title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: does CD Ripper use/report C2-errors even when Accurate Rip is enabled and available

Question does CD Ripper use/report C2-errors even when Accurate Rip is enabled and available

Hey. Just wondered: When usage of AccurateRip is enabled (and data is available for the respective CD), will CD Ripper still show me if it would find C2-Errors (even if the data verifies against Accurate Rip)? Thanks, Chris.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: does CD Ripper use/report C2-errors even when Accurate Rip is enabled and availab

Quote Originally Posted by calestyo View Post
    Hey. Just wondered: When usage of AccurateRip is enabled (and data is available for the respective CD), will CD Ripper still show me if it would find C2-Errors (even if the data verifies against Accurate Rip)? Thanks, Chris.
    Not sure of what it reports, but do keep in mind that if the rip verifies against AR as correct, it would NOT have had C2 errors, by definition. If there were C2 errors, it couldn't have had AR match, unless there was only one other rip in the AR database, and this rip happened to have the exact same C2 errors. The odds of this are so high I can't even imagine it. Trillions to one wouldn't even capture it I suspect.

Re: does CD Ripper use/report C2-errors even when Accurate Rip is enabled and availab

Unfortunately this is not guaranteed.

I have for example some very rare CDs where I'm the only one who submitted to AR.
    I did this back then with EAC and with C2 disabled,... so it may be the case that no errors where found (while C2 would have found errors), that this was reported,... and if CD Ripper would then not check C2 if it finds AR, then I would again not see any C2 errors.

dBpoweramp Guru

Unfortunately this is not guaranteed.

I have for example some very rare CDs where I'm the only one who submitted to AR.
    I did this back then with EAC and with C2 disabled,... so it may be the case that no errors where found (while C2 would have found errors), that this was reported,... and if CD Ripper would then not check C2 if it finds AR, then I would again not see any C2 errors.
    of course if the only thing in the AR database is your own prior rip submission then you have no guarantees about anything and all bets are off. But other than that limited situation of matching to your own prior rip, the problem you are worried about could not exist.
    Last edited by garym; 04-27-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Sure... unfortunately I'm just looking for that specific situation... maybe @Spoon can tell whether it would still report C2 errors or trust my own (possibly wrong) AR result.

Actually things may even be worse,... imagine I've ripped the CD multiple times, but each time with a different AR ID.

Administrator

AR takes preference over c2 errors, so if you have submitted your own disc, then re-rip you could have errors.

So basically the only solution here is to disable AR for such disks (and perhaps for disks with a low confidence) by disabling "Query Ripping Results with Accurate Rip", right? Can't you add a feature that logs all positions where C2 errors where found and perhaps the total number?

dBpoweramp Guru

So basically the only solution here is to disable AR for such disks (and perhaps for disks with a low confidence) by disabling "Query Ripping Results with Accurate Rip", right?
    Seems like that would be the best approach. This is a situation that is not all that likely. Most people rip their CDs *only* once. So the situation where the same person has done many rips of the same CD and submitted them to the AR database is likely pretty rare. And even if they do this, for many CDs, there are multiple matches in AR (beyond the one or two that could have been submitted by the same person).

Anyway,... dbp's behaviour seems to be bogus here.

If C2 reports errors, then something *is* fishy, whether AR says fine or not,... perhaps with the exception of drives that simply report bogus C2 data.
    User's should at least be warned about this.

And as I've mentioned before, this insecurity doesn't just exist when you re-submit your own CDs (which is not so impossible at all, I guess), but also for any other CD where there are only one or two submissions.

So that's kinda unfortunate... IMHO the best would be if it tells you in the end, that AR matches but C2 errors were found (where any how many).

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Anyway,... dbp's behaviour seems to be bogus here.

If C2 reports errors, then something *is* fishy, whether AR says fine or not,... perhaps with the exception of drives that simply report bogus C2 data.
    User's should at least be warned about this.

And as I've mentioned before, this insecurity doesn't just exist when you re-submit your own CDs (which is not so impossible at all, I guess), but also for any other CD where there are only one or two submissions.

So that's kinda unfortunate... IMHO the best would be if it tells you in the end, that AR matches but C2 errors were found (where any how many).

Cheers.
    Respectfully, you make several points here that are not correct. I suspect you don't have a complete understanding of how AR database matching works. The odds of *independent* rips containing the exact same C2 errors (which is what an AR match would imply), even if your rip is being compared to only one other independent rip, is simply astronomical if not impossible (well, possible, trillions to 1. As they say, if enough monkeys randomly type on a typewriter for long enough, there is a tiny, but positive probability that they could recreate the entire works of Shakespeare. This is the kind of probability you're talking about with matching C2 errors making their way into two independent rips. That is, C2 errors are not systematic; they are random.)
    Last edited by garym; 04-29-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Administrator

Statistically c2 error pointers are very much weak in comparision to AccurateRip, I have personally seen drives miss errors and miss report phantom errors in c2. It has never been reported once that AccurateRip as miss verified an AccurateRip of a commercially bought cd, not once in 10 years.