title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number/ tracks issue.....

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Number/ tracks issue.....

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    oops! Sorry meant red cross (a big difference there) at top of mp3tag.I saved it first in mp3tag and the cleared (red cross) The metas still there in windows but I always put info back in Windows "detail" in Tiles Options.The tracks are there FLAC iCON trak name but year, track NO.s etc gone.
    the RED X in mp3tag is telling it to delete any tags that you've setup in options to be deleted. But for FLAC this is mostly irrelevant as it is mostly mp3 files that can have multiple ID3 tags (ID3v1, ID3v2, APE).

What do you mean you "put info back in windows detail in tiles option"? Do you mean you edit the metadata itself in windows explorer? If that's even possible, it's not a good idea. You should use a tag editor (like dbpa or mp3tag). If year, track nos, etc. are missing in windows explorer view, I suspect the metadata is there but not displaying. in "details" view in windows explorer, have you ticked the display options to show columns for things like track number, year, album, title, etc.?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Back In windows Explorer you have the option for Size of files (theres about 8) Extra Large Icons,Large,Small icons etc.. I put mine to "details". I like this because it tells me year track no(even though it repeats track name(in Grey type).....
    After I had got my tracks sorted in MP3TAG (REMEMBER iAM NEW TO THIS) i Saved then clicked Red cross.I have edited (before knowing about MP3TAG) Metadata in Windows-but only via DBPA IDTAGS-is that O.K.-oR WOULD YOU STILL GO THE mp3tag way..? Maybe i saved wrong in MP3TAG..? tried again with another file-saved and did not click red cross - AND thats perfect.

dBpoweramp Guru

After I had got my tracks sorted in MP3TAG (REMEMBER iAM NEW TO THIS) i Saved then clicked Red cross
    If you are new to this, why would you click on a button in MP3Tag (e.g. Red Cross), when you have no idea of it's impact?

tried again with another file-saved and did not click red cross - AND thats perfect.
    Glad to see you are not randomly clicking buttons and you now have it sorted.

When editing metadata tags I suggest you do not use Windows Explorer. I only ever use dBpoweramp, MP3Tag or foobar2000 to edit my tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

as mville notes, do not click on red X unless you know what it does. It is REMOVING tags, which is something you only want to do if you have multiple tag types *AND* you've set your tag options, to "read, write, remove" correctly.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Good Point-Sometimes I get a bit "click Happy" with my mouse..But Sometimes I like to try things because I find I learn Quicker that way-than reading Forums and keep asking.-although it often means one step forward and 3 steps back. I have kinda got it Sorted. But the Dreaded RED CROSS on mp3tag means now I can see NO DATA in dbpa id tags info. The tracks play in foobar but show no artist name.The flac icon and track listing is in windows Explorer-...may need to re-rip again ;-(((. The good news is the other files folder was perfect(but I didnt hit the red cross (NOT TICK) on that one.......I will Join MP3TAG forum-I need to update version anyway and Register.

dBpoweramp Guru

Good Point-Sometimes I get a bit "click Happy" with my mouse..But Sometimes I like to try things because I find I learn Quicker that way-than reading Forums and keep asking.-although it often means one step forward and 3 steps back.
    There is always the self-help option of the applications help/manual. Often, a much quicker approach.

Now, unless you have a backup, you'll have to re-rip. The good news is most of the metadata for these CDs will probably still be in the dBpoweramp cache.

dBpoweramp Guru

Good Point-Sometimes I get a bit "click Happy" with my mouse..But Sometimes I like to try things because I find I learn Quicker that way-than reading Forums and keep asking.-although it often means one step forward and 3 steps back. I have kinda got it Sorted. But the Dreaded RED CROSS on mp3tag means now I can see NO DATA in dbpa id tags info. The tracks play in foobar but show no artist name.The flac icon and track listing is in windows Explorer-...may need to re-rip again ;-(((. The good news is the other files folder was perfect(but I didnt hit the red cross (NOT TICK) on that one.......I will Join MP3TAG forum-I need to update version anyway and Register.
    Since the red X is *supposed* to remove the tags, I see that mp3tag is working correctly for you. Of course you usually only want to do that when there is more than one set of tags and you're removing only the extra tags (not ALL the tags). Computers are stupid of course; they do exactly what we tell them to do.

