title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multiple Genres for m4a

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkinnaird
    • Mar 2015

Multiple Genres for m4a

Hello, I have been spending quite a bit of time trying to organize and tag my large music library. I am using Asset UPnP to stream music to a Yamaha AV Receiver at my home, but I simply use WMP12 to play my music on my work computer.

I have been struggling to find a tagging system that works for both particularly when it comes to multiple genres. I would like many of my songs to show up in several different genres, and I am trying to avoid having genres like "Rap,Hip-Hop" or "Southern Rock;Classic Rock". So far I have come up with the following:

FLAC - For FLACs I use two separate genre fields (GENRE=Rap and GENRE=Hip-Hop) and this works with both WMP and Asset UPnP
    MP3 - For MP3s I separate the genres with a ";" (GENRE=Rap;Hip-Hop) and it seem to work with both WMP and Asset
    M4A - This one is giving me problems. I have tried many combinations. Using ";" seems to work with WMP and using "/" seems to work with Asset, but neither option works for both.

Does anyone know of a way to make multiple genres play nice with both setups? Or, since WMP is so difficult to change, is there a way to force Asset to recognize the ";" delimiter in m4a's? Thanks for your help.
  • dbfan
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jan 2011

Re: Multiple Genres for m4a

For mp3 you use '/' as separator.

Or if using dbpweramp id tag editor '; '

Comment

• jkinnaird
      • Mar 2015

Thanks for the reply. I should probably have mentioned that I am using mp3Tag to edit my tags. For mp3's, the ";" delimiter is definitely working for both WMP12 and Asset, my issue right now is only with the m4a format.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Sorry miss read, the standard for multi anything in m4a is '/' WMP seems to be doing its own thing (which no other program will follow).
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jkinnaird
          • Mar 2015

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help!

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by jkinnaird
            That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the help!
            Have you tried "\\" in mp3tag (without the quotes). That is its standard for multiple values in a tag. But I'm not sure about m4a in particular.

Comment

Working...

]]>