title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Question about Family Pack licensing

Question Question about Family Pack licensing

I have a Family Pack license for R15 and now that a Mac version has been released I'd like to install it on my Mac. However, based upon the Registration Retrival page I am presented when downloading the most recent version of R15, it appears that my only option is to "switch" my license to "Apple." Does this mean that the Family Pack doesn't take into consideration a household where some members use Macs and others Windows? Must I purchase a new license in order to use dBpoweramp on my Mac?

Administrator

Re: Question about Family Pack licensing

The two platforms are separate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    The two platforms are separate.
    So I do have to purchase a new, non-upgrade, Family Pack license if I want to be able to use Mac or Windows versions within my household? That's a bit of an old-school licensing scheme.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LazLong View Post
    So I do have to purchase a new, non-upgrade, Family Pack license if I want to be able to use Mac or Windows versions within my household? That's a bit of an old-school licensing scheme.
    Yes, as you appear to only have the Family Pack (Windows) product, which includes up to 5 Windows PC licences only.

The Family Pack (Windows) and the Family Pack (Apple) are different products and considering the price of these products, IMO illustrate are providing excellent value for money.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, as you appear to only have the Family Pack (Windows) product, which includes up to 5 Windows PC licences only.

The Family Pack (Windows) and the Family Pack (Apple) are different products and considering the price of these products, IMO illustrate are providing excellent value for money.
    Agree on value. I don't think this is that "old school". If one wants microsoft office products for windows and OS, one must purchase separate licenses. And anyhow, I spend way more on buying music every week than I spent on the dbpa product!

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Agree on value. I don't think this is that "old school". If one wants microsoft office products for windows and OS, one must purchase separate licenses. And anyhow, I spend way more on buying music every week than I spent on the dbpa product!
    In my opinion, this is a bit apples/oranges. You are arguing single-PC licenses vs. "family" or "household" licenses. The more correct analogy would be a comparison to Microsoft Office 365 Home, which does indeed provide licenses for both Mac and Windows versions to the household.

Being an IT professional, and having observed the industry for 20+ years, to me it appears old-school. The business trend has been to price/license multi-platform products identically across platforms, to the point where it is common for the license key to be identical across platforms. For non-commercial software that is often sold as"family" or "household" licenses, such as anti-virus and backup products, this is likewise true, especially as the phoenix-like rise of Macs has resulted in an increasing number of mixed-platform households.

Whichever, it's up to Spoon to license as he sees fit.