dBpoweramp Guru

...and in case anyone is wondering. When you select files in mp3tag, then click the "red X", a popup box shows up that says "Do you really want to delete the tags". So the user is given an explicit warning about what is about to happen.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

To be honest,I Assumed you saved your tags when you were happy-then cleared with Red X.(Being new-Not Sure)..
    Having to re-rip those Cds will give me good practice.I think theres an Exit Icon-to clear -but will study the site and learn.I also thought you had to export your tags data back to window explorer-but it appears its all linked.

I get it now when you say ripp all cds-go to mp3tag- delete Unwanted tracks (with now famous RED X) and auto number.It all makes Sense!

dBpoweramp Guru

To be honest,I Assumed you saved your tags when you were happy-then cleared with Red X.(Being new-Not Sure)..
    Having to re-rip those Cds will give me good practice.I think theres an Exit Icon-to clear -but will study the site and learn.I also thought you had to export your tags data back to window explorer-but it appears its all linked.

I get it now when you say ripp all cds-go to mp3tag- delete Unwanted tracks (with now famous RED X) and auto number.It all makes Sense!
    no, no, no, no. You're still confused. A couple of items:

1. When you're finished fixing your tags in mp3tag, make sure you hit SAVE to save your edits. Then you can simple exit the program. If you have other files you want to edit in mp3tag, you can right click them in explorer, then select "mp3tag" to open them in mp3tag. Or you can simply point to a different subdirectory from within mp3tag to load up a second set of files. There is no "clearing" or "exiting" you need to do.

I get it now when you say ripp all cds-go to mp3tag- delete Unwanted tracks (with now famous RED X) and auto number.It all makes Sense
    !

No! mp3tag has nothing to do with deleting unwanted tracks. It is a TAG editor. The red X does NOT delete tracks. The tracks are still there, they just have no tag data. If there are tracks you ripped that you don't want to save, I'd open the subdirectory of files I ripped, select the track files that you don't want, then delete them in windows explorer. Now those files are gone. THEN, you can open the remaining files in mp3tag, edit the tag data, renumber tracks, etc.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

thanks for that Gary...Ive got new version of Mp3 tag and can also join there forum.I may have to rip a "dummy" Cd and go into mp3 tag and have a practice.It wont matter if that CD goes Wrong...Theres also a list of what Icons do. I realise now why you use it and recommend it. Best get it right now rather than later...

Someone told me after your happy you dont have to clear anything. Just select all files to tag next and the other clears next time. I also-being new to this-(and in another thread) I didnt get it linked to windows- i thought you had to "export it back to windows....No, No, No again

dBpoweramp Guru

thanks for that Gary...Ive got new version of Mp3 tag and can also join there forum.I may have to rip a "dummy" Cd and go into mp3 tag and have a practice.It wont matter if that CD goes Wrong...Theres also a list of what Icons do. I realise now why you use it and recommend it. Best get it right now rather than later...

Someone told me after your happy you dont have to clear anything. Just select all files to tag next and the other clears next time. I also-being new to this-(and in another thread) I didnt get it linked to windows- i thought you had to "export it back to windows....No, No, No again
    you're getting there. Yes, nothing to clear, just move on to next set of files and all automatic. and no need to export back to windoes. The tag changes are automatically there in the files once you hit SAVE in mp3tag. No need to "export".

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    you're getting there. Yes, nothing to clear, just move on to next set of files and all automatic. and no need to export back to windoes. The tag changes are automatically there in the files once you hit SAVE in mp3tag. No need to "export".
    O.K. Gary-Sometimes I overcomplicate things-will get on the MP3TAG Case- Thanks for all your help-Very much apprieacted!