title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Preserving folder layout, not same as I'm seeing in forums

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Preserving folder layout, not same as I'm seeing in forums

Quote Originally Posted by DMRube View Post
    Funny. Actually I caught that earlier and added it, but thank you guys, you've been great.
    I'm glad you caught that....sorry for any confusion.

I've solved this with a little work-around, although in all honesty, I have to believe what I'm trying to do is extremely common and a solution should be found for what we've been discussing.
    Definitely...this is a relatively common operation, since many people make alternate versions of their music library (for portable devices, backup, etc.) I assume that's why dBp has naming elements for copying the structure of an existing library. While we haven't nailed down the cause of your issue...yet, there's undoubtedly a solution.

Anyway, my workaround, which worked fine with the small sample-size of folders I've copied over to test this string throughout this craziness, is to use [origpath]\[origfilename], and then to simply move the actual "album" folders three levels up, and then delete the empty "users", "davidrubenstein" and "music" folders, leaving the albums, which seem to only be copied over intact using only [origpath]\[origfilename] convention.

It worked fine doing this with a small sample-size, it will obviously be much more involved with 1,000 albums that I'm converting, but until the code is sourced correctly I can't think of any other way, though this is hardly the most efficient way.

Let me know your thoughts guys-

-D
    Yeah, you're right...that'll get really old doing that many albums manually. I really think this can be worked out and you'll be able to get through them without all that extra work.

So let's say you have your original files....C:\users\davidrubenstein\Music\Aerosmith \Toys In The Attic

When you set are setting up the conversion for these files, what exactly are you putting in the "Folder" section? And what do you want the "top-level" folder to be in the new location? (i.e., should it start with the \music level, or lower, at the \artist level? Or something else?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DMRube View Post
    There is something else going on however. This definitely DOESN'T work. Now adding the [trimfirstfolder] is adding some kind of corruption as it removes the folder structure being left intact. I've tried, one, two and three, and intellectually, one can clearly see three would be correct, but once the [trimfirstfolder] is added, the folder structure is no longer copied over intact for some strange reason.
    Please post a screen shot of the dBpoweramp Music Converter AIFF converter window, with the settings you are using that is causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I'm glad you caught that....sorry for any confusion.

Definitely...this is a relatively common operation, since many people make alternate versions of their music library (for portable devices, backup, etc.) I assume that's why dBp has naming elements for copying the structure of an existing library. While we haven't nailed down the cause of your issue...yet, there's undoubtedly a solution.

Yeah, you're right...that'll get really old doing that many albums manually. I really think this can be worked out and you'll be able to get through them without all that extra work.

So let's say you have your original files....C:\users\davidrubenstein\Music\Aerosmith \Toys In The Attic

When you set are setting up the conversion for these files, what exactly are you putting in the "Folder" section? And what do you want the "top-level" folder to be in the new location? (i.e., should it start with the \music level, or lower, at the \artist level? Or something else?)
    I want all the albums to be in "music"folder", as opposed to being copied with the added and unnecessary layers. The good news is removing those layers, bypassing is a better description, is incredibly easy and almost instantaneous.

I select all the music album folders, and "move" them three levels up directly to the root of the folder I want, in this case "music".

Because I'm moving, not copying, it's instant, and by selecting all it was all done in one step.

So, effectively, problem solved. Having said that, it should've worked by removing the unwanted layers using "trimfirstfolder" so I'll send the screenshots when I'm back later today.

Thanks again for all your help guys.