title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

multiple artists on single track naming issue

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundman85
    • May 2015

multiple artists on single track naming issue

Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but for the record I have done my research, and can't find the answer to my question. I have mp3 copies of all of my music ripped with DMC multi-encoder on my phone. I use the Samsung Music app on my Gs5 and do not want to change players for now, (I like certain features of the app). Samsung Music doesn't recognize the album artist field and is separating multi-artist tracks from their albums. Is there another field that I need to add to the meta-data so the tracks will reunite with their respective albums and maintain the both of the artists names on the track?
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: multiple artists on single track naming issue

Originally posted by soundman85
    Hello all,

I am new to the forum, but for the record I have done my research, and can't find the answer to my question. I have mp3 copies of all of my music ripped with DMC multi-encoder on my phone. I use the Samsung Music app on my Gs5 and do not want to change players for now, (I like certain features of the app). Samsung Music doesn't recognize the album artist field and is separating multi-artist tracks from their albums. Is there another field that I need to add to the meta-data so the tracks will reunite with their respective albums and maintain the both of the artists names on the track?
    Unfortunately, this is really just a player issue. In some cases, there are ways to manipulate metadata to force the behavior you want and compensate for unusual player quirks. But players that won't use the ALBUM ARTIST tag, and don't offer an alternative in their settings, are severely handicapped in their ability to navigate a digital library properly. Your best bet is to thoroughly research the player app and make sure there isn't some setting somewhere that will force it to organize by ALBUM ARTIST rather than ARTIST. If it simply won't do it, and you're not going to switch to a better player, your only option is to edit your metadata and force the exact same ARTIST tag for all tracks on each album. Or forfeit the notion of keeping all album tracks together.

I know....it's a ridiculous way to do it and it seriously limits your library's usability. Personally, I'm stunned that any player software is still written this way...i.e., that user backlash hasn't forced them into the 21st century. I would urge you to find a more modern, compatible player and be sure to tell Samsung exactly why you're switching!

Comment

• soundman85
      • May 2015

Brody, thanks for the response. I have researched this particular app pretty extensively and so far have been unable to come up with any way to make it recognize the "album artist" field. I agree, its unthinkable for modern player software to not have that option, especially from a big contender like Samsung. If I could find a player that made use of some of the built in features in the phone, I would be glad to switch!! lol Unfortunately I have grown accustomed to a few of the features; flip phone over to pause it, wave hand over it to change tracks, however gimmicky they might be. I listen to music a lot, and find those little things handy. Does anyone know of any other fields that maybe i don't have selected in meta-data that might cause the separated tracks to be re-grouped with their respective albums, and maintain both artist names without having to edit the artist tag on each track? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soundman85

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

You could try setting

Compilation

to '1'
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment