title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Metadata retrieval takes forever!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Metadata retrieval takes forever!

I have noticed that, with some discs, metadata retrieval takes an insanely long time (upwards of three minutes). I haven't been able to pinpoint a rhyme or reason for it. So far, the only common denominator is that the discs in question are NOT in MusicBrainz's database. The only workaround I have found is to temporarily disable MusicBrainz look-up.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Metadata retrieval takes forever!

Sounds like an issue with their servers. Unless you find that they provide unique or indispensable metadata, I'd just disable MusicBrainz for awhile.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have had the same issue off and on for several months, with MusicBrainz metadata retrieval hanging the ripper. In fact, I posted a message about it here when I first ran into it. It may be that even though MusicBrainz might have data, if their server is non-responsive, the ripper eventually times out and displays the data it has from the other services.

Winamp used to have a worse problem when CDDB/Gracenote was unresponsive. It hung my computer so badly that I had to force a power off. Control-alt-delete wouldn't even work.

Administrator

>It hung my computer so badly that I had to force a power off. Control-alt-delete wouldn't even work.

This suggests something outside of Winamp which was broken, no application should be able to do this to a PC, unless there is security software miss-behaving.