title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Artist multivalue tag

dBpoweramp Guru

Album Artist multivalue tag

In Edit ID-Tag, I just changed the Artist and Album Artist tags from Brian Eno to Brian Eno; Brian Eno and the Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort tags from Eno, Brian to Eno, Brian; Eno, Brian, see here:

I click the OK button to save the changes, but when I select Edit ID-Tag again to see these changes, Artist, Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort are OK, but Album Artist is not what I'd expect, see here:

Can someone please advise as to what is going on?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Album Artist multivalue tag

Just tested the same thing and got the same results as you. If the Album Artist content is different (Brian Eno; Mr X), then both show up, but if both are Brian Eno, then only shows up ONCE in Album Artist. Doing this with FLAC files, even when Brian Eno shows up only once in dbpa Edit ID Tag, one can still see Brian Eno in Album Artist tag TWICE in mp3tag (multiple tag values show up as the same TAG field listed twice with both values being "Brian Eno".

When I look in foobar2000, it only shows "Brian Eno" once in file properties under Album Artist. But if I make the multiple values "Brian Eno; Mr XX" then both show under album artist in foobar2000.

Administrator

Why would you have the exact same entry twice?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Just tested the same thing and got the same results as you. If the Album Artist content is different (Brian Eno; Mr X), then both show up, but if both are Brian Eno, then only shows up ONCE in Album Artist. Doing this with FLAC files, even when Brian Eno shows up only once in dbpa Edit ID Tag, one can still see Brian Eno in Album Artist tag TWICE in mp3tag (multiple tag values show up as the same TAG field listed twice with both values being "Brian Eno".

When I look in foobar2000, it only shows "Brian Eno" once in file properties under Album Artist. But if I make the multiple values "Brian Eno; Mr XX" then both show under album artist in foobar2000.
    Thanks for the clarification garym. What you describe in dbpa Edit ID Tag, MP3Tag and foobar2000 is exactly what I experience.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Thanks for the clarification garym. What you describe in dbpa Edit ID Tag, MP3Tag and foobar2000 is exactly what I experience.
    the odd thing is that the "Brian Eno; Brian Eno" shows up fine in Artist Sort, Album Artist Sort, etc. Just *not* in Album Artist itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Why would you have the exact same entry twice?
    To help me get around the limitations imposed by the software I use and by the way I like to organize my library, especially when navigating my library (in foobar2000) on Android devices.

For example, I use the 1st Album Artist multivalue tag to store the actual Album Artist and the 2nd Album Artist multivalue tag I use as a grouping tag.

The question is why is it that I can have the exact same entry twice for Artist, Artist Sort and Album Artist Sort and not Album Artist?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    the odd thing is that the "Brian Eno; Brian Eno" shows up fine in Artist Sort, Album Artist Sort, etc. Just *not* in Album Artist itself.
    Yes, exactly.

dBpoweramp Guru

Could it have something to do with the fact that that's an organizational tag, as opposed to an actual audio info tag? (If that makes sense.) I'm kind of surprised if programs are smart enough to "know" things like that, but, who knows? Just for sh*ts & giggles, try the same thing with another field that should logically be only one value....like YEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    For example, I use the 1st Album Artist multivalue tag to store the actual Album Artist and the 2nd Album Artist multivalue tag I use as a grouping tag.
    Your player can actually use them that way? That seems odd...

dBpoweramp Guru

So, is the behaviour of the Album Artist tag, by design or is it a bug?

Administrator

Will investigate for next beta.

Administrator

Please upload this file to dropbox and email the link:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

We cannot reproduce.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please upload this file to dropbox and email the link:

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/email.htm

We cannot reproduce.
    Link emailed.

Administrator

Had a look, if you set:

Artist1; Artist1

then both entries are written, however if you edit tags in dBpoweramp only one is shown, this is because for tagging album artist there are:

ALBUMARTIST
    ALBUM ARTIST
    ENSEMBLE

And for some people they write the same value to all, for compatibility, we intentionally only show 1, not the duplicates, I not want to change because it will affect many people.

dBpoweramp Guru

if you edit tags in dBpoweramp only one is shown, this is because for tagging album artist there are:

ALBUMARTIST
    ALBUM ARTIST
    ENSEMBLE

And for some people they write the same value to all, for compatibility, we intentionally only show 1, not the duplicates, I not want to change because it will affect many people.
    I don't understand. Are you saying that if any of ALBUMARTIST, ALBUM ARTIST or ENSEMBLE actually contain Artist1; Artist1, then you will only display Artist1? If so, how does this affect many people? Surely they would want to see what is actually contained in these tags?

Or am I not understanding this correctly?

Administrator

All these 3 tags get mapped to a single "Album Artist" displayed value. We remove duplicates from the display.