title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Replaygain DSP uses source for values (bug?)

Exclamation Replaygain DSP uses source for values (bug?)

If I convert from FLAC to LAME with Replaygain DSP, it outputs the wrong tags. The peak values are the same as on the FLAC source file. This leads me to believe that the Replaygain DSP uses the source file to calculate the tags. When I just run the replaygain converter on the LAME files after the conversion, the tags change to the correct values (the peak is higher). I don't think that this is the correct behaviour. I think that it would be better if the Replaygain tags would be calculated from the destination files.
    Knipsel.PNG
    The first row of tags are from the FLAC file, the second row of tags is from the LAME file after conversion to LAME with dsp effect Replaygain, the third row of tags is from the same LAME file after using utility converter Replaygain. I assume the last two rows should be the same.
    Last edited by PCVXD; 03-21-2015 at 09:05 AM.

Administrator

Re: Replaygain DSP uses source for values (bug?)

The effect runs on the data which is between source >> encoder. The developers of Lame said overall it would not make any audible difference, however you are free to install the utility codec '[ReplayGain]' and then convert the mp3 files to this utility codec to do as you wish.

Re: Replaygain DSP uses source for values (bug?)

I know the 'clipping' in LAME should be inaudible, but just to be sure I'll use the 2-step process. Thanks for the confirmation that this is the desired behaviour!