title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Memory issue with Asset 4.3 (or is it 4.2.1 ?)

Memory issue with Asset 4.3 (or is it 4.2.1 ?)

Hi Spoon. I've been using your products for years, through many iterations. Months ago I updated to Asset 4.3, but I haven't been using it much. I was looking at Windows Task Manager, and I see the Asset-uPNP.exe process has grown to consume over 1 GB of active RAM. (I'm not even doing anything, not one thing, with Asset at this point. Just the regular service that started up.) The library contains less than 8000 songs.

The Windows process points to an exe that says version 4.2.1.0.
    When I look at the Asset screen, it says it is 4.3 (and that's what my last update was).

Is there a memory leak issue? Do you know what's going on with the mis-matched version numbers?

For the moment, I need to kill this process and not let it restart. Last week, it was using over 2 GB of RAM (and again, doing absolutely nothing at the time).

Thoughts please?

Thanks.

Administrator

Re: Memory issue with Asset 4.3 (or is it 4.2.1 ?)

You would be best to install R5, about 1 years of effort has gone into it, see the testing section of this forum.

I have recently tried Asset 4.3 on two Win 8.1 devices based on Intel quad core Atom Z3735G processors. One, the Hannspree micro-PC, has 2 GB of RAM and the other, a Linx 7 tablet, has 1 GB of RAM. The micro-PC appears to work as expected but Asset is unstable on the tablet - it installs OK and scans the library but not long afterwards Asset presents itself as unregistered.

Hi Spoon - What is the RAM requirement for running Asset and does it depend on the library size? Would it be worth my while to try R5 when only 1 GB of RAM is available?

Thanks

Administrator

R5 is better optimized for memory usage.

OK, I took the advice and download and installed R5 beta.
    - as per the thread with the download link, I chose "DO NOT uninstall" when asked. It was installed to the exact same folder as previous.
    - I had previously Disabled it due to the memory issue. After the successful install, I changed it from Disabled to Service (like it used to be)
    - Now, all settings are gone. All my custom Library selections, the Audio Format Streaming, custom Containers, etc.

Before I go ahead and try to re-enter everything, is there a suggestion for how to retrieve the settings that used to be there?

Thanks.

Administrator

R5 uses its own settings, there is no migration from r4 to r5 with setttings, it is a 100% different database design.

Spoon, R5 hasn't helped. It's been a couple of hours since I re-configured all the settings, and now Asset-uPNP.exe, located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp, is now sitting at 1,287,004 KB of Memory (Private Working Set). (and growing as I write this)
    I'm not doing anything with Asset at the moment. No Control Point is playing anything at this time.
    There are 2 Asset-uPNP.exe active.
    In the time it took to write this, it has gone from 1287 MB to over 1400 MB. I am killing it. Any advice how to proceed ?

Asset memory issue.jpg

Administrator

Remove the computer from the network, see if still goes up.

I think you nailed it.
    For years, I've used a Yamaha receiver as my only Control Point for Asset. I set Asset to convert lossless AAC to WAV for playback, and everything was perfect.
    Now, there's a new TV in the house, an LG 'Smart' TV. With the TV removed from the network, Asset-upnp.exe consumes around 1.8 MB, which is great. It seems that the TV drives Asset crazy...

I need to put the TV back onto the network. Is there a way in Asset to hide itself from a Control Point? I'm thinking some kind of entry in "Settings Override (Control Point Specific)" ?

?
    Thanks.

Administrator

There is no way to hide from a control point. I wonder what the LG was doing?

The TV was being a 'smart' TV... It has DLNA capabilities, so weeks ago, I streamed some music from Asset, just to check it out. Once I re-connect it to the network, Asset will go crazy again as I proved to myself yesterday.

I saw something in the Help for "Settings Override (Control Point Specific)";
    [SimpleBrowse] is used to give a very simple browse tree (just tracks), this is used on control points such as XBox which only need to catalog all tracks as quickly as possible.

Do you see any value in trying that in "Settings Override (Control Point Specific)" (I've never played in that config file before...)
    ?

Administrator

You could try.