title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Preserving folder layout, not same as I'm seeing in forums

Re: Preserving folder layout, not same as I'm seeing in forums

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    It sounds like you're getting close. Back where you said you had tried [origpath]\[origfilename], you described the problem as having "too much" of your folder structure carried over ("user"\Music\ etc).

As garym describes, [trimfirstfolder] is the way to remove unwanted file structure levels. For each [trimfirstfolder] you add to the beginning of the [origpath]\[origfilename] string, it will remove a level from the beginning. So if you need to remove three levels, include three [trimfirstfolder] elements. Along with the required closing double-brackets, it would look like this:

[trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath[][][]\[origfilename]
    Okay, thanks so much guys for the help, but I'm seriously starting to go crazy.

When I use that exact string, I get only all individual music files with NO folders. It eliminates the users/david/music hierarchy, yes, but loses the folders of artist or album(!)

I have tried a few different versions of this to no avail. I do think we're close, but it's a mystery how this didn't work since the "[origpath]\[origfilename]" worked exactly as I was needing it to, with ONLY the three additional folder layers, so one would think eliminating that would work, but it totally changed the way the folder copying is working, so now I'm lost.

Please help-

dBpoweramp Guru

I tried to help, but you ignored my question in post no. 12.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I tried to help, but you ignored my question in post no. 12.
    I thought I did actually in post 10, I thought I described the folder hierarchy. It's "users/davidrubenstein/music".

I think I'm going crazy...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DMRube View Post
    I thought I did actually in post 10, I thought I described the folder hierarchy. It's "users/davidrubenstein/music".
    How are the folders organised under this folder? What is the destination folder and what format are you converting from/to?

How are the folders organised under this folder? What is the destination folder and what format are you converting from/to?
    In the music folder (users/davidrubenstein/music) the folders are organized as either name of artist e.g. Aerosmith, with the various albums as sub-folders, and then the individual tracks of each album.

In the case of a compilation album, where each track is from a different artist, it is largely the same, the name of the ALBUM is the main folder, and then only the tracks, NOT a bunch of separate or sub-folders by artist, but this is only for a soundtrack or compilation album for example. And all tags are absolutely consistent and solid.

I'm trying to convert from FLAC to AIFF.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate your help-

dBpoweramp Guru

When I use that exact string, I get only all individual music files with NO folders. It eliminates the users/david/music hierarchy, yes, but loses the folders of artist or album(!)
    I think you removed too many folder levels.

Try working with just a small batch at a time, so your experimentation isn't too time-consuming. And delete failed attempts, so you don't get a mixed up mess. First, specify the general location for your new files in the "Folder" section. Then try [origpath]\[origfilename] with just one [trimfirstfolder], like this:
    [trimfirstfolder][origpath][]\[origfilename]

Be VERY careful to get all the brackets correct. (Because if you leave out closing brackets, an element will just get ignored.) How close does this get you to what you want?

If there are still too many levels, try adding another [trimfirstfolder]:
    [trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath][][]\[origfilename]

How about now?
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-25-2015 at 09:53 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

In the music folder (users/davidrubenstein/music) the folders are organized as either name of artist e.g. Aerosmith, with the various albums as sub-folders, and then the individual tracks of each album.

In the case of a compilation album, where each track is from a different artist, it is largely the same, the name of the ALBUM is the main folder, and then only the tracks, NOT a bunch of separate or sub-folders by artist, but this is only for a soundtrack or compilation album for example. And all tags are absolutely consistent and solid.

I'm trying to convert from FLAC to AIFF.
    So, if you convert the following folder:
    DriveLetter:\users\davidrubenstein\Music\Aerosmith \Toys In The Attic

from FLAC to AIFF, where do you want the AIFF files created, in the same folder? I am not clear on the destination folder (Output Location).
    Last edited by mville; 04-25-2015 at 10:05 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

In his original post, he indicated that he wants the folder structure replicated in a new location of his choosing. So it's a different destination folder.
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-25-2015 at 10:27 PM.

In his original post, he indicated that he wants the folder structure replicated in a new location of his choosing. So it's a different destination folder.
    Thanks so much guys. I'm out now but will try when I get back.

dBpoweramp Guru

So:
    [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]\[origfilename]
    should work, as garym suggested, but it is not. I am trying to find out why it is not working.

dBpoweramp Guru

So:
    [TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][TRIMFIRSTFOLDER][origpath][][][]\[origfilename]
    should work, as garym suggested, but it is not. I am trying to find out, why it is not working.
    Yeah, I suspect it's the combination of his "Folder" designation and the "orig" string not quite being in sync yet. I.e., perhaps he was adding too many levels already under "Folder," or something along that line. I think if he just sets the general folder location and leaves it alone, he should be able to work his way toward the correct number of folder levels to copy over (by adjusting the number of [trimfirstfolder] elements). And because naming strings require such precise syntax, a missing or extra bracket anywhere in the mix can also throw the whole thing into turmoil. :(

dBpoweramp Guru

In post no. 16, the syntax in the string:
    [trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath[][][]\[origfilename]

is incorrect. It is missing a right square bracket at the end of [origpath

The string you need to try is:
    [trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][trimfirstfolder][origpath][][][]\[origfilename]

dBpoweramp Guru

Ha! See what I mean? Got it right the second time around, at least.

But this does illustrate my point well: You and I have been doing this a long time and it's still easy to type "bracketology" errors..... Thanks for catching it in that post, I'll go back and fix it. To the OP, if you're copying and pasting at all, use my most recent examples!

dBpoweramp Guru

Ha! See what I mean?
    definitely

Funny. Actually I caught that earlier and added it, but thank you guys, you've been great. There is something else going on however. This definitely DOESN'T work. Now adding the [trimfirstfolder] is adding some kind of corruption as it removes the folder structure being left intact. I've tried, one, two and three, and intellectually, one can clearly see three would be correct, but once the [trimfirstfolder] is added, the folder structure is no longer copied over intact for some strange reason.

I've solved this with a little work-around, although in all honesty, I have to believe what I'm trying to do is extremely common and a solution should be found for what we've been discussing.

Anyway, my workaround, which worked fine with the small sample-size of folders I've copied over to test this string throughout this craziness, is to use [origpath]\[origfilename], and then to simply move the actual "album" folders three levels up, and then delete the empty "users", "davidrubenstein" and "music" folders, leaving the albums, which seem to only be copied over intact using only [origpath]\[origfilename] convention.

It worked fine doing this with a small sample-size, it will obviously be much more involved with 1,000 albums that I'm converting, but until the code is sourced correctly I can't think of any other way, though this is hardly the most efficient way.

Let me know your thoughts guys-

-D