title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artwork issue.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Artwork issue.

Originally posted by daleyb
    Cant find Folder options in Control panel (please expand)
    1. Open Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization and then click Folder Options.

2. Click the View tab, and then, under Advanced settings, do the following:
    Clear the Hide extensions for known file types check box and then click OK.

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

(Dont Know if this hinder or Helps...But in DBPA RIP window "options" Meta tagsid if" Art" unticked-even Orig.CDS will be replaced by rogue Artwork;-((((..........)
      Yes, that is what makes me think you maybe confusing file icons with artwork files.

When you rip a CD with artwork, the file icon uses the ripped album art as the icon. When you rip a CD with no artwork the file icon defaults to the associated file icon for flac, which in this case is what you are calling the rogue artwork, but is in fact an icon in the icon cache database. I can't be sure though as I don't have access to your PC.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
        Yes, that is what makes me think you maybe confusing file icons with artwork files.

When you rip a CD with artwork, the file icon uses the ripped album art as the icon. When you rip a CD with no artwork the file icon defaults to the associated file icon for flac, which in this case is what you are calling the rogue artwork, but is in fact an icon in the icon cache database. I can't be sure though as I don't have access to your PC.
        agree. All those screen shots were icons not album art.

Also, when you say that if you "untick" art in the dbpa metadata options, the rogue artwork shows for those ripped CDs, even for regular commerical CDs. This is odd. This suggests you're seeing the icon rather than the artwork. On these commercial CDs when you open these albums in mp3tag or dbpa ID3 Tag Edit, do you see the correct artwork or the rogue artwork (and I mean the artwork, not the ICON for the file).

Also answer this question:

What options are you using in dbpa for handling artwork. You have two options. Embed as part of metadata tag or create a single file within each ALBUM subdirectory (named "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" etc.). You set this option in dbpa options re metadata and ID tags. See these two pics. You can see that I add a single jpg file for each album (called "cover.jpg"). I also do NOT embed the art in my audio files (thus my album art item is UNTICKED.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	292882Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[2].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	292883

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

When you have cleared the Hide extensions for known file types check box in Folder Options, please confirm that the only files in your ripped folder end with the file extension .flac.

Then I have one thing I'd like you to try.

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

update: On shot 1 of Screen shot sent earlier-(of mine ) I admit they are icons (or foorbar/flac Orange logo).I realise this is not artwork- The setting in windows was on small.(if i select or enlarge the "tiles" in windows then- the rogue artwork in other shots-it is there. I also realise that when artwork appears the small foobar icon/logo appears at bottom right. ( I assume that this icon will not show on streaming device.?) more of a link to foobar Library..

2. The artwork is 100% NOT showing (or embed) on MP3 TAG. (Sorry by saying it was earlier -I added it via DBPA ID TAGS Window and did not remove.)

3.The Rogue Artwork does appear in Foobar library after ripp-if i play track...

4.mville- I found what you asked -but having trouble finding "advanced Setting" to complete (im in windows 7.)

5.GaryM- oops! ALBUM subdirectory on mine "none" and other option is ticked.If you dont mine me asking-why dont you embed your artwork in audio files..?I thought you need to "embed" to ensure artwork was there..

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

update: On shot 1 of Screen shot sent earlier-(of mine ) I admit they are icons (or foorbar/flac Orange logo).I realise this is not artwork- The setting in windows was on small.(if i select or enlarge the "tiles" in windows then- the rogue artwork in other shots-it is there. I also realise that when artwork appears the small foobar icon/logo appears at bottom right. ( I assume that this icon will not show on streaming device.?) more of a link to foobar Library..

2. The artwork is 100% NOT showing (or embed) on MP3 TAG. (Sorry by saying it was earlier -I added it via DBPA ID TAGS Window and did not remove.)

3.The Rogue Artwork does appear in Foobar library after ripp-if i play track...

4.mville- I found what you asked -but having trouble finding "advanced Setting" to complete (im in windows 7.)

