title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I edit metadata in files I have already ripped with bd poweramp?

Re: Can I edit metadata in files I have already ripped with bd poweramp?

Thanks for that Gary - I'll have to do that I think. I've had a look through the Cyrus manual, and it's not very helpful I'm afraid.

It's so close - most normal albums are fine, it's just that one issue that is holding me back; very frustrating.

And yes, it is a steep learning curve. If I'd have known I think I would have stuck to CDs, as I have spent days and days trying to figure this out. I'm not giving up now I've come this far.

My only reason for continuing to bombard these forums was the vain hope that there was something I could switch in Dbpoweramp that would make it all work. Seems not...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vanblerk View Post
    Thanks for that Gary - I'll have to do that I think. I've had a look through the Cyrus manual, and it's not very helpful I'm afraid.

It's so close - most normal albums are fine, it's just that one issue that is holding me back; very frustrating.

And yes, it is a steep learning curve. If I'd have known I think I would have stuck to CDs, as I have spent days and days trying to figure this out. I'm not giving up now I've come this far.

My only reason for continuing to bombard these forums was the vain hope that there was something I could switch in Dbpoweramp that would make it all work. Seems not...
    a quick perusal of the web was enough to tell me that your streamer is using upnp. But the manual is a bit cryptic and talks in terms of a "sort of" proprietary streaming approach. But other places I look indicate it is simply using upnp (which is much more likely). As you're discovering, upnp/dlna protocols can be very limiting. But again, finding a forum with other users of your streamer will be the most useful thing you can do.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I was thinking of buying a Cyrus Xa Stream-You have put me off a Tad. Apart from the issues raised whats the Sound like,,,?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Regarding "export back to your library" keep in mind that this depends on what you are using for your library database, what program is acting as a music server to play your music to whatever playback devices you are using. In my own case, once I edit any tags in mp3tag and click SAVE, the new tag info is written to the files themselves. In my server, I do have to have the server "rescan" my files so that its music library (database) is updated for the tag changes. (I'm using Squeezeboxes as networked music players and Logitech Media Server as my music database/server that feeds data to my squeezebox players, which in turn are connected to my stereos around the house).
    Thanks for help.To be honest my homemade cds i have to input data manual anyway.But Original cds iam thinking of mp3tag to rectify any probs...all my ripps are going to my computers harddrive then backed up on WD2TB hdd then on there final journey to the NAS. Do you know if its possible to send the info back to Original DBPA ripp to PC....-how i dont know-but would make it easier for me...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daleyb View Post
    Do you know if its possible to send the info back to Original DBPA ripp to PC....-how i dont know-but would make it easier for me...
    What do you mean here? Are you talking about edits you make in mp3tag?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    What do you mean here? Are you talking about edits you make in mp3tag?
    Please forgive if unclear.Ive only just downloaded Mp3tag so unsure. Lets Say Ive just Ripped a CD Original In DBPA. but not happy with meta data or Artwork. I know I can fill in Data via tags &using Artwork from Where ever and if one song lets say not right.However, lets say its a double cd with all tracks wrong and artwork not right-can i then go to mp3tag get info and place that back into DBPA Ripp..on computer HD..?. Hope so.Dont know how to yet-Or do I just do a copy and paste job...?

dBpoweramp Guru

after a rip using dbpa, one can use dbpa tools to edit the tags and artwork. One can also use, for example, mp3tag. All these subsequent edits change the tag data/artwork on the files wherever they happen to be (on your computer HD for example). The tag editing doesn't necessarily find the correct info for you. I'm referring to doing MANUAL tag editing (where you enter the correct info into the tag editor)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vanblerk View Post

Hey Vanblerk, just checked back in on this thread. So sorry to see how frustrating this has become for you, but like garym says, it really is worth getting over this hump. Honest. Most of us here have been where you are now, and as much as we'd all love some easy, automatic way to just get this done (CDs to NAS to streamer to listening nirvana!), the reality is that it's simply not possible. Short of paying someone else to do it, there's no product or amount of money that streamlines the process.

As I see it, the current state of affairs imposes two inescapable complications. I believe that you are dealing with the second one.

1. First, much of the metadata required to make digital music files usable (by computers, players, etc.) is not contained on the CDs themselves, but has to be obtained elsewhere. That simple fact...that physical separation of music and information about the music...opens the door to all kinds of inaccuracies and omissions that will mess up a digital library if not accounted for. No shortcuts here....ensuring that the information attached to our music files is thorough and accurate requires some manual intervention. The online databases are a huge help...they'll get you about 90% there...but that last 10% is the difference between a trouble-free, easy-to-navigate music library and one that's frustrating, confusing, and disorganized.
    2. Second, there's no firm standard in how the various devices that use/play music files deal with the information attached to the files. So even when we go to the trouble to attach all sorts of identifying and organizing information ("tags") to our music files, we have no guarantee that our players will even see those tags, let alone use them the way we expected.
      Playing audio files is one thing, but just as importantly, players must provide an interface that (ideally) lets us browse, search, navigate....i.e., use....our music library in a pleasant, intuitive way. Ironically, many of the "high end" players, which incorporate all the latest, greatest DACs and other technologies, can really short-change this second part of the task. If their software doesn't use all that meticulously-applied metadata very well, the user-interface makes our digital library seem hard to use. (I believe it's because these boutique companies are run by audiophile engineering geeks for whom the UI, which is essentially a database design task, is an afterthought.)

