title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Compilations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • naimconvert
    • Feb 2015

Ripping Compilations

Hello
    I have just purchase dBpoweramp/CD ripper to Rip my CD collection to my NAS.
    I have managed to successfully rip FLAC to one folder and MP3 to another. I have set things so that it dynamically saves as [artist]\[album]\[artist] - [title]and so far so good. (everything looks nice and tidy )
    Then when I tried to rip Now 89 I noticed it has saves each individual artiest in a separate folder, when you click on the artiest it has an album called Now 89 and then inside that folder is the individual song.
    The program recognises that its a compilation but does not save it as one. To save me hours of reading can any tell me how to get round this?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping Compilations

Use the default naming::

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

It keeps the compilation together.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• naimconvert
      • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Spoon
      Use the default naming::

[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title]

It keeps the compilation together.
      Thanks do I copy this into the dynamic path? If yes will it work in the same way as my original set up when ripping normal CD's ?

Thanks for your help

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by naimconvert
        Thanks do I copy this into the dynamic path? If yes will it work in the same way as my original set up when ripping normal CD's ?

Thanks for your help
        yes and yes.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

here's another example (what I use) that deals automatically with albumartist vs artist, compilations, and multidisk CDs.

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

Comment

• naimconvert
            • Feb 2015

Thanks. Is there a way you can set it so that it is not filed into a folder call various artist and then the album name, but just album name for the complications. but then when normal CD, it reverts back to being saved back under artist name, them album?

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by naimconvert
              Thanks. Is there a way you can set it so that it is not filed into a folder call various artist and then the album name, but just album name for the complications. but then when normal CD, it reverts back to being saved back under artist name, them album?
              yes, use this instead.

[IFCOMP][album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

Comment

• les_ducote
                • Mar 2015

I am having a similar problem and i have tried everything above and I'm having no luck... I am using the r1.1 for OS X.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by les_ducote
                  I am having a similar problem and i have tried everything above and I'm having no luck... I am using the r1.1 for OS X.
                  please clarify, as the above info solved the other poster's problem. What are you trying to achieve, what naming string are you using now, and what are you getting as output that you don't want?
                  Last edited by garym; 03-13-2015, 12:37 AM.

Comment

• naimconvert
                    • Feb 2015

Hi. I Used the [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][artist][][]\[album]\[track] [artist] - [title] as suggested by Simon and it solved my problem. Is this not working for you?

Comment

• les_ducote
                      • Mar 2015

What is happening is the compilation artists is broken down into multiple folders by artist instead of one folder for various artists. I have copied and pasted both of the suggestions posted earlier and i keep getting the same results. Under naming I currently have this currently [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][album artist][][]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title] & under the dynamic setting i have [artist]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title]. id like to have it set up to where i can rip a regular cd or a compilation without having to change any of the settings around each time.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

What is happening is the compilation artists is broken down into multiple folders by artist instead of one folder for various artists. I have copied and pasted both of the suggestions posted earlier and i keep getting the same results. Under naming I currently have this currently [IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][album artist][][]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title] & under the dynamic setting i have [artist]/[album]/[track] [artist] - [title]. id like to have it set up to where i can rip a regular cd or a compilation without having to change any of the settings around each time.
                        [COLOR=*1F497D][/COLOR]
                        did you try this I posted earlier:

[IFCOMP]Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

This works for all my rips without changing anything. Compilations go into a "compilations" subdirectory instead of an artist subdirectory. Then the albums are in subdirectories under either COMPILATIONS or ARTIST for noncompilations. For Artist, if ALBUM ARTIST exists, it uses that, otherwise it uses ARTIST. And if any of these are multidisk CDs, it handles that too. THE KEY FOR COMPILATIONS IS THAT WHEN RIPPING YOU MUST TICK THE COMPILATION BOX ON THE RIPPER PAGE SO THAT DBPA KNOWS IT IS A COMPILATION.
                        EDIT. i think I see the problem. what do you mean by using naming and dynamic naming. that doesn't make sense. there is only one place. You're not putting the string above into dynamic naming it seems. it should look like these pictures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	292869Click image for larger version

Name:	CropperCapture[2].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	292870
                        Last edited by garym; 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• les_ducote
                          • Mar 2015

Thank you, I will give that a try

Comment

• les_ducote
                            • Mar 2015

I think i figured out part of the problem. I am using the apple lossless and flac multi encoder. I tried ripping just flac and it seems to work just fine. but combined it isn't...

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

I think i figured out part of the problem. I am using the apple lossless and flac multi encoder. I tried ripping just flac and it seems to work just fine. but combined it isn't...
                              I don't use multiencoder, but I understand that you have two independent places to setup your dynamic naming. Make sure you're using the right string in both places.

Comment

Working...

]]>