title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Different drives return different CRCs from secure rip

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gdk
    • Mar 2015

Different drives return different CRCs from secure rip

I recently ripped a newly released CD set which had no entry in accuraterip's database. All was well, with secure rips for all 3 CDs in the set, except the last track on the 2nd disc of the set. On ripping this track with three different optical drives, each drive rips securely, but returns different CRC values.

Each drive is consistent with itself - i.e. if you re-rip this track with the same drive, it always returns the same CRC.

For all other tracks all three drives return the same CRCs - which I think rules out offset and setup errors.

Each drive does have different C2 error correction abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

It's not a big deal - I can't hear any difference in the resulting Flac file - and I can always check again when, hopefully, more people have ripped the same discs and a "consensus" has been achieved.
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Different drives return different CRCs from secure rip

Originally posted by gdk
    I recently ripped a newly released CD set which had no entry in accuraterip's database. All was well, with secure rips for all 3 CDs in the set, except the last track on the 2nd disc of the set. On ripping this track with three different optical drives, each drive rips securely, but returns different CRC values.

Each drive is consistent with itself - i.e. if you re-rip this track with the same drive, it always returns the same CRC.

For all other tracks all three drives return the same CRCs - which I think rules out offset and setup errors.

Each drive does have different C2 error correction abilities.

Any thoughts on this?

It's not a big deal - I can't hear any difference in the resulting Flac file - and I can always check again when, hopefully, more people have ripped the same discs and a "consensus" has been achieved.
    take the files you think have different CRCs and convert them to the dsp [CALCULATE AUDIO CRC] to make sure you are actually comparing the CRC of the audio rather than the total file (which can be affected by tags, etc.)

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Re: Different drives return different CRCs from secure rip

Different drives have different offsets, if you rip the first or last track then the offset comes in to effect, unless your drive is able to overread.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>