title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Artwork issue.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daleyb
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2014

Artwork issue.

I have just ripped a homemade cd and inputted data. Fine. Howvever, I have noticed that an album cover (the same one)from windows media has embeded in all the tracks.I have never had this issue before. When I go into edit ID TAGS TO REMOVE it-theres nothing showing so cannot remove whats not there....Iam just worried if it goes to streamer it will show up (ive not got streamer yet-so dont ask me to see if its showing up).Ive just re ripped and its done it again.

Any ideas..??
  • Dat Ei
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2014

Re: Artwork issue.

Are you sure, that the artwork is embeded? Windows and the Windows media player will show a default artwork for known multimedia filetypes.

Dat Ei

Comment

• daleyb
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Dat Ei
      Are you sure, that the artwork is embeded? Windows and the Windows media player will show a default artwork for known multimedia filetypes.

Dat Ei
      to be honest iam not sure if it is embed.When i select track(s) it showing artwork-but not in dbpa edit tag.I will make sure everything closed in windows and not plating-or if it happens with another cd ripp..

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Windows Media player will write hidden album art files in the folder which it uses, if you enable the windows file explorer option to view hidden and system files you can see these.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

to see if your artwork is embedded, in mp3tag:

1. right click on the column headings (right side of screen), then choose "customize columns"
          2. Click NEW in the popup screen
          3. give it the NAME: Embedded Art, and the VALUE: $if(%_covers%,Yes,No)
          4. Leave field and sortby blank

Now when you load a file into mp3tag you can look at the value in that column (yes or no) to see whether the art is embedded.

Note for background. Art can showup in players/servers from several sources. Typically the art is either embedded in the metadata or is simply a file contained in the ALBUM subdirectory (usually folder.jpg or cover.jpg). As Spoon notes, sometimes windows will also save small versions of art in its own database.

Comment

• daleyb
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by garym
            to see if your artwork is embedded, in mp3tag:

1. right click on the column headings (right side of screen), then choose "customize columns"
            2. Click NEW in the popup screen
            3. give it the NAME: Embedded Art, and the VALUE: $if(%_covers%,Yes,No)
            4. Leave field and sortby blank

Now when you load a file into mp3tag you can look at the value in that column (yes or no) to see whether the art is embedded.

Note for background. Art can showup in players/servers from several sources. Typically the art is either embedded in the metadata or is simply a file contained in the ALBUM subdirectory (usually folder.jpg or cover.jpg). As Spoon notes, sometimes windows will also save small versions of art in its own database.
            thanks Gary (Sorry the thread got split with the rar one ).Ive done all above and no artworks showing in the artwork window column on the right...Does that mean i can sleep easy tonight..? I may be over worrying (thats me) I just want No Artwork saved in my homemade files.Plan B is to take out the cd album from P.C altogether-bet that will do it !

Tried a track with art and that came up fine-getting to grips with mp3tag too...Sometimes its easier to use sites rather than trying to explain to folk how things work!..

Comment

• daleyb
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Oct 2014

Still cant get rid of same Artwork Cover. Ive cleared my Jpeg of it and even cd off WMP. However when I rip a homemade cd the same cover still appears.Not at ripping stage-but after its on PC HD. When I go into IDTAGS the piccys not there at bottom of pop up.But if load jpeg-it comes up.even if I then remove it when i select track the same cover art pops up.(if play in wmp or just select.)
              Please note: 99.8 % of my ripps are from friends orig.Cds or Vinyl ripp (remember records?)But must admit this image was from free download .rar. So that could be problem...?

Original Cds are fine.
              And Mp3 TAG shows no embeded art on homemades. But Would still like to get rid of it.
              Iam using Windows 7 and have tried Spoons way-but not sure how to unable hidden artwork.(expand..Please)
              Would you advise to uninstall DBPA and reinstall or is that a tad bit OTT...?

Comment

• Dat Ei
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2014

Can you show us the cover? Please upload a screenshot! I still believe, that this cover is just a generic icon showed by your OS or player software.

Dat Ei

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by daleyb
                  Still cant get rid of same Artwork Cover. Ive cleared my Jpeg of it and even cd off WMP. However when I rip a homemade cd the same cover still appears.Not at ripping stage-but after its on PC HD. When I go into IDTAGS the piccys not there at bottom of pop up.But if load jpeg-it comes up.even if I then remove it when i select track the same cover art pops up.(if play in wmp or just select.)
                  Please note: 99.8 % of my ripps are from friends orig.Cds or Vinyl ripp (remember records?)But must admit this image was from free download .rar. So that could be problem...?

