title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Ripped with multi encoder - missing flac file

Ripped with multi encoder - missing flac file

I tried Multi Encoder for the first time in order to get both FLAC and MP3 files. I was careful to say OK to both types of Encoder and they both show up in the Multi Encoder window. I was surprised to see that the Path was grayed out and wondered where the files would wind up. The MP3 file showed up in my laptop music folder, not in the NAS drive music folder that was in the Path box. But there is no FLAC file in either music fodler and I can't find it.

1. How can I control where the 2 encoder files are stored when Path is grayed out?

2. Shouldn't both encoder files wind up in the same music folder?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripped with multi encoder - missing flac file

Quote Originally Posted by tuneup View Post
    I tried Multi Encoder for the first time in order to get both FLAC and MP3 files. I was careful to say OK to both types of Encoder and they both show up in the Multi Encoder window. I was surprised to see that the Path was grayed out and wondered where the files would wind up. The MP3 file showed up in my laptop music folder, not in the NAS drive music folder that was in the Path box. But there is no FLAC file in either music fodler and I can't find it.

1. How can I control where the 2 encoder files are stored when Path is grayed out?

2. Shouldn't both encoder files wind up in the same music folder?
    You should be setting an output location for each encoder, so no, they shouldn't wind up in the same folder. I'm not sure what you mean when you say PATH is grayed out, as the settings dialog box (see below) should look like the Music Converter settings box, where you get three options you can check: Original Folder, Folder (where you then fill or browse to the path), and Dynamic (where you can specify your naming string). There isn't a separate "Path" dialog, button, etc.

To be clear, select your first encoder from the drop-down box at the top of the Multi-Encoder settings page, then set all the parameters, including output location, for that encoder. Do the same thing for each additional encoder you're using.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you BrodyBoy. I am a newbie so please be patient. I had left Output Location on Original Folder, as I couldn't find detailed instructions on setting up Multi Encoder. I would much appreciate it if you could send me a link to such instructions. I thought that the Path line at the lower left profile area of the CD Ripper window was what determined where the files would go. See image at http://postimg.org/image/6wzj0ubxp/

Do I first create separate FLAC and MP3 folders in the Music folder of my NAS drive and then browse to them in the Folder line? I want to easily grab only MP3 files to load into portable devices and use the FLAC files in a high end music server setup at home.

Will Multi Encoder work with Batch Ripper on a Nimbie USB Plus? I bought it because I've got 5000+ CDs to rip.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you BrodyBoy. I am a newbie so please be patient.
    No worries....that's what the forums are here for.
    I had left Output Location on Original Folder, as I couldn't find detailed instructions on setting up Multi Encoder. I would much appreciate it if you could send me a link to such instructions. I thought that the Path line at the lower left profile area of the CD Ripper window was what determined where the files would go. See image at http://postimg.org/image/6wzj0ubxp/

Do I first create separate FLAC and MP3 folders in the Music folder of my NAS drive and then browse to them in the Folder line? I want to easily grab only MP3 files to load into portable devices and use the FLAC files in a high end music server setup at home.
    In most cases, the best instructions you'll find are already located on your computer.....press the help button on whatever "thing" you're on (the help button is a little red box with a question mark in it). There are also online resources, but unfortunately, there isn't one, well-organized "manual" as such. You're not alone if you're a bit frustrated with that. But again, the forums are here to pick up the slack, so don't hesitate to raise your questions here.

Although you don't have to create the new folders first, that's the way I would do it. Then I'd use the folder & naming settings to create whatever folder structure I want inside those two main locations. As a side note, I generally recommend ripping the files to your local computer first. The reason is that you're going to discover that refining your tagging scheme...both in CD Ripper settings and in post-rip editing....will take a little time and practice. You can easily move files to the NAS once you're sure things are configured and functioning the way you want. (Editing tags, and generally working with files, just tends to be more cumbersome over the network. Plus, it's an easy way to keep the "still need work" files separate from the "done" files.)

Thank you so much BrodyBoy for the answers and for the sentiment.

And my question of whether Multi Encoder will work with the Nimbie?

Possible strategy: With the large number of CDs I have, I guess it would make sense to rip maybe a few hundred into my cptr in small batches, refine the CD Ripper and tagging settings and then move them to the NAS. Once all the settings are refined, I think I will rip larger quantities and just spot check them before moving to the NAS. If when playing music, I find further work is needed on a particular CD, I could move the file back to the cptr to work on it and then return it to the NAS.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you so much BrodyBoy for the answers and for the sentiment.

And my question of whether Multi Encoder will work with the Nimbie?
    Sorry, forgot about that one. I've never used the Nimbie, so I should not assume/speculate. They're fairly common, though, so hopefully someone familiar with your setup can weigh in with a definitive answer.

Possible strategy: With the large number of CDs I have, I guess it would make sense to rip maybe a few hundred into my cptr in small batches, refine the CD Ripper and tagging settings and then move them to the NAS. Once all the settings are refined, I think I will rip larger quantities and just spot check them before moving to the NAS. If when playing music, I find further work is needed on a particular CD, I could move the file back to the cptr to work on it and then return it to the NAS.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. With the first batch you do, and send to the NAS, really run it through its paces in terms of navigating, sorting, and playing around with all the view options in your player(s). Sometimes when I mention that metadata takes some time & effort, it's assumed that I mean things like track titles (or other basic info about the music) might be inaccurate/missing/whatever, and it'll be obvious when playing that particular album or track. While there is some of that, the databases are pretty good at getting that basic stuff right. Rather, the metadata issues that really degrade a library's functionality are in the "organizational tags," the ones that your player uses to let you sort and search, or to view your library in a particular way, to handle compilations, multi-disc sets, and so on. Does it recognize/use the *SORT tags? Does it automatically ignore a leading "The ", or do you need to take care of that yourself? Does it group compilations by ALBUM ARTIST, the COMPILATION flag, or both in some prioritized fashion? What tags does it ignore? (So I know not to put important info there, like a featured artist that I want to be searchable.) Etc, etc.

Different players can do all this a little differently, so it's a good idea to do a few hundred first...with a variety of different types of albums...to make sure that your tagging scheme results in the desired behavior in your players.

Thanks again BB (is that contraction okay?). That's a lot of good information. I previously sent another reply, which may be waiting for approval by a moderator. I tried the Nimbie with Multi Encoder and it didn't work, but that doesn't mean someone else hasn't figured it out. I then tried the same discs with the same profile on my cptr and multi encoder worked fine. When I use the Nimbie, I can always do a batch conversion later.

Administrator

In Batch Ripper click 'Profile' to have access to the CD Ripper page (this changes settings only) enable multi encoder there, then close CD ripper and begin ripping.