title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Can I edit metadata in files I have already ripped with bd poweramp?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanblerk
    • Feb 2015

Re: Can I edit metadata in files I have already ripped with bd poweramp?

Thanks again - sounds like mp3tag may well solve my problem. This forum is great for noobs like me - your help is really appreciated.

I'll give it a go later today if we can't get dbp to do it.

Comment

• LowWing19
      • Mar 2015

Yea, but if you decide not to buy dBpoweramp, or just haven't gotten around to it yet, there is no tag editing in any other application (Foobar...)

dBpoweramp is a very good FLAC ripper, but I don't like any applications that lock you in, no matter how good they are.

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by LowWing19
        Yea, but if you decide not to buy dBpoweramp, or just haven't gotten around to it yet, there is no tag editing in any other application (Foobar...)

dBpoweramp is a very good FLAC ripper, but I don't like any applications that lock you in, no matter how good they are.
        what do you mean by "lock you in"? dbpa rips/converts/edits but once done you're not locked in. Your files can be used by any program. Also note that there is very good tag editing in foobar2000. But this said, mp3tag is my go-to tag editor after I've done my ripping/converting with dbpoweramp.

Comment

• mville
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2008

Please can you explain what you mean in this statement?

Comment

• LowWing19
            • Mar 2015

I ripped about a box worth of CDs to FLAC using dBpoweramp, and still had about 3 more boxes to go. During the ripping, dBpa came off as one of those must have apps; an app that was written by a user, not a developer.

But then i noticed that the metadata couldn't be edited by any other programs; the default program being Foobar. And there was absolutely no problem using Foobar to edit metadata in FLAC files that had been downloaded from HDTracks or other sources. Same thing with files that had been ripped from vinyl, and then converted to FLAC.

So dBpa was doing something to lock down the properties, because when you use Foobar to edit metadata from a file ripped by dBpa you'll get a message that says "Access denied" when you try to save the changes.

Did i not push the Save button hard enough?

Comment

• BrodyBoy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2011

So dBpa was doing something to lock down the properties, because when you use Foobar to edit metadata from a file ripped by dBpa you'll get a message that says "Access denied" when you try to save the changes.
              No, this is entirely a problem with your particular setup, not a universal "lock down thing" that dBp does. dBp, foobar, and any other program with tag editing capabilities should be able to edit the metadata in you FLAC files. If you're having a problem with that, you should get help with that issue in your setup (and be careful about advising other users based on the assumption that this is how the software works for everybody).

Comment

• LowWing19
                • Mar 2015

I'm not giving advice, i'm looking for it - it's a great app, but this issue is problematic...

So here it is; my system is something that i built and installed - and it isn't the first one - the first build would have been somewhere around 1991. Dual boot, Win7/Ubuntu, and nothing is locked down in 7. And 7 is also fairly bare-bones, because this box is really just a music server. No sound card; audio goes straight to DAC.

The only file type on my system that i cannot edit are FLAC files that i created with dBpa.

So before i do buy this app, that i liked other than this issue, why is this happening?

And as i mentioned, there are no issue with any FLAC files from any other sources.

Comment

• daleyb
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Oct 2014

Originally posted by garym
                  BrodyBoy makes an excellent point. I've ripped 1000s of CDs to FLAC with dbpa and also use mp3tag very often for tag editing. It is just part of my standard ripping process.
                  Just Downloaded mp3tag. Looks like another bit of software to learn.! (just got to grips dbpa...nearly.)

Can i take it you use it after your ripp in dbpa-if not happy with metadata/ tags. Then do you export it back to your library..?

If you have just a few tracks that are not Quite right surely its quicker just to pop them into the tracklist than use it.(A last resort if DBPA fails with info-which happily many times it dont!)

The Bottom line: Keep it Simple-but accurate.

Comment

• garym
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Nov 2007

I'm not giving advice, i'm looking for it - it's a great app, but this issue is problematic...

So here it is; my system is something that i built and installed - and it isn't the first one - the first build would have been somewhere around 1991. Dual boot, Win7/Ubuntu, and nothing is locked down in 7. And 7 is also fairly bare-bones, because this box is really just a music server. No sound card; audio goes straight to DAC.

The only file type on my system that i cannot edit are FLAC files that i created with dBpa.

So before i do buy this app, that i liked other than this issue, why is this happening?

And as i mentioned, there are no issue with any FLAC files from any other sources.
                    Hmmm. Something is definitely wrong on your end but I can't think of anything to check. Dbpa simply writes the FLAC file with standard tags. I've ripped thousands of CDs with dbpa and any of these have tags that can be fully edited with foobar2000 or mp3tag. When you right click one of the FLAC files that you can't edit, look at file properties, and note whether it shows as write protected? That's all I can think of.

