title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Trouble with reading WAV files with R4.4 on Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ruudj
    • Apr 2015

Trouble with reading WAV files with R4.4 on Raspberry Pi

I use Asset UPnP already for several years on a windows pc (R4.3 in W7) for streaming music files to a Moon 180Mind, without any problems reading FLAC and WAV files. In some cases I rip cd's and leave them in the original WAV format without converting to FLAC. No problem to see these files with 'Folders & Filename Browsing' and play the files. Ofcourse there is no tagging in these cases.
    Since several days I've a Raspberry Pi 2B with Asset R4.4 for the raspberry installed. Everything is working fine, except for the reading of the WAV files. I can see the artists and the albums, but when I try to open the album everything is blank. When I do exactly the same on the same NAS position with the W7 and R4.3 version, I see all tracknumbers and can play them.

I use a Synology Nas for music storage, a Raspberry Pi 2B with the mediaserver Asset UPnP and a Moon 180Mind as renderer for streaming music to a DAC.

Help would be appreciated in this, thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Trouble with reading WAV files with R4.4 on Raspberry Pi

How do you see artists and albums for the wave files, if you say these have no ID tags?

Can you browse these wave files with File and Folder browsing? can you play them?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ruudj
      • Apr 2015

Yes, I can see the artists and albums for the WAV files with File and Folder browsing. With the raspberry and R4.4 I don't see the albumtracks (only a blank page with the albumtitle), with the windows pc and R4.3 I see also the albumtracks and can play them. On my harddisk (on the NAS) I structured a tree with foldername 'WAV files', subfolders 'artists', subfolders 'albums', subfolders 'tracks' which would work fine normally.

I'm not sure about tagging of WAV files, I know it's very limited because of the older WAV format. There is limited room reserved in the file for tags into the WAV file, maybe only artist and album or tracktitle? Of course I can convert to FLAC or tag the WAV with converters, but that's something I don't want to do when I have original CD's converted to WAV. I want to have an exact audio copy. And until now I didn't had a problem with playing them.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

How do you browse the wave files on Windows? through Artist >> Album, or Advanced Search >> File and Folder browsing?
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ruudj
          • Apr 2015

I can see the WAV files (via the windows pc) only by 'Advanced Search' and next 'Folders & Filename Browsing'. Starting to browse via 'Artist' and so on, they don't show up (because of tagging of WAV files).

Due to the directory structure on my NAS, I do as follows: Advanced Search >> Folders & Filename Browsing >> CD's WAV >> Artist >> Album >> Tracktitle (to play), which works in case of the windows version.

Comment

• ruudj
            • Apr 2015

Hello Spoon, could you think about something what could go wrong in this case? Or do you need more information to have a clear view on this issue? In the meantime I tried some things with autorisations on my NAS, restarting, rescan etc. but nothing helps.

Thanks already.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

When you browse Asset on the Pi:

Advanced Search >> Folders & Filename Browsing >> CD's WAV >> Artist >> Album >>

It does not show any tracks?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ruudj
                • Apr 2015

That's right, it does not show any tracks.

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

If you have a PC, try setting up a network share, copy a few wave files to the PC and see if the pi can see them.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ruudj
                    • Apr 2015

Oke Spoon, problem solved, due to a problem in the directory names. I could read all subdirectories in Linux (in /home/pi/nas with all mounted directories of the Nas), except for the ones with an '. So "cd's wav" wasn't readable because of the ' I suppose. Changing this directory in "wav" on he NAS solved the problem immediately and tracks became visible and playable. Because the windows version of Asset UPnP had no problem with this I didn't recognise this problem for Linux. In the old DOS times this was also not done, so I could know this!

Thanks for your responses and maybe something to warn for for less experienced Linux users.

Regards

Comment

Working...

]]>