5.GaryM- oops! ALBUM subdirectory on mine "none" and other option is ticked.If you dont mine me asking-why dont you embed your artwork in audio files..?I thought you need to "embed" to ensure artwork was there..
              Bottom line is that neither dpba or mp3tag or foobar2000 is adding this rogue artwork you'd like to do away with. This artwork picture is sitting somewhere on your HDD (within the same "path" that your audio file subdirectories are sitting), and when there is NO art embedded or contained in the ALBUM subdirectory, windows explorer is "picking up" this artwork to show with your audio files.

The test I asked you to do, which you seem to have ignored, was to move one or two of the albums getting this bad art to under your C:\ drive rather than where it is now (probably under user/music, etc.). And then see if windows shows that art. I'm guessing it won't because the rogue art is not in the C:\ directory but in some other directory.

Embedding is fine. No problem. My reason: most players need to have either embedded artwork, or can read a single "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" file that is saved in the same subdirectory of your ALBUM audio files. For my FLAC files I try to have larger artwork (1000x1000) and don't need to have that embedded in every single file of the album. So instead I don't embed but just have the single instance of the jpg within the album subdirectory. The only result of this is saving space. However, for the mp3 files I create from my FLAC files for use in portables, etc., I *do* embed the artwork into each file. However, in the file conversion from FLAC to mp3, I tell dbpa to reduce the size of the artwork to 300x300 for use in embedding in the mp3 files.

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

mville- I found what you asked -but having trouble finding "advanced Setting" to complete (im in windows 7.)
                In Folder Options click the view tab (here's the Windows 8.1 screen):

Comment

• daleyb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2014

thanks both...Sorry Garym I hadnt ignored this-just forgot to come back to you on it. I moved the File from HD F/ TO C/ AND YOU ARE SPOT ON- NO ARTWORK. ( If i drag it to desktop-no artwork either.)

mville: all done.got it.
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Just out of interest can I take then folder jpg -puts artwork (or embeds it) into every track.
                  While JPEG COVER-jUST DOES IT ONCE..? I found your last paragraph a real learning Curve.I realise Flac is a bigger file than mp3-but never really thought about Size of Artwork or how to embed.Very Interesting....But why do you need such a large image size.?I would of thought an image would set itself to the streamer/tablet/phone etc...?Or is the image just clearer..

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

thanks both...Sorry Garym I hadnt ignored this-just forgot to come back to you on it. I moved the File from HD F/ TO C/ AND YOU ARE SPOT ON- NO ARTWORK. ( If i drag it to desktop-no artwork either.)

mville: all done.got it.
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Just out of interest can I take then folder jpg -puts artwork (or embeds it) into every track.
                    While JPEG COVER-jUST DOES IT ONCE..? I found your last paragraph a real learning Curve.I realise Flac is a bigger file than mp3-but never really thought about Size of Artwork or how to embed.Very Interesting....But why do you need such a large image size.?I would of thought an image would set itself to the streamer/tablet/phone etc...?Or is the image just clearer..
                    OK. so the test I had you do confirms that somewhere buried in the F:/ drive on your HD is the rogue image. And when you look at your audio files in windows explorer, the rogue art gets picked from wherever it is and shows up. If you are not on the F:/ drive, the artwork doesn't show up, because windows explorer doesn't see the artwork on the C:\ drive. THIS CONFIRMS (AND WE ALREADY KNEW THIS) THAT THE ISSUE IS NOT WITH DBPA, MP3TAG, FOOBAR, ETC. BUT SIMPLY WITH A ROGUE ARTWORK FILE STASHED SOMEWHERE ON YOUR HARDDRIVE.

Also, this confirms that the way to solve your problem is as has been suggested. Make sure you're showing all hidden files, search your F:\ drive and all its folders for any file with jpg or jpeg suffix (i.e., wildcards *.jpg or *.jpeg). Once you find all these, delete the ones that you don't want there. Problem solved.