I think you're seeing a quirk in your player's UI design. Right now, it's not behaving as expected or desired when it sees files that have different ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags, when it sees multiple ARTIST tags, and when it sees the COMPILATION flag. The hope, of course, is that you can go into its settings and change the parameters that control these behaviors. Most (but not all) players offer at least a rudimentary setting that tells the database how to group certain albums....to use the COMPILATION flag or the ALBUM ARTIST tag, when present. I'd start by looking for something like that. (Like garym, I did a quick google search. Looking at the instructions for the iOS Cadence app....yikes, it sure doesn't seem to accommodate much customization.)

Honestly, you may just be dealing with a player that has a rigid, cumbersome interface. Sometimes, you can go back and manipulate your tagging system to account for this, but jeez, you really shouldn't have to do that. (You want them to be "universal," and usable in other players.) Another possible alternative, sometimes, is that you can use the player*...that is, the audio "guts"...in a pass-through way that lets you enjoy its audio quality while using some other playback interface. I have no idea whether the Cyrus players will allow this.

* I'm using the term "player" loosely, as it's commonly used to refer to a couple different parts of the digital music playback chain. The SERVER contains all the music files and makes them available on a network, while the RENDERER is the device (the heart of it is the DAC) that can take the digital info and convert it to analog for output through speakers. The CONTROLLER/player/UI/front end (these terms are often used interchangeably) is the "thing" that we interact with to access, navigate, and control playback of the music. The "thing" is can be a proprietary remote, an iOS or Android device, a computer app, or the like. The Cyrus Xa combines the renderer and controller.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please forgive if unclear.Ive only just downloaded Mp3tag so unsure. Lets Say Ive just Ripped a CD Original In DBPA. but not happy with meta data or Artwork. I know I can fill in Data via tags &using Artwork from Where ever and if one song lets say not right.However, lets say its a double cd with all tracks wrong and artwork not right-can i then go to mp3tag get info and place that back into DBPA Ripp..on computer HD..?. Hope so.Dont know how to yet-Or do I just do a copy and paste job...?
    Yes. The nice thing about a tag editor like mp3tag is that you can load it all....the whole double album, for example, or an entire multi-disc set....and be looking at the whole thing at once. You can correct any individual track tags, if necessary, but you can also select multiple tracks (or select-all), and make global changes for the entire group of files. It's the easiest way to ensure uniformity of things like album art and any tags that should be the same for the whole set.

As garym said, you're just editing the metadata of the files wherever they are. You're not moving them or creating copies, but just editing them right on your HDD.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    Yes. The nice thing about a tag editor like mp3tag is that you can load it all....the whole double album, for example, or an entire multi-disc set....and be looking at the whole thing at once. You can correct any individual track tags, if necessary, but you can also select multiple tracks (or select-all), and make global changes for the entire group of files. It's the easiest way to ensure uniformity of things like album art and any tags that should be the same for the whole set.

As garym said, you're just editing the metadata of the files wherever they are. You're not moving them or creating copies, but just editing them right on your HDD.
    O.K. sorry to sound a Dumbo-But can i take it then you just export the data from mp3tag back to your original dbpa ripp..? so if i right click in windows does this allow me to do mp3tag check and if iam happy select or modify...?Its just iam not used to mp3tag yet..? Whats the difference between metadata and an ID TAG.? is it that an id tag is picked up by the NAS drive to create folder structure and files placement (keep answer Simples peeps!)

dBpoweramp Guru

O.K. sorry to sound a Dumbo-But can i take it then you just export the data from mp3tag back to your original dbpa ripp..? so if i right click in windows does this allow me to do mp3tag check and if iam happy select or modify...?Its just iam not used to mp3tag yet..? Whats the difference between metadata and an ID TAG.? is it that an id tag is picked up by the NAS drive to create folder structure and files placement (keep answer Simples peeps!)
    metadata is just another word for ID TAG. I think the problem is that your a bit confused about where this metadata (ID tag) resides. It is PART OF your digiital music file. So when you edit your ID TAG metadata in your music file (by either dbpa tag editor or mp3tag or any other tag editor), you are simply changing that data within the file itself. You don't need to "export" the data back to your rip. The data is already in your ripped file and all you did was edit it.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hey daleyb,

metadata are data that describe the content of a file, a directory, a database or any kind of information. These metadata can exist as separat data or they can be part of the main information.

In case of audio files there is a standard for metadata. It's called ID-Tag or ID3-Tag. Those metadata are stored within the audio file for some audio formats like mp3 or flac format.

Another known metadata standard is EXIF in case of digital photos.

So what you can do with mp3tag is to edit those metadata / ID Tags like you can do with the right-click function "Edit ID Tag" of dbpa. It should make no difference at all.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    metadata is just another word for ID TAG. I think the problem is that your a bit confused about where this metadata (ID tag) resides. It is PART OF your digiital music file. So when you edit your ID TAG metadata in your music file (by either dbpa tag editor or mp3tag or any other tag editor), you are simply changing that data within the file itself. You don't need to "export" the data back to your rip. The data is already in your ripped file and all you did was edit it.
    I think Sometimes I over complicate things...But just trying to get it right now than mess it up later. I think what I was trying to ask was simply do you have to have tags/ metadata for original cds from Sources like mp3 tag /dbpa's sources to be read correct by NAS/STREAMER. if i put metadata in myself it will still read correctly down the line....?

dBpoweramp Guru

I think Sometimes I over complicate things...But just trying to get it right now than mess it up later. I think what I was trying to ask was simply do you have to have tags/ metadata for original cds from Sources like mp3 tag /dbpa's sources to be read correct by NAS/STREAMER. if i put metadata in myself it will still read correctly down the line....?
    whether you enter the data into tags (metadata) yourself, by typing it in, or whether it is pulled from internet databases when using dbpa or mp3tag, the end result is exactly the same. The data/tag will be saved with your music files and they will be used by your NAS/Streamer etc. Once tag is entered (from any source), that is the tag that is seen by other programs/streamers, etc.