title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can you suggest stand-alone player (not computer) for files on NAS?

Can you suggest stand-alone player (not computer) for files on NAS?

I have a Squeezebox Classic V3 connected to my stereo system that plays files wirelessly off my NAS as long as my laptop computer is on and running the Squeezebox Logitech Media Server software. I want to play my converted files (MPs3s or FLAC) on a home player that sees my network NAS wirelessly and plays the files with my computer turned off.

I don't want to spend several hundreds of dollars on a player. The Squeezebox works great except that my computer must be running to use it.

WHAT PLAYERS DO YOU RECOMMEND THAT I CONSIDER? (I see plenty of video players, but audio players seem to be falling by the wayside.)

Ed

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can you suggest stand-alone player (not computer) for files on NAS?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarlander View Post
    I have a Squeezebox Classic V3 connected to my stereo system that plays files wirelessly off my NAS as long as my laptop computer is on and running the Squeezebox Logitech Media Server software. I want to play my converted files (MPs3s or FLAC) on a home player that sees my network NAS wirelessly and plays the files with my computer turned off.

I don't want to spend several hundreds of dollars on a player. The Squeezebox works great except that my computer must be running to use it.

WHAT PLAYERS DO YOU RECOMMEND THAT I CONSIDER? (I see plenty of video players, but audio players seem to be falling by the wayside.)

Ed
    You don't need a new player. the squeezebox is great (that's all I use). You need a NAS that can run LMS rather than running it on your computer. There are plenty that can. What is your NAS?

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    You don't need a new player. the squeezebox is great (that's all I use). You need a NAS that can run LMS rather than running it on your computer. There are plenty that can. What is your NAS?
    I have Western Digital WD My Cloud NAS (bought last week). I've asked folks on the WD My Cloud Forum how to use it with Squeezebox V3 and I've gotten no responses. Gary, do you know how? (Are you using V3 of Squeezebox?)

If not, what various NAS will work?

Thanks very much.

Ed

dBpoweramp Guru

I have a sb v3, a transporter, several touch players, several booms, and several radios. So I'm drowning in Squeezebox players. There are lots and lots of nas units that will run LMS. I'd start by searching the forums at forums.slimdevices.com. This is where all things about squeezebox can be answered. Here's a start:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...NAS-to-run-LMS

I know folks use QNAP and other things. I use a small headless computer (no monitor or keyboard) that is very small, no fan so very quiet, and runs "vortexbox" (a linux system that includes LMS, etc.). anyhow, lots of options. And the key is not the squeezebox player. the key is that the nas run LMS. If it runs LMS, it willl then work to feed any squeezebox player.