title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: No encoder specified

No encoder specified

Hey,

I just tried ripping a CD. It is two Schubert Sonatas, one with four tracks and one with three. It ripped the first sonata fine, but the second was errors for all three tracks, with a description "no encoder specified". Has anyone encountered this before?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: No encoder specified

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingbee View Post
    I just tried ripping a CD. It is two Schubert Sonatas, one with four tracks and one with three. It ripped the first sonata fine, but the second was errors for all three tracks, with a description "no encoder specified".
    To confirm, this is a single CD with 7 tracks?

Please can you provide more details e.g. Platform/OS, dBpweramp version, output file format (flac or mp3 etc.), target destination (local hdd or NAS) etc. etc.

Administrator

If using OS X, then update to the latest R15.1 release.

It is a single CD with 7 tracks. I am using OSX 10.9.5, dBpoweramp version 15, outputting flac, target destination NAS. I am in the process of upgrading to 15.1. Will report if the situation improves

Have downloaded 15.1. The error tracks are not going through a re-rip cycle of 2700 frames. Is there anyway to rip so that I don't ever have to encounter this?

Administrator

R15.1 stopped the error message about no encoder?

On that CD, yes. But now there's a re-rip problem. Is there a way around having to wait through 3000 odd frames to rip?

Administrator

Switch to burst ripping, and not rip the disc securely.

dBpoweramp Guru

On that CD, yes. But now there's a re-rip problem. Is there a way around having to wait through 3000 odd frames to rip?
    A re-rip problem on all CDs or just the one?

dBpoweramp Guru

I occasionally have CDs with way more than 3000 frames to recheck. That's the price of doing secure ripping--some CDs will require a lot of time or even trying to rip them using different drives.

It's the odd CD. Some are just fine, others are a problem. I'll try burst ripping again. Do I have to restart the app for it to kick in?

dBpoweramp Guru

Some are just fine, others are a problem.
    Scratches on the CD surface, a bad pressing or a CD material problematic for your drive can be the reasons. Things happen...

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Scratches on the CD surface, a bad pressing or a CD material problematic for your drive can be the reasons. Things happen...

Dat Ei
    yep, it happens. And it can even happen with a brand new, never played CD. Sometimes there are minor manufacturing defects that cause problems. But sometimes, trying to rip on a different drive can work when the first drive didn't.

Thanks all