title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Can't Rip CD

Can't Rip CD

I got a new CD last week (David Gray, White Ladder). When I loaded it DBPowerAmp retrived the name, tag information, and art work with no problem but when I tried to rip the CD it had errors on every track and would not rip the CD. I pulled several other CD's from my collection and was able to get them to rip without any problems so I assumed the CD was bad, sent it back and ordered another one. The replacement arrived today and the same thing happened - tags and artwork retrieved but errors on all tracks when ripping.

I then opened iTunes and to my surprise it was able to rip the CD. Any ideas as to what is happening?

FYI, I upgraded to the most recent Reference Version on 2/4/15.

Thanks

Keith

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Can't Rip CD

Hey Keith,

this CD was released in 2000 from Sony / Warner. My guess is that this CD is copy protected and defective by design. You can try to configure CD Ripper that it might handle this CD (CD Ripper -> Options: select 'Defective by Design').

Dat Ei

Administrator

What exact error msg was shown?

Thank you for your response. I don't see the response - "defective by design under options. Can you clarify?

Thanks

Keith

Hi Spoon: Under the rip status it simply shows a red x with the word Error next to it. Under title there was "Hidden First Track (ability to rip depends on CD drive)"

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey Keith,

in CD Ripper click "Options" and check "defective by design" in the first section "Ripping Method".

Dat Ei

Hi: I did find that in options but it still won't rip.

Administrator

Uncheck the first track, then try to rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Uncheck the first track, then try to rip.
    Thanks, but that didn't work.

But, in the process I saw that there is a hidden first track 0. It was not checked. I just checked it and it is ripping. Go figure.

Thanks for your help!!

Thx

Keith

Hi

I am having the same problem but with multiple CD's, mainly classical. I am getting the "unable to open file" message on all tracks and all CD's that I have tried. I have unchecked all boxes on the "Accurate rip" option and also tried CD "defective by design" method. The CD's all rip ok to iTunes and I have also tried ripping using a different writer...same problem. Anyone out there can help me with this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suggs53 View Post
    Hi

I am having the same problem but with multiple CD's, mainly classical. I am getting the "unable to open file" message on all tracks and all CD's that I have tried. I have unchecked all boxes on the "Accurate rip" option and also tried CD "defective by design" method. The CD's all rip ok to iTunes and I have also tried ripping using a different writer...same problem. Anyone out there can help me with this? Thanks
    Can you post the error messages here?

I'm still finding it impossible to rip "copy protected" CD's. What is interesting is that I can rip them using iTunes, Windows Media Player, and several other more generic programs but I can't get them to rip using dbpoweramp or EZ CD Audio Converter, both programs I paid for and recently updated. I did discover that when I updated to 15.1 it did not remove my older version of dbpoweramp. So, I removed everything and started with a clean install, upgrading to 15.2. That didn't help.

Any ideas how I get past this issue?

Thanks

Keith

Here is what I'm seeing for each track:

Unable to read CD, check CD disc (frame LBA 32 ripping 26 frames track and LBA 18040 [clRiperSecure::Rip]

The only difference by track is the LBA number - for example it is 18040 for track 1, 37740 for track 2, 52545 for track 3, etc.

Thanks for your help!