title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Program not compatible with Windows 7

Program not compatible with Windows 7

I posted a problem I was encountering when I first loaded dBpoweramp some months ago, where dBpoweramp didn't appear to be integrating with Windows 7 - the main problems being that meta data was not being displayed when the cursor was over a track and the program was not showing up on the uninstall control pane . The advice I was given was that Internet Security software (Norton) was causing the problem and that I should remove this program. As I was too busy at the time - and I was also slightly reticent to remove my Internet security - I have only just removed my Internet security software program and loaded the latest version dBpoweramp (i.e. 15.3). However, the program is still not working properly and is still not integrating with Windows 7 - where I am getting a message stating that the program is not compatible with Windows 7. I really need to get this problem sorted out, please let me know what needs to be done so that this program is compatible with Windows 7 and I am able to see the meta data when my mouse is hovering over a ripped file in Explorer.
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Program not compatible with Windows 7

I have this program installed on two different win7 machines and don't have any of the issues you describe. And there are many Win7 users of the program. Something is obviously wrong with the install, but it is not as simple as "not compatible with Win7".

Are you still running NORTON? If so, can you uninstall temporarily as a test. What about 3rd party firewall programs (not the built in windows firewall)? Where/when do you get the message about not being compatible with win7? Can you do a screen shot of that and post it here?

I have tried replicating the error message but it doesn't seem to be coming up at the moment - I believe the message came up when running the dBpoweramp configuration application. However, as you say, there is something wrong with the install - despite having installed it both with and without Norton being installed. As I mentioned, I have removed Norton entirely from my PC and dBpoweramp still isn't installing properly in that the meta data isn't being shown in the Explorer app - I don't have any other firewall programs other and those that form part of Window 7 os. I have had this problem since originally purchasing the application back in February - and other people seem to have experienced the same problem - clearly it seems more than the interface between dBpoweramp and an internet security programme.

Any help to resolve this problem would be much appreciated as the application isn't acceptable in its current form.

dBpoweramp Guru

what do you mean by metadata not showing in explorer app. Do you mean the Windows File Explorer program? Does it show any of the metadata or just not all of it. I just did some checking on my FLAC files and mp3 files in windows explorer in Win7 (and once I select detail view and tick the appropriate columns in Windows File Explorer) I see metadata in Win file explorer (album, artist, genre, etc.).

Does dbpa actually work in terms of ripping CDs at all? The only windows issues I've seen posted lately have to do with those running windows Vista (and after a windows update dbpa wouldn't work), but that's a different issue and has been resolved. Do you have any threads you could point to with others having similar issues to you?

dBpoweramp Guru

You can right click on a FLAC file >> Edit ID Tags?

it shows metadata?

If dBpoweramp configuration does not run, it suggests an error on the HDD, because the installer checks its self when it installs with checksums, if the installer finishes it is 100% correct what it installed, however if the HDD has errors that is another matter. Try running a scan on the HDD checking for errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by hollyh View Post
    I have had this problem since originally purchasing the application back in February - and other people seem to have experienced the same problem - clearly it seems more than the interface between dBpoweramp and an internet security programme.
    Maybe you are referring to my posts in which I wrote about my right click problems with dbpa 32bit (no dialog came up). Those problems are history since the latest release of and update to R15.3.

Dat Ei

The specific thread, other than my previous one, was started on the 27 December in the 'How Do I' section, which ran through to 6 March 15 (Mebobo started the thread and Vanblerk came in with the same problem afterwards). With regard to my specific problem, in the Windows Explorer app, when a ripped file is selected, the meta data is shown at the bottom of the Explorer page (along with a copy of the CD illustration) - this corresponds the information shown in the 'Thumbnail and Property Handler' section of the Windows Integration page of the Help file, but all the other features shown on the Windows Integration page don't seem to work or be available.

Administrator

You can post a screen shot? upload to somewhere like postimage.org and provide a link.

Hi Spoon,

I haven't used postimage before so hopefully this link works and you will be able to see enough detail to make sense of it - I have taken two screen shots, one with the cursor just placed over a selected file and a second where I have right clicked on a file. Any comments, suggestions you can provide would be appreciated.

http://postimg.org/gallery/2v26r22ri/

Administrator

Unistall dbpoweramp, reboot windows, then reinstall.

I have reinstalled Norton 360 back on to my machine. Would you recommend that I uninstall Norton again before uninstalling dbpoweramp (dbpoweramp isn't showing up on the Windows list of programmes that can be uninstalled so on previous uninstall I have used the dbpoweramp-reset programme - in the circumstances is this the best uninstall option?).

dBpoweramp Guru

I do not know what to suggest, a simple part of the program an uninstall entry does not appear, check every program you have installed as something blocks not just the installer but dBpoweramp also.