title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Conversion of 320kbps MP3 to 192kbps

Talking Conversion of 320kbps MP3 to 192kbps

Hi!
    I want to convert 320kbps MP3 to 192. Will the quality with DBA converter go down? If yes, how?
    Or 192 is just optimal from size/quality?
    Does it depend much on track quality? The file is rather old but with restoration.

Also what settings will you recommend for M4A to MP3 conversion from the quality point of view?
    Size/quality?
    Thanks

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Conversion of 320kbps MP3 to 192kbps

Hey royalpiano,

Quote Originally Posted by royalpiano View Post
    I want to convert 320kbps MP3 to 192. Will the quality with DBA converter go down?
    the quality will decrease for sure - not just with DBA, but with any converter, because you convert a lossy format to an even lossier one.

Or 192 is just optimal from size/quality?
    Does it depend much on track quality? The file is rather old but with restoration.
    192kbps can be a good compromise between size and quailty, especially for mobile audio devices like an iPod or a car audio system.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

converting from one lossy format to another (320 to 192) may or may not produce audible loss of quality. Hard to say. Try it and test with listening.

But, if it were me, I'd never convert lossy 320 to lossy 192. The space savings is simply not that much and why risk the 2nd "lossy" generation copy. Of course, all this is why we always recommend ripping to LOSSLESS around here. Once you have lossless files, you can decide to create a set of lossy files as many times as you want. you can create 320mp3 for one use and a bunch of 128 mp3 for use on your phone, with no issues because one is going from LOSSLESS to lossy (rather than Lossy to Lossy).

Thanks.
    Yes, conversion is not a case... I thought that I must use 192s only.
    But will be enough 192-256 kbps MP3 for online radiostation with modern Internet for comfortable audition?
    As I see in my Win, Wi-Fi gives 54mbps - the radio sounds cool, there are some minor delays sometimes with metadata.
    In Russia Internet is not as good as in Europe. If the stream comes from Europe, the delay must be not very big if datacenter gives good speed.

Is there big diff-ce between 256 and 320 kbps, does it influence on online radiostation hearing, if the signal comes from Europe to Russia?

dBpoweramp Guru

It is highly unlikely you could tell the difference between 256 and 320, or even 192 and 320 with most music. I find that even 128 internet radio is just fine.

Thanks!
    And what's about tech requirements for datacenter - will be load on it much bigger, if listeners will listen 320 kbps music comparing to 128?
    Bandwidth etc? I'm choosing what to use - 256-320 or 128-192. If signal comes from Europe to Russia, will be any difference on 54mbps connection and good speed from datacenter in these 2 cases? Can 320kbps stream work seamlessly on not very fast Internet?

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks!
    And what's about tech requirements for datacenter - will be load on it much bigger, if listeners will listen 320 kbps music comparing to 128?
    Bandwidth etc? I'm choosing what to use - 256-320 or 128-192. If signal comes from Europe to Russia, will be any difference on 54mbps connection and good speed from datacenter in these 2 cases? Can 320kbps stream work seamlessly on not very fast Internet?
    Please clarify whether you are asking about simply receiving streams as an end user OR are you trying to setup yourself so that YOU are providing an internet radio stream to other users?

Keep in mind that even 320kbps stream is tiny compared with streaming an HD movie. But the only way to test for yourself on your internet connection is to simple stream some different bit rates and see if you get any dropouts or buffering. Are you thinking that 54Mbps is slow? That is actually quite fast internet connection and should easily stream HD movies, lossless files, 320kbps, etc. (assuming you mean the connection is 54Megabytes per second and not 54kbps)
    Last edited by garym; 06-17-2015 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks
    Yes, I'm testing my own radio on the web.
    Meta sometimes works slowly with delays.
    Youtube also gets slowly sometimes.
    By the way, do you know, is Gracenote is a part of Itunes Store that rarely used or all boughts in the store are done with that and cannot be commercially used as stated in license? I'm trying to test on some file

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks
    Yes, I'm testing my own radio on the web.
    Meta sometimes works slowly with delays.
    Youtube also gets slowly sometimes.
    By the way, do you know, is Gracenote is a part of Itunes Store that rarely used or all boughts in the store are done with that and cannot be commercially used as stated in license? I'm trying to test on some file
    I know itunes store uses Gracenotes for metadata. I have no knowledge of the law on use of itunes songs in a streaming radio station (or any other songs for that matter, although I do know there are costs associated with commercial streaming, even "free" streaming such as radioparadise.com). I think that many of your questions are not really about ripping and converting files (but instead about how to stream files over the internet). Not sure where, but your questions might be better posted on a forum more related to those issues. Perhaps: hydrogenaud.io

It's more clear now, thanks.
    I'll test how will work M4A->MP3 conversion

And after conversion, is it all OK with volume? Can MP3 get some dB smaller?

dBpoweramp Guru

And after conversion, is it all OK with volume? Can MP3 get some dB smaller?
    I don't understand your question? You are trying to get the volume lower using volume normalization or ReplayGain (apply)?

No, I mean, can by chance the volume get decreased after conversion? Some tracks may have been played with decreased volume.

dBpoweramp Guru

No, the volume of the converted files will be the same as the original, unless you CHANGE it by using the Volume Normalize DSP or ReplayGain (Apply) DSP.

Big thanks!!