title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Finding CD Ripper Almost Useless For Fast Entry of Metadata - Just Me?

Finding CD Ripper Almost Useless For Fast Entry of Metadata - Just Me?

I like DBPowerAmp CD Ripper for the flexible formats I can RIP to but because I mostly use it to RIP music for digital DJing where the metadata pulled in from the online services is almost always missing huge amounts of information I need to search on, is full of typos or has information that is just plain wrong. I have to spend a LOT of time manually entering data for my digitally ripped collection - and I'm finding it the most annoying and unusable PC programme I've ever had for entering data!

Every time you hit Enter to move to the next track you start typing and then a second or two afterwards the cursor jumps back to the start of the input field so your typing gets all messed up and you end up having to move the mouse back to the start of the field, delete the entry and slowly type it all in again. The ONLY way to ensure the data you type appears in the order you type it in is to wait a second or two after you've hit the ENTER key - which is just ridiculous!

Need to enter a missing year for your collection? You enter the first one eg 1982, you hit enter and start typing the next one, maybe 1972 and instead because the cursor jumps while you're typing after you hit Enter you realise the year you've entered is 7219 and then have to manually go back to the field, swipe the contents with the mouse, delete it and slowly re-enter it again.

It is TERRIBLE UX and such a huge time-waste.

I remember back in the early days of writing Visual Basic 6 programs this "Move the cursor back to the start of the field" was a nasty hack to get the cursor to focus in the correct field - you had to introduce a time delay. But it was a terrible hack, and one all modern programmes have long since overcome. But not DbPowerAmp :-(

The problem is wasting me so much time I'm now looking at using another programme to RIP my CDs and will probably move to a Mac.

Doesn't anyone else find this makes the programme almost unusable? Are there ANY plans to fix it?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Finding CD Ripper Almost Useless For Fast Entry of Metadata - Just Me?

Are you doing the edit in the screen that pops up when you click on "review metadata" from perfectmeta or are you doing it in the main ripping screen. If the latter, try the former.

Thanks for the reply Gary. I'm using the main screen. I've looked at the "Review Metadata" option you mention but can't see any way to enter the year for individual tracks. The year field applies only to ALL tracks not just the one selected, even though the "Compilation" box has been ticked on the main screen. This makes it useless for my requirements since year is the field I have the most problems with (it's nearly always missing from retrieved metadata but when you're doing requests at a 70s or 80s night the most important field of all for any searching)

Administrator

Now we have been made aware of it, we can fix for R15.2

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Now we have been made aware of it, we can fix for R15.2
    Good to know. Thanks. Amazed that nobody's reported it before now as it's so "in your face" when entering data.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FastAndFluid View Post
    Good to know. Thanks. Amazed that nobody's reported it before now as it's so "in your face" when entering data.
    I'm not that surprised. Ive ripped several thousand CDs to FLAC and only had to enter fewer than 50 manually, and these were obscure or very recent releases. The metadata actually works pretty well in my case (that said, I have very few classical which is more of a mess). And I never try to have different years on each compilation album tracks. For metadata touch ups I typically use mp3tag.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FastAndFluid View Post
    Doesn't anyone else find this makes the programme almost unusable?
    Yes, I do. I think it's probably due to the assumption that the user will mostly use the retrieved metadata. However, for me, the metadata databases are rubbish and full of errors.

For CDRipper to be used as a user friendly data entry application, it would need a complete design overhaul.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

And while ripper is waiting for you to enter/correct the available metadata, it should be reading and caching the CD so that when you finally have the metadata in good shape, the rip is almost done.

Mike

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Angry Re: Finding CD Ripper Almost Useless For Fast Entry of Metadata - Just Me?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Yes, I do. I think it's probably due to the assumption that the user will mostly use the retrieved metadata. However, for me, the metadata databases are rubbish and full of errors.

For CDRipper to be used as a user friendly data entry application, it would need a complete design overhaul.
    to be honest ive had the same problem.(but thought it was me being new to dbpamp.) the programmes great and functional but not that easy to use with input of metadata.Perhaps spoon and the boys can make it easier.The cursor jumps around like hell-SKIPING from one line to the next.. it makes a boring hard job even harder.I think the prog. too geared up for Original CDS...

Still great though!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

...Any ideas when this may be fixed-updated in new version..the sooner the better-ive got loads to input .

dBpoweramp Guru

I really find the metadata editor primitive too. So much that I often don't bother to submit unknown releases (typically obscure CDs) to freedb - I just enter the artist, and then after ripping I use a different utility to tag.

Even pasting in a tracklist copied from the www is ... much better in foobar2000, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
    And while ripper is waiting for you to enter/correct the available metadata, it should be reading and caching the CD so that when you finally have the metadata in good shape, the rip is almost done.
    Very good idea; an option to rip-now-tag-while-ripping - there could be a "Done!" button, or maybe even better: a "save" button or just your usual Windows dialogue box popping up when you eject the disc:
    You have unsaved tag changes
    [Save and update filenames] [Save tags only] [Discard changes] [Cancel, go back to editing]