update?
    You can hide windows updates, so they don't install.