Regarding the "folder.jpg" or "cover.jpg" file containing the artwork. It doesn't embed the artwork in the file, it is just sitting there in the ALBUM folder. And many players (foobar2000, SONOS, Squeezeboxes, etc.) and tag editors (mp3tag, dbpa, etc.) will know that the artwork is there and related to the album then show the art when viewing the album.

Why such large art? The image is sharper/clearer. Take a 200x200 picture and then view the album art at full screen size in say, an iPad. Then look at the same album art in 1000x1000 on the iPad. Can be night and day difference. Sorta like why would anyone want HD TV rather than regular TV. It's just a picture after all????? Of course this is not true. If I'm just looking at small artwork in my iPhone, then it really doesn't matter. But as soon as I'm looking at an iPad or laptop screen, it matters.

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

and in case you missed this buried in my longer answer. The rogue artwork file is sitting somewhere on your F:\ drive. Make sure you've turned on "show hidden files" for the F: drive, do a search for *.jpg or *.jpeg or *.bmp and delete any artwork files that you find that you dont' want.

Comment

• mville
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2008

daleyb, how many CDs have you ripped to the F: drive?

... AND in addition to searching for *.jpg or *.jpeg or *.bmp files as suggested by garym, please also search for *.png.
                        Last edited by mville; 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• daleyb
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Oct 2014

Update: The problem is in f :Drive.(This is a 1tb hdd-where all my ripps both homemade and originals are sent.)

I have a friend whos a systems analyst and a computer whizz .He looked over and went deep into my computer-yet still could not find rogue artwork (and he had no clue how DBPA worked-i knew more about it then him!)
                          However, he said as a short term solution put homemades in C: drive-SSD 120GB- then transfer files to my external WD 2TB HD-S Thus by passing drive F:

Also he made a white Square jpeg and told me to insert this in to all homemade artwork( I didnt have the heart to tell him this would tell him awful on a device-black or a plain cd would look better! it may look great/ clear on computer but will look bad on screen)-but hey-hes only trying to help.....

I have put file on phone and no rogue artwork shows up.
                          Tried all above even gif but cannot find where its hiding.

Dont know if this infos useful but in F drive while ripping Original cd, the Rogue artwork appears-until cd ripp complete-then proper artwork "overides it"...??

Mville:I have about 20 Original cds ripped-there fine. when i got rid of WMP i accidentally wiped off some of my homemades (about 10) -AND DID NOT BACK UP.oops. This dont bother me a tad Because Somehow DBPA remembers the tracks-so dont have to put in metadata again for those cds.(Maybe there in accurip database.?)

Comment

• mville
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Dec 2008

I suggest you get your computer whizz friend to do the following:

1. Backup up your Windows 7 PC (or at least create a System Restore point). I highly recommend this. You have the F: Drive which you can back up your Windows OS SSD Drive. There is built in backup in Windows 7 or you could use 3rd party backup software (I am using Acronis True Image 2014 to backup my Windows 8.1 64-bit PC).

2. In the Default Programs Control Panel, what is the associated program for flac files?
                            Does it look similar to this, if not, change the association for flac to foobar2000:

3.Thumbnail Cache - Clear and Reset:

4. Icon Cache - Rebuild:
                            Thanks Shawn. I read another tutorial that was incorrect in a few places. As always your tutorial is right on. I always like having automatic and manual options. I like to do it manually and I like to

WARNING: Suggestions 3 and 4 are advanced operations and require a certain amount of Windows knowledge. Only perform them if you know what you are doing and back up your PC first. I do not want to be held responsible for any corrupt Windows installations that may occur due to a lack of knowledge and experience.

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

O.K. Thanks all for help.The aboves a bit deep for me.Cannot even get to that window. (In Windows 7)

Iam still on the case...

Comment

• mville
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2008

O.K. Thanks all for help.The aboves a bit deep for me.Cannot even get to that window. (In Windows 7)
                                1. Open the Control Panel. Change from Category view to an Icon view and double click on the Default Programs icon.

2. Click on the Associate a file type or protocol with a program link.

Comment

Working...

]]>