title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Extremely long time in batch ripper before disc is rejected

Extremely long time in batch ripper before disc is rejected

I am using Batch Ripper with a Nimbie USB Plus in AccurateRip mode. Some of the discs are very scratched and get rejected. I then rip these in Burst mode with no problem. But it can take up to 1-1/2 hours per disc before the disc is rejected and ejected from the Nimbie. I couldn't find any settings for a time limit on ripping attempts. The settings in Secure Options appear to be fixed in terms of * of passes, * of re-reads and * of frames. If I put a check mark next to INTERPOLATE UNRECOVERABLE FRAMES, will this speed up the process significantly and will the audio quality be as good as a Burst rip?

What about CANCEL DISC RIPPING AFTER ANY INSECURE TRACK? This sounds like it will speed things up, but it isn't covered in the CD Ripper Setup Guide.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Extremely long time in batch ripper before disc is rejected

I'd be inclined to put those damaged disks in a separate pile, and deal with them individually (not a batch rip) in a different drive. Scroll down to the middle of THIS PAGE to read all about the Secure Rip settings.

Keep in mind....you asked about audio quality "as good as a Burst rip"....that Burst mode simply does one pass and calls it done. There's no error correction, so just appearing to complete the rip doesn't necessarily mean that the rip is good.

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I'd be inclined to put those damaged disks in a separate pile, and deal with them individually (not a batch rip) in a different drive. Scroll down to the middle of THIS PAGE to read all about the Secure Rip settings.

I will read this in detail later. Thanks!

Keep in mind....you asked about audio quality "as good as a Burst rip"....that Burst mode simply does one pass and calls it done. There's no error correction, so just appearing to complete the rip doesn't necessarily mean that the rip is good.
    I know that about Burst. The disc will play with JRiver doing the error correction, equivalent to playing the disc in a CD player.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tuneup View Post
    I know that about Burst. The disc will play with JRiver doing the error correction, equivalent to playing the disc in a CD player.
    Burst rip? That's a good point. Sometimes people get a little caught up in a few re-ripped frames, AccurateRip mismatches, or whatever. But these things don't necessarily mean that there will be audible errors....the track may play just fine, in fact...it just means that it's not a bit-perfect match for other rips that have been submitted. (An "insecure" rip, on the other hand, should be presumed to have significant issues.)

Quote Originally Posted by tuneup View Post
    I am using Batch Ripper with a Nimbie USB Plus in AccurateRip mode. Some of the discs are very scratched and get rejected. I then rip these in Burst mode with no problem. But it can take up to 1-1/2 hours per disc before the disc is rejected and ejected from the Nimbie. I couldn't find any settings for a time limit on ripping attempts. The settings in Secure Options appear to be fixed in terms of * of passes, * of re-reads and * of frames. If I put a check mark next to INTERPOLATE UNRECOVERABLE FRAMES, will this speed up the process significantly and will the audio quality be as good as a Burst rip?

What about CANCEL DISC RIPPING AFTER ANY INSECURE TRACK? This sounds like it will speed things up, but it isn't covered in the CD Ripper Setup Guide.
    I'm getting that once in a while too. I figure that this will hopefully be my LAST bulk rip, so I just cancel the disk when I see that and try a manual rip after I've completed the batch and unloaded the CDs. I'm not going to worry about 5-6 lost hours on one disc