title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple silent files on ripping CD with 15.2 / Windows 8.1

Multiple silent files on ripping CD with 15.2 / Windows 8.1

First post from long standing dBPoweramp user. I have ripped several hundred CDs uneventfully with my present rig and over 1000 CDs with dBPoweramp (a couple of times over including the time I unwisely ripped everything to a lossy format) over the past few years, starting with v13 and currently with v15.2. I last successfully ripped a batch of CDs on 27th Feb using v15.1; since then I have upgraded to v15.2, though there have been a few Windows updates since then which might arguably be the source of the problem.

My system: Windows 8.1, LG GE20NU10 external DVD drive connected via USB2, dBP v15.2. I have an internal BD Rom which I don't use for ripping.
    My problem: I try to rip a CD and it spends a few seconds only on each track, before saving files that are only a few 100K in size that are silent.
    Things I have tried: Complete uninstall dBP / restart / registry clean with CCleaner / reinstall v15.0 or v15.1 results in same problem. The drive works on the same PC and I have successfully ripped a DVD Audio using DVDA Extractor since this problem arose. I can also connect it to my MacBook pro and rip CDs using XLD and I get Accuraterip verified rips. Speccy reports the drive to be working properly. I don't therefore feel this is a hardware issue.

Having done all this, I have just tried a test rip using the test encoder without any DSP and I have attached the logs. I also seem to find that when I start dBP and there is no disc in the drive I get this very bizarre result that I have attached as a PNG.

I don't know what is going on, so any advice would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Multiple silent files on ripping CD with 15.2 / Windows 8.1

Sorry, attached wrong log. Try this one!

Administrator

Try ripping to just the wave encoder (not multi encoder).

Same result. It "rips" the whole CD in a matter of a few seconds.

Administrator

Try to enable the over-read into lead in/out option, on CD Ripper >> Options.

Does this help?

Yes it helps. Thank you!

Administrator

I would like to work with you to find the cause of this, please email:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

I have encountered the same problem after upgrading to 15.2. I am batch ripping to Lame w/ Windows 7, dual CD players. This setup has worked flawlessly with for 2-3 years. When using the batch ripper on a dozen audiobook disks, it happens randomly on both CD players.

The report shows the disk was successful in accuraterip or secure. The file sizes are correct.

So far I have removed all the DSP's. Reinstalled Reference 15.2. No joy. I checked the resulting files with mp3validate which reported OK. I then used mp3gain to look at volume levels. They were 24.2 db rather than the normal 89.7db. Using mp3gain to set the levels to 89.7 did not work.

Can I get a copy of the previous version so I can see if the problem goes away?

Another datapoint: I switched from secure rip to burst and got 40 straight rips with no difficulty. I then added the volume normalize DSP back in and if failed on the second disk.

So both secure rip and dsp's cause the problem, indicating some sort of timing or sync problem.

Administrator

What happens if you have volume normalize and burst rip enabled?

Burst alone is OK
    Burst w/ Normalize fails
    Secure w/o DSP's fails

I went back to burst with no other processing and it is working again.

dBpoweramp Guru

It suggests cd ripper cannot write to the temporary drive location, open windows file explorer and type:

%tmp%

Into the address location, check it has plenty of free space, about 2gb is needed.

There 13 Gb available on the temp drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Try right clip on CD Ripper >> Run as Administrator

Was there ever a reason\solution for this posted?
    I am getting the same issue. I tried the over-read into lead in/out option and it now rips the cd although it takes over an hour a cd which isn't great when you've got a lot to do. EAC, on the same machine, takes 10 mins to rip it accurately.