title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Wrong Metadata

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Wrong Metadata

I bought the CD called "Wassail" by Big Big Train mail order from Burning Shed. When I ripped it for playback on my Linn system, the metadata showed that the four tracks were by The Lost Prophets and one of them was a video. The track listing was completely different from the audio, which was indeed by Big Big Train, so I could do my own corrections.

Obviously Burning Shed and also the band are concerned how this happened. Any ideas?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Wrong Metadata

The identification of a CD bases on a checksum, which is calculated on the data of the TOC (table of content). In rare cases different CDs generate the same checksum. The result is that the metadata databases will return the wrong metadata. So this can happen, but it is just an rare exeption.

Dat Ei

Administrator

Click the review metadata button it is possible that one provider has the correct listing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Visoflex View Post
    I bought the CD called "Wassail" by Big Big Train mail order from Burning Shed. When I ripped it for playback on my Linn system, the metadata showed that the four tracks were by The Lost Prophets and one of them was a video. The track listing was completely different from the audio, which was indeed by Big Big Train, so I could do my own corrections.

Obviously Burning Shed and also the band are concerned how this happened. Any ideas?
    You have to check the metadata is correct before ripping.

The metadata provider databases are full of errors which need correcting manually, before you rip.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks for all your help. The data held by AMG was wrong.