title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: DSP Effects - HDCD option missing from list in my Reference 15.1 Trial Version!

DSP Effects - HDCD option missing from list in my Reference 15.1 Trial Version!

Hi Everyone.

I have just dipped my toe into the murky waters of computer audiophilia and have purchased a Melco N1A music server to add to my dCs Vivaldi DAC.

I have used DVD-Audio Extractor to rip Hi-Rez files from some DVD-A discs I have and the results have been excellent!

I downloaded the 21-day trial of dBpoweramp v.15.1 to my MacBook Pro in order to start ripping my CD collection. The first discs I tried today were some K2 20-Bit Jazz recordings of the Bill Evans Trio and after reading the documentation about configuring the software for ripping, I looked in vain for the HDCD option, which is apparently supposed to be within DSP Effects, to rip the K2 discs at 24-Bit resolution.

I am unable to locate the HDCD option so went ahead, thinking this latest version of dBpoweramp might auto-detect the 20-Bit encoding. However, when I transferred the files from my Mac to the Melco, they play as plain vanilla 44.1Khz/16-Bit!

As a complete novice at this, can anyone please assist or point me in the right direction to rip these K2 CD's at the higher resolution? Thanks!

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: DSP Effects - HDCD option missing from list in my Reference 15.1 Trial Version!

In the ripper, center section, where you are ripping to FLAC I assume, you click on the DSP tab, then you click on the Add DSP/Action. then in the dropdown menu you should see HDCD.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: DSP Effects - HDCD option missing from list in my Reference 15.1 Trial Version!

Sorry Gary, but he owns a Mac. AFAIK HDCD codec is a Microsoft patent and only available in the Windows version of dBpa.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Sorry Gary, but he owns a Mac. AFAIK HDCD codec is a Microsoft patent and only available in the Windows version of dBpa.

Dat Ei
    Aha. Thanks Dat Ei for catching that. I'm really not very good at remembering that there is now a Mac version and some things aren't the same. Someone has brought this up before, but I agree that maybe we need different subforums for the Mac vs Windows versions given some of these differences.

Thanks for the info Dat Ei. I was not aware that the Mac and Windows versions were functionally different in that respect. I will have to get around my hatred for MS Windows operating systems and download dBpoweramp to my HP laptop!

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Xcop5089,

AFAIK there are several functional differences between the Windows and the Mac version. I - and I'm not alone with this feeling - would appreciate, if the product description as well as the forum would clearly distinguish between these two versions. Users, forum users (questioner and helpers), potential buyer and buyers are often irritated or mislead.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Hey Xcop5089,

AFAIK there are several functional differences between the Windows and the Mac version. I - and I'm not alone with this feeling - would appreciate, if the product description as well as the forum would clearly distinguish between these two versions. Users, forum users (questioner and helpers), potential buyer and buyers are often irritated or mislead.

Dat Ei
    +1

And the more time that passes since the OSX-version release, the more cumbersome these issues become. A separate forum section for Mac users may suffer from relatively little "expert user" input for awhile, but I think the current "mixed forum" suffers more from all this confusion and resulting misinformation floating around. As threads like this accumulate, new users...Mac and Windows alike....now have to slog through too much confusing conversation to tease out the pertinent, accurate info they need.