title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: FLAC rip in dBpoweramp vs Foobar2000

FLAC rip in dBpoweramp vs Foobar2000

Out of curiosity I ripped a CD in dBpoweramp and then the same CD in Foobar2000 (both set at compression level 0).

dBpoweramp rip file size: about 385MB
    Foobar rip file size: about 285MB

At first dBpoweramp had FLAC 1.3.1 and Foobar had FLAC 1.2.1. I thought that might be why the variation. I switched up Foobar so it is now using FLAC 1.3.1 and tried again. Same result.

It seems no matter what you rip, image or tracks they all come out smaller when using Foobar.

Not really a big deal. Just curiosity is all. My logic (!) says if you are using the same version of FLAC, it shouldn't matter what ripper you use.

1. Does anyone know why there would be a difference in file size?
    2. Whatever the reason, I assume it makes no difference to the perfect copy of the CD, correct?

Thanks
    Last edited by crucifyd; 06-01-2015 at 11:26 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: FLAC rip in dBpoweramp vs Foobar2000

Perhaps dBpoweramp is embedding album art? That would account for the larger file size.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglescout1998 View Post
    Perhaps dBpoweramp is embedding album art? That would account for the larger file size.
    It is about 100 MB difference...seems like a lot for album art to me...and I have everything set up not to include it anyway.

I also tried making a FLAC in Foobar from the original FLAC ripped in dB and I got the same result.

No matter what I try in Foobar, either "convert" from the original dB rip or rip it directly from the CD in Foobar, it is always about 100 MB smaller than the dB version...

Administrator

dBpoweramp version is 16 bits?

well, I downloaded it after entering my order number @ https://secure.dbpoweramp.com/getorder.aspx

Is there a way to check for sure?
    Is there a way to make sure dB and all the codecs etc. installed are 64-bit?

Administrator

Sorry I meant the flac files are 16 bit? for both