title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

db poweramp just installed - basic help please

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Re: db poweramp just installed - basic help please

I wish i was as organised as you Garym. Brody boys correct these do look great. i started "breaking down" my cds and kept back inlay card and front separate - then into small plastic sleeves.these are better keeping all info together!(handy if you ever want to sell cd at later stage with jewel case back.) I am gonna a get a sample el pronto!

By the way i heard of a fellow who sold his entire CD collection after ripping-his system crashed and he never backed up. Still going to keep CDS for "Ultimate back-up" .....

Thanks for info.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

I'm still old-school enough that I can't bear to actually get rid of my CDs (selling or otherwise). But I do like the idea of minimizing storage. And, at least in the US, legally I'd be expected to delete any digital files from a CD if I sold the original CD...not that I expect the police to be knocking on my door regarding this.

Not backing up is simply crazy. The work to rip and perfect tags is simply too much to have to do again. MULTIPLE backups are important, preferably stored in at least two different locations, with some of these on drives that are not connected to anything (i.e., in a drawer, not plugged in). As I've said many times, in addition to the 3 different complete copies of my library in active use (home, office, cottage), I have 4 different backups across 3 physical locations across two cities! And yes, I rotate and update all these as I make additions to my library. Another place where FLAC is useful (over WAV for example). One can run "convert to [TEST CONVERSION]" on these files and the CRC stored within the FLAC is used to test whether the file is valid after copying.

p.s. I'm not that organized in all aspects of life. My wife has been bugging me to clean out and organize our garage for years. It is a mess. But it doesn't interest me near as much as my music. ;-)
      Last edited by garym; 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• daleyb
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2014

Thats good to know Gary..That your not 100% Perfect in every way. Iam fro the U.K. And asked Mr.JewelSleeve man hehas a U.K distributor.It may be a bit more on post to me-but hey-who cares if its going to organise my collection better.

Just out interest you said that you keep large artwork for IPAD/ETC.. Then reduce for portable player-which makes perfect sense.But the thing that got me bugged was how you reduce size, rather at what stage.Do you rip large, then somehow at batch convert stage reduce..(ive not really used Batch converter much yet) I Doubt if you re-rip all over again then place smaller artwork in..Or do you use dbpa idtags window after conversion...This got me scratching my head.

P.S. mY garage is spotless.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by daleyb
          Thats good to know Gary..That your not 100% Perfect in every way. Iam fro the U.K. And asked Mr.JewelSleeve man hehas a U.K distributor.It may be a bit more on post to me-but hey-who cares if its going to organise my collection better.

Just out interest you said that you keep large artwork for IPAD/ETC.. Then reduce for portable player-which makes perfect sense.But the thing that got me bugged was how you reduce size, rather at what stage.Do you rip large, then somehow at batch convert stage reduce..(ive not really used Batch converter much yet) I Doubt if you re-rip all over again then place smaller artwork in..Or do you use dbpa idtags window after conversion...This got me scratching my head.

P.S. mY garage is spotless.
          for my FLAC rips, I add (if available) a "cover.jpg" artwork file (1000x1000) to the album subdirectory. I do NOT also embed this art in each track. Then, when I create mp3 versions for use in my portables, I convert the FLAC files to mp3 and at the same time, use ID TAG Processing DSP and under "manipulation" tab and "Album Art, choose, "import from" cover.jpg and make the maximum pixel size 300x300. I also tick, "force embedded to JPEG". In this way, the resulting mp3 files have an "embedded" per track artwork that is 300x300.

p.s. My garage will some day be spotless (at least that's what I tell my wife). And my tags will someday be perfect (that's what I tell myself).

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

Ahh.. Thats how you do it. I would of NOT got that if you had not told me. May I ask why you dont Embed at large ripp stage. Can I take it that its more "set in Stone" and more difficult (if impossible) to change later, Hence Coverjpg. -only.Also why embed in portable player..? .... To be honest iam not a massive fan of portable music..but its nice for the car.(Iam still using cds in car-How 1985!! ) I think from now on I wont embed and do it "The Garym way"..to keep this option open.

By the way Mr.Jewelsleeve sending me a Sample...hes informed me he dont have a U.K Distributor (haven knows why not..) . . . Since international Flat Rate
            thru US Postal has a max weight of 20 lbs per box, the best deal right now for the
            UK is 450 sleeves for $248 (Shipping included!) (MEDIUM size FLAT RATE box)...bit expensive but should be well worth it!

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Because I'm using large art for my FLACs (1000x1000), I don't see the need to have a copy of that art embedded in every single track. Having it as a single file within the album subdirectory is plenty (and all the players that I use will handle this "single" jpg approach. Not that I'm saving that much space given my 1000s of albums.

