title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Mastering from WAV to FLAC - conversion questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • draudio2u
    • May 2015

Mastering from WAV to FLAC - conversion questions

Hello,
    I usually get the request to make MfiT files at the end of a session but this time I have been asked to provide 9624 FLAC files for a commercial USB stick. Upon researching converters for WAV to FLAC, I assume dbpoweramp is a good start. Here are the questions:

- If the project was mastered in WAV at 44.1kHz 32bit, can this be converted to 9624FLAC, or does FLAC require the bi rate to match?
    - If it is possible, will there be a conversion utilizing the full 32 bits to create the 9624, or will it just "save as…9624", but the bit rate is actually still 4432?
    - Is there a standard format for delivery to manufacturing of these USB sticks? Any mastering engineers out there that have delivered this format?

Finally, what about DSD files? Will FLAC understand these DFF files or do I need to convert to PCM first?

Thank you.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Mastering from WAV to FLAC - conversion questions

You can convert with the DSP Effects Resample and Bit Depth to set any resolution before sending to the encoder.

9624 means 96KHz, 24 bits. If your source is 44.1KHz 32 bit, then converting to 96KHz is pointless. The 32 bits would be reduced to 24 bit.

DSD and FLAC do not mix, DSD should be decoded to PCM.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• draudio2u
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
      You can convert with the DSP Effects Resample and Bit Depth to set any resolution before sending to the encoder.

9624 means 96KHz, 24 bits. If your source is 44.1KHz 32 bit, then converting to 96KHz is pointless. The 32 bits would be reduced to 24 bit.

DSD and FLAC do not mix, DSD should be decoded to PCM.
      Thank you.
      Question then about the "DSP Effects Resample…" If I start with 44.1 32 bit, but the FLAC will reduce to 24, is there dither involved or truncation?

I see the potential for this to overtake MfiT requests, but it would be great to have DSD FLAC option for HD Tracks as well (that is the original source format for all this).
      Thanks again.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Dither is an option, however I personally think dither on 24 bits is way below human hearing.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>