title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Ripping Woody Guthrie's HDCD ASCH Recordings vol 1-4

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spacezman
    • Jan 2012

Ripping Woody Guthrie's HDCD ASCH Recordings vol 1-4

I am trying to rip Woody Guthrie's ASCH Recordings (4 CD's total 1-4) into 24 bit FLAC using the
    HDCD DSP (All discs are supposed to be HDCD and are marked so). I can rip CD's 1,3, and 4 as
    24-bit and are recognized as HDCD discs in the log. Vol 2 however will only rip to 16 bit and is
    not recognized as HDCD. What is the best way for me to verify that is going on here?
    Any help would be appreciated
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Ripping Woody Guthrie's HDCD ASCH Recordings vol 1-4

Play the disc in Windows Media Player, if it is HDCD then the HDCD icon will show in WMP.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Feb 2007

Re: Ripping Woody Guthrie's HDCD ASCH Recordings vol 1-4

Originally posted by spacezman
      I am trying to rip Woody Guthrie's ASCH Recordings (4 CD's total 1-4) into 24 bit FLAC
      As long as you are ripping to lossless, there are very many reasons against decoding HDCD files. A few arguments here: https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthr...l=1*post127114

In brief: Because HDCD is flagged in-signal, you can always do the HDCD decoding later (provided you rip to lossless), but you can never undo it.
      Also, not described therein, I have seen cases where even a decoded HDCD flags that it is a HDCD - who knows whether you get a double effect ...

I decode upon playback. foobar2000 with the foo_hdcd component.

(All discs are supposed to be HDCD and are marked so).
      They need not be. Furthermore, quite a few "HDCDs" utilize no HDCD features - they have only gone through processors that enable HDCD.
      HDCD works in that it (1) flags that it is a HDCD, and then for each HDCD feature flag whenever it is used; if nothing is enabled, then it will still identify as a HDCD.

What is the best way for me to verify that is going on here?
      Assuming that you do not send the signal to a DAC with HDCD-support:

Disable the HDCD DSP and rip as lossless, and then the file can be identified in Windows Media Player (as Spoon suggests). But also in foobar2000 with the foo_hdcd component; it can also tell you which features are used.

Comment

Working...

]]>