Comment

• Vanblerk
                      • Feb 2015

Can i take it you use it after your ripp in dbpa-if not happy with metadata/ tags. Then do you export it back to your library..?
                      Yes, you can edit tags once they are ripped - I have got mp3tag to use alongside dbpoweramp and it's pretty good. Although It's highlighted yet another challenge in this Kafka-esque journey to get my CDs playable from a server... which I'll consult about soon.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by daleyb
                        Regarding "export back to your library" keep in mind that this depends on what you are using for your library database, what program is acting as a music server to play your music to whatever playback devices you are using. In my own case, once I edit any tags in mp3tag and click SAVE, the new tag info is written to the files themselves. In my server, I do have to have the server "rescan" my files so that its music library (database) is updated for the tag changes. (I'm using Squeezeboxes as networked music players and Logitech Media Server as my music database/server that feeds data to my squeezebox players, which in turn are connected to my stereos around the house).

Comment

• Vanblerk
                          • Feb 2015

Ok, so here's where I am in trying to get my system able to index my CDs properly. As discussed in earlier posts on this thread I am having trouble with certain CDs in getting my streamer to identify albums associated with artists, especially where there are multiple artists listed under an album.

I have since noticed this affects compilations as well; it doesn't index the artists properly.

I have got hold of mp3tag (on the recommendation of one of the members of this forum) to edit the tags, as this 'edit tag' functionality doesn't seem to work on my installation of dbpoweramp.

So, I can now see and edit the tags, and from what I can see dbpoweramp is doing a great job of ripping the tags along with the album (High fives to Spoony). I can't see any missing or odd-looking tags and all seems in order. I do, however still have problems in accessing some files though my streamer (a Cyrus Xa) - see previous post with screen grabs for details.

What I can observe is:

1) The streamer sees exactly the same as the IOS (Ipad) controller app. so I don't think it's a coding problem with the app.

2) CDs where the 'artist' tag is exactly the same as the 'album artist' tag throughout all index perfectly and are easily searchable under either album or artist categories.

3) For CDs where the where the 'artist' tag is different to the 'album artist' tag: these are not searchable by artist. In the example I showed earlier the problem seems to be that these tags were different. If I make them the same, it's fine. This should not be so - I should be able to have multiple artists and be able to find the album!

4) CDs with multiple artists (separated by \\ in the artist tag) are only recognised under the first artist. If an album contains more than one artist tag, the second seems to be ignored.

5) Compilations are not searchable under album title - even though they are tagged properly with a '1' in the compilation tag field. My system seems to read these as a set of individual artist tags. When I search for an album under 'artists' I get every artist on the compilation listed with no association with the rest of the album. I suspect this may be the way my streamer is reading the tags.

I am thinking that dbpoweramp is recording the tags properly, but my streamer is not reading them correctly for some reason.

So my next question (which I dread asking, as every question I have asked has involved another level of hell that takes a week to research/understand, despite the loveliness and helpfulness of the people on here) is: what should I be doing differently to make this work? Is there another standard to which I need to rip files to (currently lossless, uncompressed FLAC), or is there something I need to adjust in dbpoweramp when ripping to make my system understand the tags?

Once again I am completely stuck and fed up with this nightmare!

As before, any help will be very gratefully received!

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

is your Cyrus streamer a DLNA/UpNp streamer? I can't help as I don't know anything about how your streamer works. if it is DLNA/upnp it must have some location of the files and a sever that feeds it the files and a control point (I guess your ipad). I'm not a fan of DLNA/upnp streaming as is typically way too basic to do some things (although I'm told the ASSET program of illustrate is way better than most). My squeezebox setup allows me to stream about 6,000 albums and it is all searchable and browsable by artist, album artist, multiartist tags, etc. But it is not using DLNA/UpNp so I'm not able to compare approaches.

edit: And yes, bottom line this is an issue with your streamer and its protocols and NOT an issue with tagging. Unfortunately, some of the high end audio manufacturers have very problematic streaming protocols (Linn, Naim, etc.). Given the advances in that area, it is a real shame.

Comment

• Vanblerk
                              • Feb 2015

is your Cyrus streamer a DLNA/UpNp streamer?
                              I have no idea! Sorry, I don't have a great deal of knowledge of these things. As you can probably tell!

I rip from Dbpoweramp to a QNAP server and my Cyrus Xa streamer picks up the files from there. Does that help?

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Vanblerk
                                I have no idea! Sorry, I don't have a great deal of knowledge of these things. As you can probably tell!

I rip from Dbpoweramp to a QNAP server and my Cyrus Xa streamer picks up the files from there. Does that help?
                                I suspect it is DLNA/upnp server (the qnap and Cyrus player). I'm not sure if spoon's ASSET product will help. It may, but I'm not a user. Other than that, you're best bet is to find another forum with Cyrus Xa users and get help from others using the same setup. There must be folks out there that can help (unlikely on this forum though, since it is not actually a dbpa issue).

I understand your frustration. There is a learning curve when moving to digital music, streaming, tagging, etc. You're using a top notch ripper (dbpa), you're ripping to lossless (FLAC), which is good, so you're off to a good start. There is a light at the end of the tunnel so keep at it. I have 90,000 tagged files, available 24/7 to various players around my home, which can each play something different or play the same thing (synched), and my wife and I can control all this from our iphones, ipads, laptops, etc. Other than adding new music when I rip new CDs, it requires little or no attention (an occasional software update) but mostly it just runs 24/7 for months at a time. So once you can figure it all out, its worth it. Good luck. And look for some place where Cyrus users hang out as I'm sure they'll have good info for you.

Comment

Working...

]]>