title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

OSX CD Ripper dynamic output location problem if destination is on NAS box

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gromit2012
    • May 2014

OSX CD Ripper dynamic output location problem if destination is on NAS box

Mac OSX v1.1:

I use multi-encoder and rip the FLAC version to the Mac hard disc and the MP3 version to my NAS box, using the dynamic output location option.

When I pick the location for the LAME encoder to send the files to (which is Server1\MP3Conversions, a Synology NAS box on the network) it shows in the LAME output location window as /Volumes/MP3Conversions, and then the dynamic settings show below that.

This works fine, but the next day it all looks OK but when I try to rip, it fails as it can't find the NAS box.

If I select the NAS box again by picking it from the dropdown, it now shows in the LAME output location window as /Volumes/MP3Conversions-1 and the rip goes ahead fine.

The next day it can't find the NAS box again, and I go round the loop again, and this time it shows in the LAME output location window as /Volumes/MP3Conversions-2 and so on.

Unfortunately, each time this happens it loses my finely-crafted dynamic location settings, resetting it to defaults, and I have to enter them all again. Fortunately I have copied the setting to a text file.

The thing is, I never see the expression /Volumes/ anywhere in Finder (the NAS box simply shows in the 'Devices' section on the left).

I can also navigate to it via Network > Server1 > MP3Conversions, and I've tried both ways when entering it into the LAME destination settings with the same problem, ie the following day it can't find the NAS box.

Maybe '/Volumes/' is insufficient for CD Ripper to find the NAS box? If I do a 'Get info' on the directory I see 'afp://Server1._afpovertcp._tcp.local/MP3Conversions' which looks more helpful than the simple /Volumes/ that shows in the LAME output selection after selecting it by navigating to it.

Hope this makes sense!

Regards,

Carl
  • Gromit2012
    • May 2014

Re: OSX CD Ripper dynamic output location problem if destination is on NAS box

Tried to rip a CD today and as described above, it couldn't find the NAS box (where the mp3s are stored).

I went round the loop again and on selecting the destination it then went ahead and now it's writing to what it calls 'MP3Conversions-3'.

Next time I'll have the same problem and I'll have to go round the loop again and I predict it will then say it's writing to 'MP3Conversions-4'.

There's also an error each time when it's supposed to be writing to the local HD (in the directory 'FLAC'): Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore' but that bit works (ie it writes the files to the correct folder on the local disc) so don't know why that's happening.

Error log below:

Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 1' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/01 Radical Face - Asleep on a Train.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 2' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/02 Radical Face - Welcome Home.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 4' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/04 Radical Face - Glory.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 3' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/03 Radical Face - Let the River In.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 6' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/06 Radical Face - Wrapped in Piano Strings.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 5' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/05 Radical Face - The Strangest Things.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 7' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/07 Radical Face - Along the Road.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 8' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/08 Radical Face - Haunted.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 10' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/10 Radical Face - Sleepwalking.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 9' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/09 Radical Face - Winter Is Coming.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]
    Error converting to [Multi Encoder], 'Track 11' to '/tmp/no-filename-specified.ignore'
    mp3 (Lame): Error unable to open File '/Volumes/MP3Conversions-2/Radical Face/Ghost/11 Radical Face - Homesick.mp3' for writing. [BeginConversion]

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

This is how OS X does not work very well with network shares, on Windows the path stays constant even after any number of restarts (nas or Windows). You are best to rip to yor local hdd (the music folder), then copy and paste to the nas.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Akshay
        • Apr 2015

Hi, newbie here, just tried ripping with dbpoweramp for the first time, using a macbook. I kept getting exactly the same error as Gromit2012 above, when attempting to rip to a self created directory (mycdcollection/composer/piece/artist) on the laptop ssd. However, I just managed to rip the CD to the "music" folder (using default dynamic destination directory and file name) as well as to a self created subdirectory of the music folder (music/testing123/filename.flac) without issues. Could there be a general problem on OS X when selecting a destination directory outside of "music", whether local or NAS?

Comment

• Akshay
          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Akshay
          Hi, newbie here, just tried ripping with dbpoweramp for the first time, using a macbook. I kept getting exactly the same error as Gromit2012 above, when attempting to rip to a self created directory (mycdcollection/composer/piece/artist) on the laptop ssd. However, I just managed to rip the CD to the "music" folder (using default dynamic destination directory and file name) as well as to a self created subdirectory of the music folder (music/testing123/filename.flac) without issues. Could there be a general problem on OS X when selecting a destination directory outside of "music", whether local or NAS?
          Thinking about it, it is likely a read/write Permissions issue...but it's getting late in my timezone now, not sure how to check this quickly...

Comment

Working...

]]>