I embed the art in the portable mp3 files because these files might end up almost anywhere (iphone, ipad, ipod, copied to a travel laptop, etc.), and not necessarily as a complete album. Because the art is embedded in each track, the art is always with the track.

Comment

• daleyb
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Oct 2014

O.K. ..just one more question.. Ive just tried it your way but once the track ripps there no Artwork shown.Can i take it you then have to import this via Edit id tags window (dbpa) add manual.. Or did I set it up wrong...?

Comment

• mville
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2008

Ive just tried it your way but once the track ripps there no Artwork shown.
                  Shown where?

Comment

• daleyb
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2014

After ripp in windows explorer. However, I did it again and reticked "art" in options } idtags and metadata, then after ripp it (the cover artwork) came up...(maybe i should of not un- ticked this.)...??

Comment

• mville
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Dec 2008

However, I did it again and reticked "art" in options } idtags and metadata, then after ripp it (the cover artwork) came up...(maybe i should of not un- ticked this.)...??
                      Correct, CDRipper>>Options>>Meta data & ID Tags>>Write ID Tags>>Album Art should be ticked.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                        Correct, CDRipper>>Options>>Meta data & ID Tags>>Write ID Tags>>Album Art should be ticked.
                        This is true if you want "embedded" album art. If you want the "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" you should not tick Album Art, but at the top of that panel in meta data & ID Tags, you want to have info selected for
                        saving the file in the album directory in lieu of the embedded art. I don't know whether windows explorer shows you that art, but most players will. What player are you using? Foobar2000 will show this art. See picture below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	292925

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
                          This is true if you want "embedded" album art. If you want the "cover.jpg" or "folder.jpg" you should not tick Album Art, but at the top of that panel in meta data & ID Tags, you want to have info selected for saving the file in the album directory in lieu of the embedded art.
                          Aah, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat here. I have the above mentioned option ticked, but don't get embedded album art, due to the addition of a Single Tag [Album Artwork] entry on the Deletions tab of the ID Tag Processing DSP.

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                            Aah, I think there's more than one way to skin a cat here. I have the above mentioned option ticked, but don't get embedded album art, due to the addition of a Single Tag [Album Artwork] entry on the Deletions tab of the ID Tag Processing DSP.
                            Aha. so it gets added with the original tick, but then deleted with the DSP. I don't use the ID Tag Processing DSP during my ripping, only RG DSP. But obviously we get the same outcome.

I suspect that daleyb's question may more relate to not SEEING the artwork when he looks at the files with certain viewers. For example, in testing, I can see that if I right click a file, and click EDIT ID-TAG, I do NOT see any album artwork (because it is not embedded). But if I open that track in, say, Foobar2000, I see the album artwork from my saved cover.jpg. So daleyb, provide a little more explanation on what program/application you're not seeing the art on?

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

O.K..Ive done a few tests now. Firstly, Ive had Art ticked in Options> idtag-metadata. Ive also had at the same time Folderjpg active. The result has been fine..... PIccy comes up in all files in Foobar.

Having tried Unticking Art and using Coverjpg- After the ripp Iam getting NO ARTWORK showing in Foobar at all... (Although when I Go back into Files On Computer hard drive in windows The flac Icon Appears-but if I enlarge or right click on flac Icon one cover appears...)

If I use FolderJPG.(still Art unticked in IDTAGS/META) still get no artwork in Foobar..

Maybe I will stick to embed after all...

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

O.K..Ive done a few tests now. Firstly, Ive had Art ticked in Options> idtag-metadata. Ive also had at the same time Folderjpg active. The result has been fine..... PIccy comes up in all files in Foobar.

Having tried Unticking Art and using Coverjpg- After the ripp Iam getting NO ARTWORK showing in Foobar at all... (Although when I Go back into Files On Computer hard drive in windows The flac Icon Appears-but if I enlarge or right click on flac Icon one cover appears...)

If I use FolderJPG.(still Art unticked in IDTAGS/META) still get no artwork in Foobar..

Maybe I will stick to embed after all...
                                Nothing wrong at all with simply having embedded art work, so if that works, go with it. But very odd. something is not right with your settings if you're not getting the art with either folder.jpg or cover.jpg in the album subdirectory. When you say you create cover.jpg and there is no art, do you for sure see the cover.jpg file within the album subdirectory. If its there, and you open the file within foobar2000, it *should* show up. p.s. if you end up using SONOS, you'll want "folder.jpg" rather than "cover.jpg" I believe. And you may need to keep the art a bit smaller (600x600??). BrodyBoy would know as he uses SONOS.

Comment

Working...

]]>