title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can you have playback with correct gap between tracks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g725s
    • Jul 2010

Can you have playback with correct gap between tracks?

As the title says. How can you play back a CD that you burned with EAC into separate FLAC files for each track, how can you play it back via DNLA to a stereo receiver so that the playback is like the original CD, having the correct gap between tracks? Can Asset UPnP read a CUE Sheet in the folder and playback as if it were the original CD?
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Can you have playback with correct gap between tracks?

Originally posted by g725s
    As the title says. How can you play back a CD that you burned with EAC into separate FLAC files for each track, how can you play it back via DNLA to a stereo receiver so that the playback is like the original CD, having the correct gap between tracks?
    You can't using DLNA. DLNA and therefore Asset UPnP, is not gapless. DLNA is a great idea, badly implemented.

Having said that, there have been many attempts by manufacturers to get around the DLNA gapless issue, with varying success.

It is because of this issue, I have abandoned DLNA/Asset UPnP to serve my audio library.

Can Asset UPnP read a CUE Sheet in the folder and playback as if it were the original CD?
    I don't think so.
    Last edited by mville; 04-19-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Agree with mville. That's why I use Logitech Media Server and Squeezebox players. Others use SONOS. Gapless is perfect on these systems. As noted, there are some hacks out there for some systems. I haven't used DLNA/ASSET so can't speak to it.

Comment

• g725s
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by mville
        You can't using DLNA. DLNA and therefore Asset UPnP, is not gapless. DLNA is a great idea, badly implemented.

Having said that, there have been many attempts by manufacturers to get around the DLNA gapless issue, with varying success.

It is because of this issue, I have abandoned DLNA/Asset UPnP to serve my audio library.

I don't think so.
        Originally posted by garym
        Agree with mville. That's why I use Logitech Media Server and Squeezebox players. Others use SONOS. Gapless is perfect on these systems. As noted, there are some hacks out there for some systems. I haven't used DLNA/ASSET so can't speak to it.
        Well I guess I should look into those options. Thanks for suggestions. What does it cost to get into these systems? As it is now I'm just using DNLA to my Onkyo receiver in my living room. I would like to have music in other rooms without having to run wires to the other side of the house. And do you need a CUE Sheet in the folder with the music to get gapless playback? And if so, FLAC or Wav CUE? And of these options you suggest which might be the most future proof?

Will need to look into installing Logitech Media Server on a Windows Home Server box. I like Asset UPnP because it adds an Add-In the the WHS Dashboard on a client PC so I can manage my headless server which resides in a closet.
        Last edited by g725s; 04-19-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

Well I guess I should look into those options. Thanks for suggestions. What does it cost to get into these systems? As it is now I'm just using DNLA to my Onkyo receiver in my living room. I would like to have music in other rooms without having to run wires to the other side of the house. And do you need a CUE Sheet in the folder with the music to get gapless playback? And if so, FLAC or Wav CUE? And of these options you suggest which might be the most future proof?

Will need to look into installing Logitech Media Server on a Windows Home Server box. I like Asset UPnP because it adds an Add-In the the WHS Dashboard on a client PC so I can manage my headless server which resides in a closet.
          No, you don't need cue files for gapless. Not required. I have lots of gapless albums and live shows, all play perfectly gapless and I use separate FLAC or mp3(lame) tracks...NO cuesheets. If you go the Logitech Media Server (LMS) route you'll need a hardware squeezebox or something that emulates a squeezebox (lots of cheap options for this now, a Pi micro computer running SqueezeLite software to emulate the player, etc. Or an old iPhone you can pick up for $25 running iPeng with playback option will emulate a squeezebox. Google around and you'll see lots of info. for squeezeboxes, they have an active forum at forums.slimdevices.com. Unfortunately, Logitech discontinued squeezeboxes several years ago. But the do it yourself crowd is still active and you don't need to be that computer literate to get something going. Better yet, find a Squeezebox TOUCH on ebay and it will be plug and play. Sonos is easy to get info on, just google.

Comment

Working...

]]>