Original Cds are fine.
                  And Mp3 TAG shows no embeded art on homemades. But Would still like to get rid of it.
                  Iam using Windows 7 and have tried Spoons way-but not sure how to unable hidden artwork.(expand..Please)
                  Would you advise to uninstall DBPA and reinstall or is that a tad bit OTT...?
                  No, there's nothing to suggest you need to re-install dBp. I doubt that dBp is even related to the problem.

I suspect that the image came in the .rar package that you downloaded. I assume you have decompressed that package to get access the files inside? If not....if you are still trying to perform operations on the .rar package itself....you probably just keep pulling out the image along with everything else. If you have decompressed it, open the unzipped folder and try to locate the image. Or if there isn't a separate image file, load the music files into mp3tag and see if they have embedded artwork.

As requested above, can you show us this artwork? If it's the same one showing on everything that you think doesn't have artwork, it probably is indeed just a generic image the the player uses when files have no associated artwork.
                  Last edited by BrodyBoy; 03-06-2015, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• daleyb
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2014

Thanks for help.I think your going down the right line there Brodyboy. To be honest theres not a lot to see.After the track/s been ripped it goes back to my P.C. hd. Looking at the tracks unopen theres no image.Its only when i Select it the wmp image shows (thats the image-cd cover with the small orange circle with the triangle in centre-the wmp logo).If i play the track the cover pops up again.But in MP3TAG its not showing any artwork embed.
                    I used winzip to compress the file-but since deleted it.Have deleted all tracks too.
                    its just trying to find where the image is..and having it out my life.I will never compress anything again in my life!
                    all i want is no piccy in homemade cds! Do i need to reinstall winzip again...My guess is its lurking in WMP somewhere.

Comment

• Dat Ei
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Feb 2014

I used winzip to compress the file-but since deleted it.Have deleted all tracks too.
                      its just trying to find where the image is..and having it out my life.I will never compress anything again in my life!
                      all i want is no piccy in homemade cds! Do i need to reinstall winzip again...My guess is its lurking in WMP somewhere.
                      Man, you better read and listen to what people tell you here. That has nothing to do with rar or winzip. Please have a look at your Windows media Player configuration. I think the Player automatically tries to get more media information and album art over the web.

Just as a test - please rip one of your CDs and before you try to open on of those Audio files, disconnet your PC from the network (disable WiFi or disconnet the network cable), so that it does not have a chance to Access the Internet. What happens if you Play your Audio file then?

Dat Ei

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Wmp by default will try to add artwork, will try to add/modify your tag data, and all sorts of nasty things. I wouldn't let wmp touch my files. But at least look in its settings and turn off all those automatic settings. I suggest foobar2000 as a high quality windows music player. Or Winamp.

This is all about wmp, and has nothing to do with dbpa, zip, or rar.

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by garym
                          Wmp by default will try to add artwork, will try to add/modify your tag data, and all sorts of nasty things. I wouldn't let wmp touch my files. But at least look in its settings and turn off all those automatic settings. I suggest foobar2000 as a high quality windows music player. Or Winamp.

This is all about wmp, and has nothing to do with dbpa, zip, or rar.
                          I concur with garym and posted a similar warning here:

Use Windows Media Player at your peril.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2011

Its only when i Select it the wmp image shows (thats the image-cd cover with the small orange circle with the triangle in centre-the wmp logo).If i play the track the cover pops up again.
                            So you're saying it's the WMP logo? That's obviously not the same thing as album artwork.

I agree with the others here that you should probably try another player. But if you want to stay with WMP, you definitely want to turn off its automatic metadata stuff, since you want to have control of that yourself.

Also, understand that when WMP displays its logo, or a default placeholder graphic, that's not album artwork that got into your files somehow. (And understand that you'll likely see similar behavior with a lot of players: By default, most players show the associated cover art while playing tracks, so if there is no cover art associated with the file, the player may well have some default graphic that it displays rather than just an empty square.)

Comment

• daleyb
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Oct 2014

Artwork update: Did Dat Ei Test- With Internet rip then internet off Artwork still there even when playing.With internet off when ripping then selecting/playing-Image still there. So You dont have to be Columbo to realise then its from Computer. Sorry Brodyboy must of explained image poorly. Its the same cover but with the small WMP icon at bottom right and image comes up when playing in wmp.That icon is in all my original ripped cds in folders.-butnot in earlier homemade cds...

I did not realise having WMP library could "cross contaminate" (sorry to go a bit CSI) Into DBPA Ripps.I will clear Asap.Infact I will take off WMP completely-though that may be a bit OTT.not sure how to disable music bit in WMP-Help wecome!
                              i ALSO HAVE itunes open- but never use it-have no library stored and only use it to check Certain info.I have an Amazon library thats really small-but if advised to close I will!

Using FOOBAR so need for WMP Anyway.Just used it to send tracks to my smart TV.

still would like to get rid of that image though....

Comment

Working...

]]>