title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FDK AAC encoder quality compared to Apple AAC

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dby2011
    • Feb 2015

FDK AAC encoder quality compared to Apple AAC

I started archiving my cd collection using dbpoweramp. I have the cd ripper set to encode my cds in FLAC and 256 cbr AAC. I didn't realize that the FDK AAC encoder used by dbpoweramp is not the same one that is used by Apple in itunes until recently. Should I be concerned with the quality of the FDK encoder vs the Apple one? or are they the same for 256 cbr? I thought that the quality of AAC is supposed to be better than LAME 256 mp3 or do you guys think I should just stick to using the LAME mp3 encoder for 256? Thanks. I found some comments about the FDK AAC encoder being inferior to Apple and now am worried if I should just use LAME mp3 and drop the idea of using dbpoweramp's AAC encoder. BTW- dbpoweramp is a fantastic program.
  • BrodyBoy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2011

Re: FDK AAC encoder quality compared to Apple AAC

Originally posted by dby2011
    I started archiving my cd collection using dbpoweramp. I have the cd ripper set to encode my cds in FLAC and 256 cbr AAC. I didn't realize that the FDK AAC encoder used by dbpoweramp is not the same one that is used by Apple in itunes until recently. Should I be concerned with the quality of the FDK encoder vs the Apple one? or are they the same for 256 cbr? I thought that the quality of AAC is supposed to be better than LAME 256 mp3 or do you guys think I should just stick to using the LAME mp3 encoder for 256? Thanks. I found some comments about the FDK AAC encoder being inferior to Apple and now am worried if I should just use LAME mp3 and drop the idea of using dbpoweramp's AAC encoder. BTW- dbpoweramp is a fantastic program.
    There's no reason to be concerned about quality between the dBp and Apple AAC encoders....given the same parameters, they'll output the same.

mp3 vs AAC....potato, po-tah-to. For all practical purposes, they are interchangeable, and the only consideration should be compatibility with all your current and potential playback devices. And since both are pretty universally-compatible, even that's a non-factor.

Some analyses I've read suggested that AAC delivered better quality at low bit rates. (Keep in mind that the music sold on iTunes was 128kbps for a long time, so perhps that may explain why they "tuned" AAC to perform better in that range.) But when you get into the lossy bit rates that most users around here would consider acceptable, say 256kbps and up, there's no difference. I don't recall if either codec is considered to have any advantage in terms of file size, but with so much abundant storage now, most people probably wouldn't care if there were.

Comment

• dby2011
      • Feb 2015

Thanks for your reply!

Comment

• dby2011
        • Feb 2015

Anyone else have opinions on this? I have been doing a lot of searching and can find very little in regards to quality of the FDK AAC encoder. I am beginning to wonder if I should just stick to the LAME mp3 encoder and dump the idea of AAC.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by dby2011
          Anyone else have opinions on this? I have been doing a lot of searching and can find very little in regards to quality of the FDK AAC encoder. I am beginning to wonder if I should just stick to the LAME mp3 encoder and dump the idea of AAC.
          Choosing the best codec for your purposes is more important than worrying about encoders. AAC and mp3 are mostly interchangeable, in terms of player support, so it probably doesn't matter much.
          Last edited by BrodyBoy; 04-23-2015, 05:30 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

• dby2011
            • Feb 2015

I am currently using the dual encoder feature of the cd ripper and ripping my Cds in FLAC and 256 CB aac (using the FDK aac encoder) at the same time. My plan is to store my cds and just use the digital files. I can always just batch convert the FLAC files to whatever format I want after this is done. I just can't find a lot of info about the FDK aac and the only info I found said it was intended for Android and was inferior to the Apple aac encoder. One post said the FDK AAC Encoder never goes above 17kHz which got me worried about my choice.

Comment

• pacocrowley
              • Apr 2015

Hi, new user here.

I'm pleasantly surprised to find this thread active, because I'm having the same "dilemma" right now; I just converted some of my music from FLAC to AAC FDK quality 5 (as opposed to my old mp3 V0 setup), and I must say, the quality is very much the same EXCEPT in parts with a low volume. You start hearing some artifacts (like ground noise) and it's very noticeable in some parts. Right now I've only tried with pop music, maybe with classical stuff is worse? I'll try later.

Comment

Working...

]]>