title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Possible bug: ComposerSort not recognized when using Multi Encoder

Possible bug: ComposerSort not recognized when using Multi Encoder

Apologies. This should have been posted under the CD Ripper forum but I'm on my phone now and can't figure out how to move it. Please can a moderator please move it? Thanks
    ---

Hi,

I have a naming string I've been using happily for a while which uses the ComposerSort tag to organise Classical music when ripping to FLAC. (R15.2 with latest updates)

I recently set up Multi Encoder for FLAC and MP3 with the exact same naming string but the directory structure created is wrong/different.
    I think I've narrowed the issue down to the ComposerSort tag not being recognised under Multi Encoder but would appreciate some verification in case I'm missing something.

When ripping to FLAC (without Multi Encoder) the directory structure that gets created is:
    M:\Music Library\Classical\B\Bartók, Béla\(1993) BBC Music Vol 2, No 2&*720; Duke Bluebeard's Castle\

When using Multi Encoder what gets created is:
    M:\Music Library\Classical\UNDEF_TAG\UNDEF_TAG\(1993) BBC Music, Vol 2, No 2&*720; Duke Bluebeard's Castle (Béla Bartok)

(The result is the same for MP3 under Multi Encoder except the top directory is "MP3 Library" instead of "Music Library")

The part of my naming string that creates the colored bits highlighted above is:
    Code:
    [IFEQUALS]genre,Classical,
         [IFVALUE][tag]ComposerSort[],
              [UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[tag]ComposerSort[][][]\[tag]ComposerSort[],
              UNDEF_TAG\UNDEF_TAG
         [],
         [IFVALUE]album artist sort,
              [UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[tag]album artist sort[][][]\[tag]album artist sort[],
              UNDEF_TAG\UNDEF_TAG
         []
    []
    \
    (Indents and line breaks added for readability)

I use the UNDEF_TAG string as a post-rip visual indicator to see that when metadata needs to be corrected, but in this case I confirmed that ComposerSort tag is defined in the metadata under both profiles. It's just not recognized when processing under Multi Encoder resulting in the UNDEF_TAG string getting inserted.

FLAC profile metadata:
    flac.JPG

FLAC & MP3 Multi Encoder profile metadata:
    Multi.JPG

Thanks,
    Tm
    Last edited by TimR; 02-25-2015 at 04:54 AM. Reason: added version info

Administrator

Re: Possible bug: ComposerSort not recognized when using Multi Encoder

Where would it get 'UNDEF_TAG' from? it must be present somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Where would it get 'UNDEF_TAG' from? it must be present somewhere.
    Maybe I didn't explain clearly enough. I know where the UNDEF_TAG string comes from. It's a deliberate part of my naming string where i have logic that checks if a tag has a value (see the code block on my original post).

If the ComposerSort tag has a value then I use it in the naming string. Where it doesn't have a value or does not exist I insert the string UNDEF_TAG so post-rip i can easily see if some metadata was missing. Is just a visual check that shows up when something goes wrong. It's not part of the problem. I could just as easily have left that string out and then the multi encoder processing would simply have resulted in nothing being inserted in place of the "B\Bartok, Bela\" string that should be there.

The actual issue is that (for the exact same metadata) ComposerSort is recognised as having a value when encoding to FLAC but is not recognised as having a value when using the Multi Encoder.

Thanks

Administrator

Are you running R15.2?

Yes. With all the latest Codecs and updates.

Administrator

For this track, have in the naming string just [tag]ComposerSort[] what is written to the filename?

Interesting.

1)
    When I set the naming string to just [tag]ComposerSort[] for FLAC under Multi Encoder, the track gets created as:
    "M:\Music Library.flac"

The settings I have are shown in the attached image below. So the track gets named to the top level folder specified which is "Music Library". The ComposerSort tag value is ignored even though it exists in the metadata.

Screenshot of Multi Encoder FLAC Settings:
    Capture.JPG

2)
    If I set the folder to be just the drive letter "M:" under Multi Encoder then the file name is just "flac"

3)
    When I try to use the same naming string under the normal FLAC encoder (on it's own, not under Multi) I get the message:
    "Naming has to be formed using dynamic items (such as [title] or [track]) otherwise every track will have the same filename."

So to get it to work I have to add [title] to make the string [tag]ComposerSort[]_[title]. This yields a track named:
    "M:\Music Library\Bartók, Béla_Prologue&*720; Auguries Of Darkness And Desire.flac"

Which is exactly what I would expect with the correct ComposerSort tag information included.

Screenshot of FLAC encoder settings:
    flac.JPG

-Tim

Administrator

Ok, possible bug noted.

Administrator

I have tried and cannot reproduce, used multi encoder, set to encode just wave, set the naming as:

[IFVALUE][tag]ComposerSort[],[UPPER][GRAB]1,1,[tag]ComposerSort[][][]\[tag]ComposerSort[],UNDEF_TAG\UNDEF_TAG[]

and the correct value is written. Can you try the above string on its own, if it does not work, please upload your flac file and PM me a link.