title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: "Error unable to open file"

"Error unable to open file"

After about a 2-week pause in CD ripping, using the exact same gear, I now cannot rip any CDs, including those in perfect new condition, in CD Ripper or Batch Ripper, . At the end of trying to rip the disc, every track has "Error unable to open file". This happens either with a 1 yr. old Toshiba Tecra laptop with 16GB of RAM, Core i7 CPU and a mostly empty SSD or with a Nimbie USB Plus. Files are on a Synology DS214play NAS. The only thing that changed in the last 2 weeks is that Toshiba suggested I download and install some files to improve certain functionality. This seemed minor at the time and I can't remember what it was exactly. I will call Toshiba tomorrow and see if I can uninstall whatever went in. I tried disabling AVG Anti-Virus, rebooting the laptop and also installing the latest R15.3 program, all to no avail. There is no AutoPlay interference from another program. I can successfully rip the same discs on my desktop even with AVG enabled, but that is not a good place for me to do ripping for a number of reasons and I also need to use the Nimbie for Batch Ripper.

To see a sample of the text report at the end of ripping, go to https://www.dropbox.com/home/DBPOWER...BPOWERAMP.docx .

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: "Error unable to open file"

I just get a Drop Box sign-on page when I click that link.

Generally, though, that type of error message means that dBp is being denied access to the target location. When you say "Files are on a Synology NAS," do you mean that that is the designated path location for ripped files? Have you tried ripping to the local hard drive on the laptop? If that succeeds, you can be fairly assured that the issue is an access problem with your NAS.

Administrator

Use Windows explorer and browse to the exact location dBpoweramp is set to write to, and try to create a text file.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I just get a Drop Box sign-on page when I click that link.

Generally, though, that type of error message means that dBp is being denied access to the target location. When you say "Files are on a Synology NAS," do you mean that that is the designated path location for ripped files? Have you tried ripping to the local hard drive on the laptop? If that succeeds, you can be fairly assured that the issue is an access problem with your NAS.
    You nailed it BB! Yes the NAS is the designated path location. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the NAS wasn't showing up on the network as a Computer from the laptop, but it was from the desktop. Instead it was showing up as a Media Device. But discs were still ripping to the NAS with dBpoweramp on the laptop. Or it would show up as a Computer, but require me to sign in with a password from the laptop, but not from the desktop. Again, I could still rip discs. Today a Windows 7 window opened asking me to sign in using my network password, but told me either user name or p/w was incorrect. I know the p/w is correct, although I tried a few variations on it and also tried the password I set up in the NAS. Nothing worked so I changed the user to admin and it still wouldn't accept any usual password. All components are connected to the same network by wire in the same room, although the desktop is connected to the router and the others are to a high quality gigabit switch. I have sent an email to my IT guy because I can't figure this out myself. If you have any suggestions, my ears are open.

Sorry about the dropbox link. I tested it in a new browser window and it worked for me, but maybe because I am always signed into it on my computer. Try this one - https://www.dropbox.com/s/kta58sm5sl...RAMP.docx?dl=0

Spoon, thank you and since I can't access the NAS from my laptop at all, there's no point trying to write a text file.

dBpoweramp Guru

Is the NAS mapped as a network drive on your laptop? If not, try this:

1. In Windows Explorer, click on "Computer" in the left panel.
    2. From the top menu bar, click on "Map Network Drive"
    3. In the pop-up dialog box, select a drive letter and fill in the path to your NAS. Based on your error message,
      it looks like it's probably "\\DiskStation\Music"
    4. When you get the logon pop-up, use "admin" + your DiskStation p/w
    5. Once the DIskStation shows up in Windows Explorer with a drive letter, use that to specify the dBp PATH location