title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Dictionary of Music Converter Terms

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmijames
    • May 2015

Dictionary of Music Converter Terms

Dynamic Naming is very Greek to me...

I want to convert FLAC to MP3 into music that is best formatted to be accepted in iTunes, then also shifted as I go to other formats as PLEX. [I am unclear] []\ [still trying]\ [to master]-[this naming]-[process]... Help! My FLAC content comes from different sources, but it is the downloaded stuff that is hardest to understand, one of the biggest problems is on Classical FLAC that in converting often comes up with the message that the names are to long... I assume that is internal name contained in the music file itself. I am not clear on how to do that, looking at the support in Illustrate for Dynamic Naming I feel as I need a Dictionary of Terms, my last try gave me... [origpath][Maxlegnth]len,string[]\[Artist]-[Track]-[Title], some worked, many others were a mess! I reviewed one Forum post on converting to iTunes from FLAC, [trimfirstfolder][origpath][]\[origfilename], and if not ready to place into iTunes, but into a music folder of its own I would then place after it, [MaxLegnth]len,string[Artist]-[Track]-[Title]

My goal is to make the MP3's easy for others to move the music they want from where I convert them, Named MP3 Folder, to different players and apps in the most common way possible without more conversion work for them... all located on a home server I built, all of them network in and take what they need to construct their playlists on whatever they want.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Dictionary of Music Converter Terms

What naming string are you using right now? and how does it not work for you? I ask because you posted 2 totally different naming strings.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2011

Re: Dictionary of Music Converter Terms

Originally posted by jimmijames
      Dynamic Naming is very Greek to me...

I want to convert FLAC to MP3 into music that is best formatted to be accepted in iTunes, then also shifted as I go to other formats as PLEX. [I am unclear] []\ [still trying]\ [to master]-[this naming]-[process]... Help! My FLAC content comes from different sources, but it is the downloaded stuff that is hardest to understand, one of the biggest problems is on Classical FLAC that in converting often comes up with the message that the names are to long... I assume that is internal name contained in the music file itself.
      It's easy to "overload" your file names. Here's the important point to keep in mind: The metadata ("tags") is the information that your players use, it's contained inside the files, and the file names are really just for your convenience......they don't matter to your players. Therefore, you don't need to put the whole kitchen sink into the file names. With classical music, especially, doing that results in very long, unwieldy file names. Since the files already contain all the information, and they are contained within a folder named by album (most of the time), they really only need basic identifying info like track number and track title.

I am not clear on how to do that, looking at the support in Illustrate for Dynamic Naming I feel as I need a Dictionary of Terms, my last try gave me... [origpath][Maxlegnth]len,string[]\[Artist]-[Track]-[Title], some worked, many others were a mess! I reviewed one Forum post on converting to iTunes from FLAC, [trimfirstfolder][origpath][]\[origfilename], and if not ready to place into iTunes, but into a music folder of its own I would then place after it, [MaxLegnth]len,string[Artist]-[Track]-[Title]
      Probably WAY too complicated... All that TRIMFOLDER and ORIGPATH and MAXLENGTH stuff may or may not be necessary. First, focus on establishing the file name itself. With classical, especially, what's the info you actually need to identify the file? Then, once that's determined, we need more info on how where you want the converted files to go. You need to know that to properly set the PATH and the folder segments of your naming string.

My goal is to make the MP3's easy for others to move the music they want from where I convert them, Named MP3 Folder, to different players and apps in the most common way possible without more conversion work for them... all located on a home server I built, all of them network in and take what they need to construct their playlists on whatever they want.
      All the more reason to make it short and simple.

PS: One other point. You don't really "convert to iTunes," as iTunes is just one of the many players you can use to play your digital library. It sounds like you need the files to be as universal as possible so that multiple users can readily use them. While their are a couple tags that have particular utility for iTunes, file naming is unrelated to that. What IS important is that you set iTunes to leave your files alone. If you leave it set to "organize your library" and "copy all files to iTunes library," it'll make a mess of things.
      Last edited by BrodyBoy; 05-13-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...

]]>