title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CD Ripper and Batch Converter No Longer Show in Windows Vista after Security Update

Re: CD Ripper and Batch Converter No Longer Show in Windows Vista after Security Upda

I cannot restore this Vista machine to an earlier setpoint. It fails to restore every time. It's been that way for years and I have lived with it.

I did remove update KB3057839 via control panel - programs - programs and features - view installed updates. CD Ripper is now working again!

Thanks for figuring out which update was the culprit Art. What do you mean when you say you have hidden this update? I'd like to hide it too so windows will quit nagging to reinstall it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper and Batch Converter No Longer Show in Windows Vista after Security Upda

Quote Originally Posted by jhr123 View Post
    Hi Spoon,

I too just tried the download, but no change.

This maybe a good excuse to purchase a new computer.

jhr123
    Or at least a new OS.

Absolutely no intent to offend or bash anybody in this thread...I know what it's like to want to stay with a preferred setup...but Windows Vista is ancient by computing standards. Its latest release was 6+ years ago, primary support ended 3+ years ago, and next month, it becomes 4 generations "old" in Microsoft's OS lineage. No matter how much you like it, there comes a point where you just can't expect other programs to accommodate backward compatibility anymore. The choice to continue using Vista means accepting a growing list of hardware and software that simply aren't compatible with, or supported on, your computer....it would appear that dBp is joining that list.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by magee35 View Post
    What do you mean when you say you have hidden this update? I'd like to hide it too so windows will quit nagging to reinstall it.
    In Windows Update, you can right-click on an available update and choose "Hide Update." It won't install and won't appear in your updates list anymore. (You can always click on "Restore hidden updates" to bring it back.)

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Or at least a new OS.

Absolutely no intent to offend or bash anybody in this thread...I know what it's like to want to stay with a preferred setup...but Windows Vista is ancient by computing standards. Its latest release was 6+ years ago, primary support ended 3+ years ago, and next month, it becomes 4 generations "old" in Microsoft's OS lineage. No matter how much you like it, there comes a point where you just can't expect other programs to accommodate backward compatibility anymore. The choice to continue using Vista means accepting a growing list of hardware and software that simply aren't compatible with, or supported on, your computer....it would appear that dBp is joining that list.
    Hi BrodyBoy, if i had my way, i'd stick with Windows XP.
    Microsoft has drained enough of my money with Dos/Win3.1/Win95/98/Millenium/XP/Vista/and Windows 7. (and yes, i do still have my Dos Diskettes )

Windows 7 is what i'll most likely install on my PC, but that means having to re-install all the software, and it can get time consuming.
    Perhaps I'll just a get a new PC. My wife will just say "you need another PC?".

Can a man ever have too many PC's?

dBpoweramp Guru

Haha...yes, as a matter of fact, I think he can! I'm currently changing out to a new NAS and trying consolidate/coordinate all my files from various PCs and Macs and iDevices....oy vay, what a mess! Personally, I'm partial to Windows 7. I have tried Windows 8 and 8.1 and frankly, "hate" is not hyperbole. :( I'll probably migrate most of my machines to Windows 10 over the next year because....like Vista....Windows 7 is going to become increasingly obsolete. But I really despise the whole "app-based" Metro interface and the way other software has tried to follow suit (Sonos is a cogent example, for our purposes). Ughh....

Administrator

Nicely done Art, Spoon and everyone else - I just removed the KB3057839 from my updates, rebooted and all is well. I launched CD Ripper and it appears to be fully functional once again. Perhaps it is time to update my OS - I use this Toshiba Satellite to perform tasks like ripping etc., but it does appear that time is passing it by - especially when updates can clobber your favorite programs. It is the oldest system in the house - I never had any trouble with it until now, so I guess the red flag goes up and the update will commence soon.
    Much appreciated all!

Administrator

This is the first time I have ever had an issue like this with a Windows update, going all the way back to Windows 95, so 15 years.

Just a note to say thank you for this thread and the practical help offered. I am not a regular Forum user but was driven to these shores by not being able to open CD Ripper on my Vista system. How grateful I was to find fellow sufferers! I duly uninstalled Windows Vista Security Update KB3057839 and all appears to be working well again. Thank you. Roger

Hi all

I uninstalled the KB3057839 from my updates and dbPA worked but then today my machine seems to have automatically reinstalled the update, resulting in the computer crashing again, disabling dbPA and simply switching my computer off partway through me ripping a cd ! Has anyone else experienced this and is it possible to stop this particular update from re installing? I assume as Brodyboy said that it is possible to Hide updates so I might try that. Long term though, I agree, it seems that it is time to move on from Vista and get a new PC with better OS installed. I agree that XP was great but does anyone have any suggestions which OS works well with dbPA? I am assuming it has to be Windows 7?

Administrator

You can uninstall the update, then run Windows Update >> Check for updates, and hide that update so it is never automatically applied.

Vista was a bad OS (if you ask me) Windows 7 is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    You can uninstall the update, then run Windows Update >> Check for updates, and hide that update so it is never automatically applied.

Vista was a bad OS (if you ask me) Windows 7 is ideal.
    Thanks very much Spoon. I agree about Vista and remember not hearing many good things about it when it first came out. Would never have chosen it myself but somehow I have ended up with my girlfriend's laptop which had Vista pre loaded and which she hardly uses! Time to get a new machine!